Are your workouts age-appropriate?

Options

Replies

• BroadwayMary
    Options
    Hello,
    I have quite a few years on you and have worked out on and off all my life, always struggled with that extra 15 or 20 lbs. Have just gone back to working out after two 1/2 years off (had major surgery) the trick is to start off slow and work up steadly. If you do to much to fast you end up being so sore that you cannot get back into the swing so take it slow and you will find you will be able to do more over time. Hope this helps
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My big fitness idol is Tosca Reno. She is 53 and she looks amazing, trains hard and eats clean. She keeps winning fitness competitions. I am 45 and I wish I looked half that :) I definitely start to feel that my body and my joints ache more than they did ten years ago but I want to push as hard as I can.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we all need a "little" help .... I've made "adjustments"

When my knees started giving me grief (52 YO) .... I lowered my step bench ..... but I still DO step

If I wanted to run (my knees wouldn't have it) ...... I could always use a rebounder (mini trampoline). Lots of high impact moves can be done this way ... just tweak things a bit.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have been working out on and off for many years. I am now 49. I have not found a limit when doing strength training that can be attributed to age. However, I just can't do high impact exercise anymore. There are plenty of intense, low impact workouts available - so I just do those. I can still push like I did in my 20s - but the high impact is agony! And I don't even have bad knees!!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Your post makes me glad I didn't start running and lifting until I turned 40! If 45 is the beginning of the end. . .I'm in a bad way. I'm still aiming for PR (PB) at a race even if I don't get it. I'm trying to lift as heavy as possible. And, well, I use a lot of moisturizer to make the skin look less, well, old.

I'm not sure what "age appropriate" is, but if what I'm doing isn't age appropriate. . .at least my wardrobe is! I'd rather be doing a 20-something workout, than try to pull off looking good in 20-something attire. I can not hide, with any amount of make up, hair coloring (which I ditched almost 4 years ago) or clothing, the fact that I'm over 40!

And darned proud of it!!!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My mom is the one who has finally nagged me into weightlifting. She read "Strong Women Stay Young" several years ago, started lifting, and now teaches a Community Education class on weightlifting for retired women.

I suspect my 70 year old mother can press more than me right now. I injured myself a few year back trying to intensify my workout and got depressed and sedentary about it, and I am now a bowl of jelly....
  • rburgess7
    rburgess7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and started the stronglife 5x5 workout 2 weeks ago. The first workout went fine until the next day. I could hardly walk after doing all the squats. Now no problems. I think you have to listen to what your body is telling you but don't resign yourself to the rocking chair yet.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You're 45 not 85.

Age appropriate? HA! I laugh in the face of "appropriate". I'm 44 go partying all night, wearing hot pants and come home @ 8am, *kitten* appropriate!
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    Uhh, no.

I have a friend who's a world-class masters-division marathoner, headed to her 22nd Boston Marathon this year.

Did I mention she's 58? And runs a marathon in 3:30 or less?
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Your post makes me glad I didn't start running and lifting until I turned 40! If 45 is the beginning of the end. . .I'm in a bad way. I'm still aiming for PR (PB) at a race even if I don't get it. I'm trying to lift as heavy as possible. And, well, I use a lot of moisturizer to make the skin look less, well, old.

I'm not sure what "age appropriate" is, but if what I'm doing isn't age appropriate. . .at least my wardrobe is! I'd rather be doing a 20-something workout, than try to pull off looking good in 20-something attire. I can not hide, with any amount of make up, hair coloring (which I ditched almost 4 years ago) or clothing, the fact that I'm over 40!

And darned proud of it!!!
    ^ THIS, the first paragraph :)
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    Are you kidding I Spin, Body pump, Cardio Kick... half 40-50 yr olds and then it drops
    to the young kids 22 and under. We all spin together and its a blast. Same with pump
    I even did zumba with my wife and there were all ages in that.

Do not put limits on yourself.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm fixing to start the Jillian Michaels no more trouble zones not sure what age she is aiming at but I have trouble zones lol, this will be my first experince with weights so we shall see how it goes
  • krazemags
    krazemags Posts: 21
    Options
    I think it comes down to what your body can take. Although watching a little ole' granny do Zumba would be like watching a car accident :)
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You'll have to ask this guy what age appropriate workouts are...

7144975_9781.jpg
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    All I do is watch my max heart rate. I lift hard, workout hard, try to eat right. I'm in better shape at 50 than I was at 35.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reassuring me and making me smile, everyone. My tongue was at least partly in cheek - very little I do in life is age appropriate, after all!

I've entered a 10K race in November, and although I may not break any course records, I've got plenty of time to slowly ramp up the distance without succumbing to too many aches and pains.

Lifting ehacy? I know I need to do it and have made half-arsed attempts in the past, but as of pay day I can afford to join the local no-frills gym and play with some barbells. Stronglifts seems pretty idiot-proof, and, well, I am an idiot!

And when the Insanity TV commercials give me palpitations on a weekend morning, I can remind myself it's not compulsory to do every harder, faster workout thrown my way!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to what your body can take. Although watching a little ole' granny do Zumba would be like watching a car accident :)

WTF? Go to any of the countries where those rhythms originated and you will see plenty of little ole grannies shaking it on the dance floor!

The only thing holding them back in the US is the idea that certain activities are only appropriate for certain age groups!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I LOVE Davina McCall's workout DVDs. They're good and tough but accessible (and funny!), and she's 45, has had three kids and looks incredible!
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'll be 46 and keep searching for the next butt kicking workout that can make me hurt for days.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I look young for my age (sorry). But I've always gone my own way. I thought those aerobics classes in the 80s with all the women dressed like rejects from a Bob Fosse chorus line looked idiotic. Many also have repetitive stress injuries from all the jumping.

Only you can decide how you want to look and act. The main thing is not to overextend yourself. Injuries take longer to heal. I don't like exercising even now, but I still try to do something. It's not critical for weight loss, although it's good for health and can improve your mindset.