Replies

• GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Topic: Success stories eating 1200 net calories
  • ilovemilkymoos
    ilovemilkymoos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This thread is misleading to say the least........

Everyone burns calories just sitting around, sleeping, breathing.... basically at rest.
    This is known as your BMR (basal metabolic rate). This number is different for everyone and is determined by many factors including genes, lifestyle, body mass etc.

If you know your BMR then you know what calories you can consume per day, without exercise and still break even. Any calories taken in above this number is contributing to weight gain.

My rule of thumb is to consume my BMR calories (mine is 1700Kcals) from THE RIGHT TYPE OF FOOD,OFTEN and IN THE CORRECT PROPORTIONS.
    (You can eat below your calorie intake, and still not maintain weight loss if eating the wrong foods).

If you eat too few calories, ie to far below your BMR, you will put your body into starvaion mode, your BMR will reduce, you will be lethargic and tired, irratible and hungry. This is not the ideal situation for staying on a clean, healthy diet and will break your will.

A specific calorie intake that will work for one person, may not work for someone else. Try and aim for your BMR and see how you feel on training days, if you are too tired, eat a small amount more!

As previously said, 1lb of fat = 3500Kcals, but starving yourself is not the answer.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Please please please someone answer this question for me:

How did you become overweight if you CANNOT net 1200 calories in 24 hours regularly?!?!

I DO NOT get this problem AT ALL!
    Because they went from omnirexia to orthorexia.
  • sarahford09
    sarahford09 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So if I eat 2000 calories in food and exercise 800 calories. My net is 1200 calorie.....or do I eat 1200 in food total and exercise 800 calories with a net of 200? Which is the 1200 calories?

The first one. You wanna aim for NET 1200
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    According to my height and activity level I need to eat about 1800-2000 cals a day!!! DAFUQ?!
    how am i supposed to eat that much? Especially clean food

My cals usually average around 1500

Why does it all need to be 'clean'?
  • ronaldlaslo
    ronaldlaslo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ...Think of it like this, I need 1,200 calories to sustain my body which I would get from my food. Once I start exercising, those calories I need to sustain my body are burned away, so that's why you are supposed to eat more. So if I workout today, and I only eat 1,200 calories and burn 500, my NET is 700 which is NOT ENOUGH FOR MY BODY TO SUSTAIN ON. If I were to eat 500 more calories, my total calories would be 1,700, then you minus the 500 from exercise and TA-DA!...my net calories are 1,200 and it matches my goal calories.

This^. It is the most accurate easy to understand explanation of Net calories I have ever seen. THANK YOU!
  • Angold83
    Angold83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, MFP already sets up your deficit. For me, my goal calories are 1,200. Assuming I don't exercise that is what MFP suggests I eat. However, as I add exercise MFP gives me more calories to eat. I think the Weight Watchers program has a similar concept. So once you start exercising, that is when the "net' and "goal" comes into play. Without exercise, my goal calories would simply be 1,200 (a deficit from my maintenance calories which would cause me to lose weight).

So when exercise is incorporated you have to eat some calories back. Think of it like this, I need 1,200 calories to sustain my body which I would get from my food. Once I start exercising, those calories I need to sustain my body are burned away, so that's why you are supposed to eat more. So if I workout today, and I only eat 1,200 calories and burn 500, my NET is 700 which is NOT ENOUGH FOR MY BODY TO SUSTAIN ON. If I were to eat 500 more calories, my total calories would be 1,700, then you minus the 500 from exercise and TA-DA!...my net calories are 1,200 and it matches my goal calories.

This is what I do. Took me a while to understand it all but works for me!
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thank You!
    Can someon explain Net vs. Gross calories to me? I think I understand but I want to make sure :/

Gross is all the calories you consume that day. Net is the calories you consumes MINUS those your burned off after ADDED exercise not including your normal daily routine.

I am SUPPOSE to eat 1200 calories. I NEVER do! I always eat over. However, I will net 1000-1200 calories a day depending on my exercise. On days like today where I am doing cardio and strength training, I eat about 1800 calories and burn 600-700 calories. Technically I am only netting 1200 calories. I feel fine doing this. I think where people freak out about the "1200 rule" is when they don't eat back their exercise calories, I would feel like I was dying if I did that. I have been losing 0.5-1lb a week with this.

:drinker:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If I burn over 300 calories in a work out (I have hit 1100 calories burned via HRM) I wont force my self to hit a 1200 net. It's just too hard. Also I have a fitbit so I get calories burned from that and I don't eat back those just because that's normal every day walking with some extra.

That is why eating good fat is important. You must eat fat to burn fat. You need a MINIMUM of 45 grams of fat every day just to stay healthy. Fat is vital to every hormonal process in the body. The walls of every cell in our body are primarily composed of fat. Essential fatty acids are just that--essential. The no fat/low fat nonsense of the last thirty years has made for a lot of sick people now that the chickens are coming home to roost with those in their mature years (and even the not so mature years). Fats are concentrated sources of calories that help to keep a metabolism humming. If you include more fat, you will not have any trouble getting to your 1200 net calories. Fat has a very high satiety factor. Our ancestors ate more fat than we do and yet they were slender. What they didn't eat were the horrendous amounts of sugar that we include in our diets. In 1900, the average person ate 5 pounds of sugar per year. Now, it is estimated that the average person eats 150 pounds of sugar per year (and about 50% of it is embedded in processed food). It does nothing to nourish a body other than provide calories. No vitamins, no minerals (and minerals are vital to health) and no protein or fat.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    ...Think of it like this, I need 1,200 calories to sustain my body which I would get from my food. Once I start exercising, those calories I need to sustain my body are burned away, so that's why you are supposed to eat more. So if I workout today, and I only eat 1,200 calories and burn 500, my NET is 700 which is NOT ENOUGH FOR MY BODY TO SUSTAIN ON. If I were to eat 500 more calories, my total calories would be 1,700, then you minus the 500 from exercise and TA-DA!...my net calories are 1,200 and it matches my goal calories.

This^. It is the most accurate easy to understand explanation of Net calories I have ever seen. THANK YOU!

Well--it's a little more complicated than that (it's not linear) but for our purposes, it will work. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    According to my height and activity level I need to eat about 1800-2000 cals a day!!! DAFUQ?!

Because some people (especially small women) must skate dangerously close to the absolute minimum of sustenance in order to shed body fat. When she restricts calories to that point, every mouthful must be a nourishing one or she will get sick (been there, done that, I didn't like it, no one does). There is no room for the empty calories of sugar or other "artificial food". If the woman is a high performance athlete (say an Olympic gymnast or weight-lifter) she can afford some junk food in the large caloric total that she must have to fuel her level of exercise. Most of us are not in that category. :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Because some people (especially small women) must skate dangerously close to the absolute minimum of sustenance in order to shed body fat. When she restricts calories to that point, every mouthful must be a nourishing one or she will get sick (been there, done that, I didn't like it, no one does). There is no room for the empty calories of sugar or other "artificial food". If the woman is a high performance athlete (say an Olympic gymnast or weight-lifter) she can afford some junk food in the large caloric total that she must have to fuel her level of exercise. Most of us are not in that category. :wink:

The poster mentioned 1,800 - 2,000...context....
  • ludmildaperalta
    Options
    Thank you ladies who have helped me figure out Net calories.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hi looking for peeps that generally net / have 1200 cals daily ????
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yep, I NET around 1200 calories a day.

I was eating 1500 every day whether or not I was exercising or not and it was inconsistent.

Then I bought a HRM, set my calories to 1300 (which is prescribed by MFP) and now eat back exercise calories to net 1200.

I feel I have more energy as I am eating what my body requires for the day.

And I am seeing steady results on the scales doing this!
  • UFITYETXX
    UFITYETXX Posts: 38
    Options
    Great explanation, thanks!!
  • Angelym08
    Angelym08 Posts: 3
    Options
    I make it a goal to always hit 1200 net calories daily but that's not including strength exercises (dumbbells) which is important since I have huge flabby arms. xD...
    Do you burn calories when doing tricep or bicep exercises? I'm just a little conscious bec. I read somewhere that you only burn calories when doing cardio. And if that is not true I may be consuming less than 1200 calories daily.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yup you lose calories when doing tricep/bicep exercises. Anything you do that does work or generates heat ends up losing calories.
  • farhanmir
    farhanmir Posts: 1
    Options
    Apart from calories, should I be thinking about percentage of fat tht I'm taking? Fr example if I need to take in 1200 calories and I'm using a lot of oil cooked things, butter and cheese and coke.. Should I lessen those or is it all about the calorie intake? My focus is losing my belly rest o the body is lean
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    You should track your food for a few days including the oil, butter, cheese and soda that you eat and then you will be able to see if you should include them or not. Just calculated the amount of calories for each item those are quite high for very small quantities.