Skipping Breakfast (on the reg)

Options
I know there are a million studies saying that you should not skip breakfast, but days when I skip breakfast my overall caloric intake is less and I tend to eat better. Days when I load up on breakfast, my stomach is growling 2 hours later and I tend to eat much more. I've been drinking a big glass of water upon waking and doing warm lemon water "tea" afterwards until lunch (at 12) and that seems to be working for me. Does anyone else "cheat" and blow off breakfast? Or drink tea or juice instead? Please share what's working for you!

Replies

• markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    it's fine, you're good. Especially if you're not working out on an empty stomach
  • nberr
    nberr Posts: 29
    Options
    Well the first meal of the day is "breaking the fast" so what name you choose is semantics. I fast from 7pm to 11am usually most days and have black coffee first thing in the morning and nothing else. Some people will try to tell you how important eating on waking is but it doesn't matter; do what works for you.

If not eating until lunch works, keep at it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I know there are a million studies saying that you should not skip breakfast, but days when I skip breakfast my overall caloric intake is less and I tend to eat better.

I would suggest you keep skipping breakfast.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I very rarely skip breaksfast. I normally eat a large amount of protein. I seem to be able to go for hours without being hungry. Everyone is different. This is just works for me. If I eat high carb breakfast I'm hungry in a short time.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    a million studies ? show us 1
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What currently seems to be working for me is bulletproof coffee. basically, I put 1 tbs coconut oil and 1 tbs unsalted grass-fed butter and this morning I added half a scoop of chocolate protein whey isolate. Then I mix it all with a frother until it's foamy and creamy. It keeps me full until about lunch and it's about the same amount of calories I'd normally eat for breakfast anyway, only with much less annoyance.
  • akitagirl78
    akitagirl78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and end up doing better the rest of the day too.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    "on the Reg" hahaha, let me rephrase my response " aye yo! just do you girl, your on point wit yo goals so don't trip, HOller!"
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The only reason breakfast is recommended so strongly is because several studies have shown a correlation between people eating breakfast and people eating less. This doesn't mean all people, just a large group of people. If you don't like it and feel better without it, you don't need to eat it. I'm not a big fan of it, personally.

Oh, and before anyone else says otherwise, breakfast does not "jump start" your metabolism. Skipping breakfast will not put you in starvation mode.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with skipping breakfast as long as you're still eating well.

I do wonder what it is you've been eating for breakfast, though, that has you hungry a couple hours later simply because I know I felt that way when I didn't have enough protein in mine.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    i never eat breakfast
  • noelie365
    noelie365 Posts: 13
    Options
    "on the Reg" hahaha, let me rephrase my response " aye yo! just do you girl, your on point wit yo goals so don't trip, HOller!"

lol thanks! Having to eat breakfast must be a mom-ism. I love how supportive you guys are!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Seems like it's working well for you, so keep doing what you're doing. As long as you eat enough calories to fuel your body properly and yet few enough to maintain a small deficit, it doesn't matter what time of day you eat, IMO.

ETA: some days I eat breakfast, some days I just have coffee in the early morning. Depends on whether or not I am hungry. when I just have coffee I have more calories for later in the day, which is always a bonus. I just try to pay attention to my hunger cues and go with those.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I do better with a 300-400 calorie breakfast, about two hours after I wake up, but you should do what works best for you.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat the calories. If skipping breakfast works for you, keep doing it.
  • skilvington
    skilvington Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat breakfast as cannot face eating until I have been up for at least a couple of hours. Good to know I am not the only one. I shall continue to save my calories for when I am ready for them
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you are that hungry 2 hours after eating breakfast, then I would venture a guess (without looking into it) that you might not be eating all that filling of food for breakfast. I do a protein shake with milk in the morning for breakfast around 7a.m. and that holds me over until around noon at least normally, but everyone is different.

The key to sticking with a diet is finding what works for you, so if not eating breakfast works, then keep at it. You're at a point now, depending on when you stop eating for the day that intermittent fasting could work for you if you wanted to look into it, just sayin...
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I know there are a million studies saying that you should not skip breakfast, but days when I skip breakfast my overall caloric intake is less and I tend to eat better. Days when I load up on breakfast, my stomach is growling 2 hours later and I tend to eat much more. I've been drinking a big glass of water upon waking and doing warm lemon water "tea" afterwards until lunch (at 12) and that seems to be working for me. Does anyone else "cheat" and blow off breakfast? Or drink tea or juice instead? Please share what's working for you!

Most studies about skipping breakfast are flawed in their design and base conclusions on correlation, not causation. Skipping breakfast is fine - I've done it for 3 years with nothing but success. I even recommend it to my clients some of whom prefer a 24hr fast once or twice a week - leaner individuals prefer daily 16 hr fasts.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating much in the morning. Never have been a big breakfast person (although I like a good weekend brunch sometimes). I have coffee, and if I'm hungry mid-morning, I keep oatmeal & granola bars in my desk. I eat a big lunch & a good dinner with a snack or two during the day. It's what works for me. Do what works for you! :)
  • George1567
    George1567 Posts: 107
    Options
    The 10 or so months when I went from near 300 pounds down to the 205 range where I have been holding since last summer I almost never ate until noon time. This was also after my daily workout. I was always happy with my work in the gym and by waiting was still able to have some sizable meals the rest of the day. Everyone is different and finding what works is all that matters in the end.