Skipping Breakfast (on the reg)

Options

Replies

• slfordstthomas
    slfordstthomas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know there are a million studies saying that you should not skip breakfast, but days when I skip breakfast my overall caloric intake is less and I tend to eat better.

I would suggest you keep skipping breakfast.

I agree. Do what works best for you! As long as you don't "binge" at lunch, you're good!
  • DWF65203
    DWF65203 Posts: 10
    Options
    My take is that it doesnt matter. I never ate breakfast but when I joined MFP I started. I find 1) it helps me eat less during the day and 2) since I have been eating so much less during the day I actually wake up hungry and need breakfast. Ultimately it is calorie in / calorie out though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am not a breakfast eater at all! I did start because like you said studies show..... But I found myself forcing to eat when I wasn't hungry. So now I eat something when I get hungry. But I do Have coffee.

The studies show a correlation in situations where caloric intake is not restricted.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat breakfast as cannot face eating until I have been up for at least a couple of hours. Good to know I am not the only one. I shall continue to save my calories for when I am ready for them

Yup I am exactly the same. I only eat brunch at weekends when I can have it much later.
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from person to person

Me personally if I eat breakfast my body goes crazy and as you said I eat close to my calories if not go over and feel like I am starving all day

Now my husband on the other hand has to eat breakfast and it keeps him eating normal the whole day if he does not eat breakast he wants to binge
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    it's fine, you're good. Especially if you're not working out on an empty stomach

Why is it bad to work out on an empty stomach? I like my tummy to be growling when I workout. If not, I get queasy.

Nothing wrong with working out on an empty stomach if you can handle it. Some people have to, due to getting nauseous if they've eaten recently (like yourself). It is generally recommended to eat something post-workout if you're gonna workout fasted, however. You will probably be stupidly hungry by that point anyway.

Myself, I work out much better just after I've eaten. I get grumpy during my workout if I haven't eaten. I don't have any stomach troubles though.

Also, a very interesting article on breakfast: http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

I haven't eaten breakfast in years, myself.
  • beautifulone2
    beautifulone2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is very important. It depends on what you are eating that is causing you to be hungry later.
    I personally have to eat 6 small meals a day or my body goes into starvation mode.
    Fiber and protein are to great items that will help keep you full longer.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. This is one of the major reasons I started practicing intermittent fasting. I really already was for the most part, I just cut my eating hours shorter by a little.

I almost never eat breakfast. I like coffee but the second I eat breakfast, I am ravenous for the rest of the day. I've tried high protein, high fiber, etc... To me it doesn't matter what I eat, just having eaten that early makes me uncomfortably hungry. I usually don't eat until 12-2pm and I find it easier to stick with my calorie goals and I enjoy my meals more instead of feeling driven to eat as much as possible.

Also, I haven't seen any causal studies that show that breakfast does anything for you. Most of them just say that thinner people eat breakfast. It doesn't mean they are thinner BECAUSE they eat breakfast.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    My calories for the day also tend to be higher when I eat breakfast. I am not usually hungry in the morning and am just fine having my first meal a few hours after I wake up (which is lunchtime). I think it's nonsense to say you have to eat at a certain time to lose weight.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I used to eat breakfast the moment I woke up. But I was always hungry 2 hours later (so about 10am).

So now I wait until 10am (sometimes even 11am) to eat breakfast (same food, just later) and this way i avoid having to eat a snack between breakfast and lunch.

It's a revelation! I realised it was habit eating early and actually my tummy isn't growling for food until about 10am anyway.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I used to eat breakfast the moment I woke up. But I was always hungry 2 hours later (so about 10am).

So now I wait until 10am (sometimes even 11am) to eat breakfast (same food, just later) and this way i avoid having to eat a snack between breakfast and lunch.

It's a revelation! I realised it was habit eating early and actually my tummy isn't growling for food until about 10am anyway.

Started doing the same thing with same results. I now drink my morning coffee until about 11. Then i eat breakfast, then I don't eat lunch until about 3 in the afternoon. Great results so far.
  • _Lucy__
    _Lucy__ Posts: 1
    Options
    Back when I weighed 9lbs more I never ate breakfast and I think that was bad for me. Now in the morning I drink 500ml of water and workout for 20 minutes or so, then I have coffee and some healthy cereals, my breakfast never reaches 100 calories and I think I tend to do better with my diet because I have boosted my metabolism early in the day.
    But whatever works for you I suppose is the best thing to do. :)
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Do what is right for you.

I do not eat breakfast for the same reason. I am hungry all day long when I do. I have my coffee and I am good.
    I have my yogurt at 10 and eat lunch at 1.

It works for me.

One size does not fit all!
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is for dinner.. just my 2 cents!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I know there are a million studies saying that you should not skip breakfast, but days when I skip breakfast my overall caloric intake is less and I tend to eat better.

however, she said she "loads up" when she does have breakfast. I agree that breakfast is the most important for many different reason, so maybe you should try to protein smoothie instead of loading up. But in the end, do what works for you
  • beelee44
    beelee44 Posts: 1
    Options
    I try a small breakfast (1 egg scrambled) with in an hour of waking up and i used to hate it!! and now i have adjusted to it, and i follow that with a snack at 9:30 lunch at 11:30 a snack at 3 dinner at 6 and a evening snack at 8 i also include 8 cups of water a day. i find that helps keep matablizim up and gives me energy throu the day. breakfast gets you going and starts your metabalizim..dont skip it :)
  • Eigelluh
    Eigelluh Posts: 2
    Options
    The thing about breakfast is that it gets your digestive system going, by skipping breakfast you might end up constipated.
    Your body will metabolise food better if you do eat breakfast.
    Have something that is high fiber like cereal or fruit.
  • barrattandrew
    Options

^^ this works for me too - I only have it if I wake up and am absolutely starving. then a small serving of porridge gets me through!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The thing about breakfast is that it gets your digestive system going, by skipping breakfast you might end up constipated.
    Your body will metabolise food better if you do eat breakfast.
    Have something that is high fiber like cereal or fruit.

huh?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast person. I rarely have actual food for breakfast, however I do usually drink a protein shake of some sort, but not immediately upon waking. It usually takes me a couple hours to get around to it. It hasn't seemed to hinder my weight loss or anything else.
    I feel best this way, as food breakfasts tend to either make me hungrier sooner in the day or lethargic for part of the day.
    As long as you're getting your calorie amount for the day and are making good choices, I wouldn't worry about it.