Dancer bodies?

Options

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    A large part of the difference is just positioning, you how the body builder in flexed poses and the ballerina in stretched out poses. The difference would be less noticeable in identical poses.

The routines and diets are also very different. Ballerinas don't bulk on purpose. Ballerinas do very repetitive exercises, like 100 tendus,to build their endurance without adding bulk.

And, as many have said, genetics. Many a little girl has had her dreams frustrated because you can't get on pointe with flat feet, and big hips are generally frowned upon in ballet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Rephrase.

Why do some women have the chunkier muscles like Zuzanna, and others have longer, lean muscles? Maybe I'm not asking this question right?

Partly it is genetics. The same reason some people have curly dark hair and some have straight blond hair.

The rest is training. The same reason speed skaters have absolultey huge thighs and figure skaters don't.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    my understanding is, putting genetics aside, you have one person who trains to build muscle and one who doesnt.

also, ballerinas have a lot of pressure to look a certain way. I think it also can lead to more disordered eating. Read it in a scientific study somewhere but don't care enough to look it up.... you can't get muscles like the first girl while starving yourself.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Zuzanna is WAY hotter!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Strength training is going to bulk you up, your going to have a toned look and a very visble defined look. When your a dancer you do not want a defined look, you want a smooth gentle look the way a dancer trains her body is by stretching, constricting, balance, and core. Your movements are very controlled and concentration is very important. When your weight training your focused on the muscles your building at the time not every single one at once. If your looking for a true understanding i suggest looking into a dancers workout they have one they have been advertising.

If you want a toned, hard, defined look strength train with bouts of cardio.

If you want a smooth gentle look core, cardio, and balance are key.

pretty much nonsense here

Why do you think that? :smile:

Most people should have stopped reading here: "Strength training is going to bulk you up" . Preposterous claim.

Intense focused strength training in a calorie surplus will bulk you up. As a woman, it will take you YEARS to bulk.

Nobody is going to accidentally bulk up. That's like taking a minimum wage job and accidentally becoming a millionaire.

The "toned, hard, defined look" comes with very low body fat. Again this will never happen by accident. You work your *kitten* for for it.

The smooth gentle look comes with a higher body fat. Strength training is still advised. You still work your *kitten* off, but you don't have to take it as far

There are literally hundreds of threads on this.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Rephrase.

Why do some women have the chunkier muscles like Zuzanna, and others have longer, lean muscles? Maybe I'm not asking this question right?

It's how their bodies are?
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Aren't ballet dancers notorious for eating disorders? Logically, working that hard and eating less food would lead to smaller muscle mass and smaller "leaner" muscles....and eventual cardiac arrest but hey, good looks, right?
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Aren't ballet dancers notorious for eating disorders? Logically, working that hard and eating less food would lead to smaller muscle mass and smaller "leaner" muscles....and eventual cardiac arrest but hey, good looks, right?

I have no idea. Maybe I shouldn't have used the ballet dancers as an example. I really just meant athletic women that don't have the chunky muscle look, and dancers are usually a good example of that.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    They train differently and genetics. And probably how much/what they eat. I would much rather look like Zuzanna!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    One of them is exposing more skin, lifting heavy things, and flexing. The other has most of her muscle hidden by clothing, is not lifting heavy things or flexing most of her muscles?
  • taso42
    Options
    See this link for examples of how body fat percentage affects physique

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Strength training is going to bulk you up, your going to have a toned look and a very visble defined look. When your a dancer you do not want a defined look, you want a smooth gentle look the way a dancer trains her body is by stretching, constricting, balance, and core. Your movements are very controlled and concentration is very important. When your weight training your focused on the muscles your building at the time not every single one at once. If your looking for a true understanding i suggest looking into a dancers workout they have one they have been advertising.

Most people should have stopped reading here: "Strength training is going to bulk you up" . Preposterous claim.

Intense focused strength training in a calorie surplus will bulk you up. As a woman, it will take you YEARS to bulk.

Nobody is going to accidentally bulk up. That's like taking a minimum wage job and accidentally becoming a millionaire.

The "toned, hard, defined look" comes with very low body fat. Again this will never happen by accident. You work your *kitten* for for it.

The smooth gentle look comes with a higher body fat. Strength training is still advised. You still work your *kitten* off, but you don't have to take it as far

I stand corrected then. This man has quite te reputation thankyou for the education.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

All of this is just a big, fat, no.

Just no.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

Thank you!

P.S. I understand that you can't accidentally bulk up. Even though Zuzanna has a different muscular look, I wasn't implying she was bulky. :smile:
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options

All of this is just a big, fat, no.

Just no.

Obviously, if you will see my above response i stand corrected by taso no need too bring it back to my attention.
  • taso42
    Options

Thank you!

P.S. I understand that you can't accidentally bulk up. Even though Zuzanna has a different muscular look, I wasn't implying she was bulky. :smile:

She is very lean. Around 15% or less body fat. Depending on your goals, you may want to shoot for, say, 18 or 20% body fat, which is a softer look, yet still lean.
  • taso42
    Options

I stand corrected then. This man has quite te reputation thankyou for the education.

:flowerforyou:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I'll just drop this off here, this is a good friend of mine who is a professional dancer:

ERoBkBw.jpg

Edited to add: This is obviously a move that requires strength and power to pull off, as evidenced by her musculature. I think the idea that dancers have to have some "willowy" form is an insult to the strength they build from their hard work. It's not all barre exercises and gentle flowing moves. My youngest sister is also a dancer, has been for 20 years, and I have several friends that do the same thing.
  • willowdancer
    Options

I'm not trying to be contrary or anything, but I do want to point out that most ballet dancers (at least those who compete or dance professionally) can't afford to have an eating disorder. Most of them practice 3+ hours a day minimum and are constantly working on their endurance, form, and choreography. No human can support that kind of calorie burn without eating. You aren't going to survive competing against other dancers for a coveted position in a dance company if you are light headed or weak from hunger. The stereotype that ballet dancers starve themselves is misinformed.

To answer the original poster a big difference of why the muscles on a woman who lifts heavy and body builds look different than the muscles of a woman who focuses on strength and endurance (other than genetics) is the way they train. You can take, for example, the difference between sprinters and long distance runners. Sprinters have large, muscular thighs to deliver powerful bursts of energy, while long distance runners have thinner legs that are very muscular but not at all large when compared to the legs of sprinters. Different ways of exercising get you different results. No one who wants larger muscles is going to do 30 reps with a light weight; that will tone the muscle and increase endurance, but it will not make the muscle larger. Doing fewer reps of the heaviest weight you can will build you larger muscles.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Why do they have such a different look? Their muscles seem longer and more stretched out.

Is this a real thread? Am I being trolled? Muscles are "stretched out"? Some PUHLEEEZE get me an anatomy book and show me pics of stretched out muscles.

Zuska has a lower level of bodyfat to go along with more muscles. Take any one of your dancer bodies and get them down to 14% BF and won't be no mo "stretched out"

skwLPSO.gif