The Fasting Diet ???

Has anyone tried this Fasting Diet??? I just bought the book on amazon...just wondering peoples thoughts

Replies

• thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    It's nothing special.

Are you going to do it forever? If not, don't start now.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    It's nothing special.

Well that gets my prize for nonsensical comment of the day. Hurrah!
  • thisisme13
    It's nothing special.

Well that gets my prize for nonsensical comment of the day. Hurrah!

I guess you don't actually have anything constructive to add to the thread.

Any diet that claims to detoxify the body, cleanse the body, and tells you to not consume any real food for a week is a waste of time in my opinion. You can't survive on juice for a week. Your body cleanses and detoxed itself.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    I love every aspect of it. The weight loss is my favourite part but it has also given me an energy boost, a change of attitude towards food and generally made me feel good. For five days a week I enjoy eating foods I love and even have a few treats (curry, pizza, drinks) completely guilt free and on the two days I fast I drink plenty of water and feel more energetic than ever. I intend to fast for one day every week once I hit goal weight to maintain and also because I enjoy the benefits of fasting and would much rather be a careful calorie counter for one day per week and relax and eat the foods I love most of the time (obviously not over indulging all the time though which I don't feel like doing since starting this) than spend every single day calorie counting. I no longer feel like I am 'on a diet'. I've just changed how I eat and it's so much easier than I thought it would be. Look up the documentary 'Eat, fast and live longer' on dailymotion for more information (and inspiration. ). You will get people on here who have no knowledge about intermittent fasting telling you how awful it is and talking about 'starvation more' but you are better off doing your research and talking to people who do it before deciding if it's something you want to do. :smile:
  • MsPudding

Any diet that claims to detoxify the body, cleanse the body, and tells you to not consume any real food for any portion of time is a waste of time.

I presume the op is talking about 'the fast diet' which is 5:2 fasting and most certainly does NOT claim to detoxify the body, or cleanse or indeed ensure that it's wafted by the gentle fanning of palm fronds held by half naked natives. It also doesnt tell you not to eat 'real' food.

There you go....constructive input dear woman.
  • MyersCrystal
    MyersCrystal Posts: 52 Member
    I'm not sure about what the Fasting Diet involves, but I have heard that a maximum 24 hour fast no more than one day per week is beneficial for the body. I'm thinking of trying that this week. It is a complete fast meaning just water only that day. Interesting notion.
  • TeresaB1979
    To be clear I am talking about the 5:2 fasting diet. Never heard of a diet that involves not eating for a week! I could never do anything like that nor would I want to. :wink:
  • [/quote]

"Any diet that claims to detoxify the body, cleanse the body, and tells you to not consume any real food for any portion of time is a waste of time.
    [/quote]

I'd agree with this because of my own personal experience however I acknowledge that everyone is different. I did the no eating on certain days and at certain times for years and yes, I was thinner but it stopped working at some point so I had to find other ways to get the same effect as the "Fasting". I ended up an anorexic and bulimic because of using fasting as a weight loss tool. I didn't actually think of it as a weight loss tool at the time but in hindsight that is exactly what I was doing -- trying to cut calories so I would be smaller. In between fasting I'd eat everything that wasn't bolted down and didn't run away, drink beer and wine and smoke pot, cigarettes and do drugs from sun up to late into the night every day. Somehow it never occurred to me that I was harming myself.

It has been my experience that restricting and denying foods doesn't work.

My hope is that you will find another way to lose/maintain your weight. You can do it by using this site or others like it to find what the suggested weight is for your age, height and lifestyle; find out the number of calories it is suggested that you eat per day in order to get to the suggested weight, then plan and eat meals each day that are based on that caloric amount. I enjoy three meals per day and three snacks per day that are delicious and leave me comfortably full. I don't have any foods that I will not eat but I do try to stick with the amount of suggested calories. Some days I don't and that is okay. I am still eating far less than I was before I started planning my meals using MSP. What I have found is there is no easier softer way to having a smaller body. I have to do the daily work that is comfortable for me and more than anything I have to stick with it and not get discouraged because after three days I haven't lost 10 lbs or 40 lbs in a couple of weeks. I feel better regardless of what I weigh. I look better because I have hope now that I didn't have two months ago.

Hope this helps you and best of luck to you. You can do this!
  • thisisme13
  • thisisme13
    It seems like there is confusion between two diets.. still waiting on the OP to say exactly which one they are talking about...
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    I agree nothing special but my dad is doing it and has had great results. He does 2 days a week with 600 cals - you have to plan carefully so that you have enough energy but he has no trouble sticking to his and doesnt get hungry.
  • See http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Martin (the "owner" of that site) has a ton of great, well-researched information on fasting. He prefers the 16/8 regime (16 hours of fasting followed by 8 hours of feeding), but he talks about 24-hour fasts as well. There's a lot of good, science-backed information on that site.
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    I agree nothing special but my dad is doing it and has had great results. He does 2 days a week with 600 cals - you have to plan carefully so that you have enough energy but he has no trouble sticking to his and doesnt get hungry.

Dont know if worth mentioning that this diet was recommended by his GP
  • TeresaB1979
    What makes me want to do it? Well I am doing it for six weeks now and with great results (please see my other post on this thread). What made me want to do it was watching a documentary about the health benefits of Fasting called 'Eat, fast and live longer' by Dr. Michael Mosely which featured some inspiring information with regard to the over all health benefits that fasting can give you.. Also, I am a person who hates to constantly calorie count and feel like I am on a diet so for me this lifestyle is ideal. The 'fast' days are also not 100% fast days- you can consume 500 calories so it's not as extreme as a total fast. It might not be for everyone but for me and many others it's a refreshing change and something that is surprisingly easy to do. I actually enjoy the 'fast' days and I REALLY enjoy my 'normal' eating days... Also, I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose but this is getting rid of it. For me it's win win. :smile:
  • thisisme13

Any diet that claims to detoxify the body, cleanse the body, and tells you to not consume any real food for any portion of time is a waste of time.

I presume the op is talking about 'the fast diet' which is 5:2 fasting and most certainly does NOT claim to detoxify the body, or cleanse or indeed ensure that it's wafted by the gentle fanning of palm fronds held by half naked natives. It also doesnt tell you not to eat 'real' food.

There you go....constructive input dear woman.

My comment was based on "The Fasting Diet" which is what was posted

The OP has yet to say it was something different.

I thought this site was for support and motivation... not to deal with the attitudes of others.
  • TeresaB1979
    To be clear I am talking about the 5:2 fasting diet. Never heard of a diet that involves not eating for a week! I could never do anything like that nor would I want to. :wink:

What makes you want to do this diet?? It won't result in more weight loss than any other way of eating. It is good for some but not for others. Ultimately, don't do a diet you won't continue with forever.

I think you might have been confusing me with the OP? Either way I have replied to you just now. :wink:
  • MsPudding

That diet can be good for some but not for others. It's ultimately still nothing super special. If the OP isn't going to do it forever than there's no point to start now. It works for some, not for others. Everyone needs to pick something that they will stick to forever or it just becomes another temporary fad diet. People seem to think the Fast Diet is some special diet that will make you lose more weight than eating normally within calories.

I thought this site was for support and motivation... not to deal with the attitudes of others.

Sorry but your post is still totally illogical....if she's not going to do it 'forever' she shouldn't start now??? By that logic then all the legions of other people who've come here to lose weight by eating a calorie deficit shouldn't start now because they won't be eating that way forever.

This site is for support and motivation but when someone who is CLEARLY ignorant about the various fasting plans out there comes right the box spouting drivel about 'cleansing' then expect to be called on it.

Op - the rundown is that the 5:2 diet doesn't suit everyone but if it suits you, go for it. The plan is very simple - eat your TDEE (maintenance level calories) 5 days a week and 500 calories on 2, non-consecutive days split up however you want. The 2 days at 500 gives you your weekly deficit.

The upsides are that it doesn't involve daily restrictions so suits people who don't like weighing every little thing every day. The downsides are that some people get hungry on the 2 days and the worst downside is that you'll tend to get a lot of twerps telling you that you're 'starving yourself', that you should 'eat normally' and generally that you're ruining your health, metabolism and possibly going to burn in a fiery pit for all eternity with your toes getting nibbled by wee imps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Lol, no ones sees the oxymoron here? How the hell do you diet while fasting?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thisisme13

That diet can be good for some but not for others. It's ultimately still nothing super special. If the OP isn't going to do it forever than there's no point to start now. It works for some, not for others. Everyone needs to pick something that they will stick to forever or it just becomes another temporary fad diet. People seem to think the Fast Diet is some special diet that will make you lose more weight than eating normally within calories.

Sorry but your post is still totally illogical....if she's not going to do it 'forever' she shouldn't start now??? By that logic then all the legions of other people who've come here to lose weight by eating a calorie deficit shouldn't start now because they won't be eating that way forever.

This site is for support and motivation but when someone who is CLEARLY ignorant about the various fasting plans out there comes right the box spouting drivel about 'cleansing' then expect to be called on it.

Op - the rundown is that the 5:2 diet doesn't suit everyone but if it suits you, go for it. The plan is very simple - eat your TDEE (maintenance level calories) 5 days a week and 500 calories on 2, non-consecutive days split up however you want. The 2 days at 500 gives you your weekly deficit.

The upsides are that it doesn't involve daily restrictions so suits people who don't like weighing every little thing every day. The downsides are that some people get hungry on the 2 days and the worst downside is that you'll tend to get a lot of twerps telling you that you're 'starving yourself', that you should 'eat normally' and generally that you're ruining your health, metabolism and possibly going to burn in a fiery pit for all eternity with your toes getting nibbled by wee imps.

Would you like to actually look up "The Fasting Diet" which is what the OP had mention. If the OP is not actually talking of that diet and comes back to correct themselves than I will mention information about the other diets they could of meant. I know what the fasting diets are... I know what they include. Regardless of which method the OP is talking about they are ultimatelyhnothing special. They work for some, not for others. Simple as that.

And calling someone out on something you may disagree with is fine but can be done in a more respectful manner. Disagree with someone all you want but do so respectfully. Not showing respect is not part of a motivating and supportive site. Don't respond with attitude.
  • thisisme13

What makes you want to do this diet?? It won't result in more weight loss than any other way of eating. It is good for some but not for others. Ultimately, don't do a diet you won't continue with forever.

I think you might have been confusing me with the OP? Either way I have replied to you just now. :wink:

I originally did have you two confused.

Ultimately everyone needs to choose what works best for them. I don't believe in following a specific diet... I choose to eat healthy, choose less processed foods and move more.