Are your workouts age-appropriate?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
I started working out just before I hit 30, which I thought was getting on a bit at the time. I went from beginner's aerobics at the YMCA to high-impact and circuit training; from basic gym workouts to lifting heavy; from running for one-minute intervals to a marathon and triathlons.

Now I'm 45 I can't look forward to getting stronger and faster forever. I'm already slowing down and aching for days after a hard workout or any run longer than half an hour. I can't look forward to a PB each time I race a familiar distance.

Am I resigned to Jane Fonda's Prime Time workouts, gentle country strolls to tea shops and pink dumbbells? Should I throw away my Lycra and stick to baggy sweatpants and vintage race t-shirts as a tribute to my glory years? Must I hide my increasingly crêpey skin from my appalled fellow gym-goers?

How have you long-time exercisers adjusted your workouts and goals as the years roll on? Just how far can I push myself without breaking a hip? And should I hide myself away and work out in private for fear of frightening the horses?

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Oh heck no; I jump into workouts like I'm 20-something. My body tells me differently, but I try not to listen.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I see people in their 50's and 60's hitting the weight room all the time. Sometimes they're still setting personal bests. However, at a certain point you are fight to maintain or lose it slowly. Lifting weights in particular is very important to aging people.

Studies show that people have a stronger grip and leg strength live longer and struggle a lot less with mobility issues when they are elderly. For women it is probably even more important as you start with less muscle mass going into later years and have more problems with osteoporosis. Lifting weights can actually help slow or reverse osteoporosis or help prevent it if you do it long term.

High impact cardio on the other hand can really lead to joint issues in old age so as you get older you might want to transition to lower impact cardio.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I vote for pushing yourself to do as much as you can, but really paying attention to your body's signals, so that you don't push too far. Our bodies are amazing, but do take more time to repair themselves as we age. As for hiding yourself away, NO WAY. Strut your bad self with pride. :drinker:
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Well, I figure if 40 is the new 30 then we're doing just fine! :wink: But seriously...ok, so I try and go like gang-busters, but reality is that I'm sore for a long time. And I have nagging shoulder injury that I have to work around and modify things for.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Strut your bad self with pride.
    I LOVE this! Mind if I strut alongside? (43 and in the best physical shape of my life, even if not the thinnest!)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i certainly hope not
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Pfft. There are 60+ year olds at the gym that can out-run, out-lift some of the 20 and 30 years olds no problem. I certainly intent to be one them in 30 years time. Age is only a number.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    i certainly hope not

This. My workouts are over 18 only.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My workouts are age appropriate, for a 30-something who's lazy :drinker:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I figure if I'm capable of doing high impact aerobics in my 80s, then I did it right through my 70s.

Is there such a thing as age-appropriate workouts? I don't put my left foot in, take my left foot out as often, but everything else seems fair game.
  • wswing
    wswing Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Only if you give up!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    LOL - No! Occasionally I go to a Boxing Class and can outlast people 1/2 my age. I'm sure I could definitely out-lift a lot of them as well.

I just get better with age. ;)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's far too late. In fact, it's scrabble and shuffle board for you.

Kidding.
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Strut your bad self with pride.
    I LOVE this! Mind if I strut alongside? (43 and in the best physical shape of my life, even if not the thinnest!)

Same here!!! 43....and in the physical shape of my life, and pretty darn close to be the thinnest I've ever been (when I was the thinnest, I had more of an anorexic look, now I've got an athlete's body! :)

And I'm like you 1brokegal44....got me one of those nagging shoulder injuries too but just ignore. Some days it seems like it's easier to say what ISN'T paining you than saying what is, but I wouldn't give up lifting for nothing!! I'm beside myself lately since we are in the process of moving across the U.S. this week and so packing has taken priority of going to the gym : (
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think I do the workouts meant for 70 year olds.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and almost 300 lbs.. and I'm doing p90X. Dont ever underestimate what your body is capable of.. your only short changing yourself...
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I try not to do anything in the appropriate manner.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    my workouts are toddler level.............................................oh you didnt mean maturity age did ya? sorry

heck no if you retreat into a shell you will age faster.. then by the possible logic of the OP , i guess i shouldnt have STARTED lifting weights at 48

can i keep up with a 20 or 30 yr old ? probably not. but i wanna keep him pushing forward and looking over his shoulder
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Well, I just read recently that the majority of people at the weekly swing dance are in their twenties, so I guess not.

I have to stick to lower impact options because of a degenerated disk in my spine, but I was diagnosed with that in my early twenties. My partner developed arthritis in his knees as a teenager as a reaction to an acne medication. To us, aches pains are independent of age.

If you are having trouble running for half an hour, you may want to talk to your doctor. You may have health concerns that require you to look for low impact options, as well.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I am a personal trainer and have a HIIT certification (Highly Irrational Inappropriate Training). My clients love our workouts.