A private question for the ladies!

Options
13»

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise calorie expenditure? You may be eating 1300 to 1500 calories but if you net too low, over five consecutive days, it would lead to disruption in LH pulsatility and ovarian function.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a dream come true....

This LOL.

I've only lost 23 lb and I have a lot left to go but so far I haven't noticed any difference... unfortunately.
  • AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hmm, some replies made me worry a bit. I think I'm going to talk to mom for advice (that's always rule number one right) and if it still didn't come in a few days, call the doctor. I just thought it was more common and that many girls would have this issue while losing weight.. I guess not.
  • AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yes.. this happened to me when I was at my lowest body fat % It's called AMENORRHOEA...

I din't have a period for 3 years.. Even if you aren't close to being underweight you can still be affected by AMENORRHOEA.. In my case it was due to overtraining, stress and a very low fat diet.

I would say bump up your calories and try to include some more good healthy fats in your diet. If that doesn't help of course see your doctor :flowerforyou:

Theres actually 2 different types of amenorrhea one is genetic the other is hormonally dictated..

I looked up amenorrhoea and maybe that's the case.

"Women who go through significant weight loss, dieting, or perform considerable amounts of exercise on a regular basis are at risk of developing hypothalamic (or 'athletic') amenorrhoea. It was thought for many years that low body fat levels and exercise related chemicals (such as beta endorphins and catecholamines) disrupt the interplay of the sex hormones estrogen and progesterone. However, recent studies have shown that there are no differences in the body composition, or hormonal levels in amenorrhoeic athletes as compared to regularly cycling athletes. Instead, amenorrhoea has been shown to be directly attributable to a low energy availability. Many women who diet or who exercise at a high level do not take in enough calories to expend on their exercise as well as to maintain their normal menstrual cycles."

I never considered my exercise as extremely vigorous or my deficit to be too large. I'm not starving myself and I'm not losing super rapidly. I don't feel like I'm over-doing it at all so it doesn't make any sense hmm...
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Mine is lighter, shorter and the symptoms are better - as far as pain and moodiness :)
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I never considered my exercise as extremely vigorous or my deficit to be too large. I'm not starving myself and I'm not losing super rapidly. I don't feel like I'm over-doing it at all so it doesn't make any sense hmm...

I didn't either.. I was probably at 13% bodyfat...I didn't have any other symptoms that I thought of at the time.. I definately didn't think I was working out too much either ( i was a personal trainer at the time and looking lean is what kept me making money) =)) But I had an accident that caused me to stop working out and 1 month later my period came back.. after 3 years
  • always_odd
    always_odd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I lost mine for almost a year. Regular exercise and rapid weight loss will cause periods to become lighter or disappear. It's normal to be really light too, but if it doesn't come after a few months see your OB/GYN
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm 20 years old and I never even started menstruating. My body is otherwise developed but I think I've always been high testosterone/low estrogen since I have slightly broader shoulders, narrow hips, and a deeper voice. My gyno said there's no medical need to menstruate and that I shouldn't worry about it.

I would get a second opinion on what your Gyn says... there may be underlying genetic or metabolic imbalances.

I agree. While there's no medical "need" to menstruate, when a woman doesn't menstruate at all there is obviously some underlying issue causing said lack of menstruation. I'm surprised the gyno brushed it off like that. There are way too many lazy doctors out there. I'd get a second opinion.