Trail running pals, I need you!

Options
2»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I run trails. I do ultras. I'm about to leave my 40s and go into the next age bracket. I'll still enter road races but not as much as I used to. I enter trail races but mostly at the 50k distance and above. I really enjoy just opening a map and exploring places I haven't run in before. I've gotten very comfortable route finding and have only gotten a little bit lost (so far).
    Hey, thanks for your post! You made me laugh a bit since I'm already in the 50's age bracket, at 51. Also, I've only been lost once. I was lucky though, my teenage daughter was in my truck and I had my cell phone. I had to have her honk the horn until I found her. LOL It was kind of scary though because it was getting dark fast and I had to make 'off trail' shortcuts. Yikes. A valuable lesson, indeed!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I need some trail running pals to help motivate me and teach me things they have learned from experience. If you're 40+, even better, but it's not required. If you do wish to add me, please tell me why so I know who you are.
    Thank you kindly!

i try and run trails on the weekends. during the week it's either treadmill or street running. i do love running the trails even though it is MUCH HARDER. it's so peaceful. oh feel free to add me. i'll be 41 in april. :)
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Regarding hills, me choosing to run or walk up one depends on a lot of factors – grade, length of climb, overall distance of the run, racing or training, etc. Since most of my trail runs are in the 20+ mile category and the hills look like those in my profile picture (multiple 6-7% grade, 1-2 mile long climbs) there is going to be some power walking involved. I usually monitor my heart rate on these climbs. If it goes above whatever threshold I set I walk, below it I start to run.

Then there is snail’s pace reserved for especially heinous climbs. I was in the middle of a 20 mile training run recently exploring a new area when I found myself on a climb that was a little over 2 miles long at 11% grade. I was going about as fast as a banana slug yet my heart was wanting to jump right out of my chest.

Heck, I’ve walked passed people who were trying to run up hills. So my answer to running or walking is - it depends. Redlining on a hill is its own perverse sort of fun and has its time and place. Being smart is knowing when that is.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'm primarily a road runner but have gotten into trails a bit (going to run my first trail 22k in May, am eyeing my first ultra in late summer). I've always heard that if you can't see the top of a hill, walk, but I am a stubborn goat as well.

the most difficult thing for me has been accepting my slower pace on trails. I am loving the views though :) Feel free to add, though I am just entering my 30s.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I guess walking the trails would strengthen your ankles but its going to take longer if your trying to balance it around work as its going to take alot longer to put the same amount of miles in.

Not a fan of waterproof trainers, there good for keeping the water out but if you run though a stream there also very good a keeping water in.

Cut your toenails or lose them, running downhill gives them a right battering.

Dont wait for the mud to go, go play in it. For me its the thrill of being out in the elements and enjoying nature at its best. Just look at my profile pic, happy as a pig in mud.