husband won't eat healthy

Options

Replies

• dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Communication works. I told my wife I wasn't going to eat certain things. Maybe he can get his fill of junk at lunch and eat what you cook. Maybe some recipes he'd like. I wouldn't be cooking two meals.

For me, I had a heart attack, so I get to use that as an excuse.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As suggested, if he does not want what you provide, then cook his own

I am bloke BTW and TBH would be utterly p1ssed off if my spouse did this, just saying, nothing personal, but do not expect or anticipate compliance, or in longer term feeling, by him, of being nagged, again
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    My old man knows, if he don't want to cook, he can eat whatever the H*** I cook. If he still don't want it, there's PB&J in the cabinet.
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Same goes in my house, it you don't like what I have cooked then tough - cook your own..

Fortunately my partner isn't stupid enough to say anythting if he isn't 100% loving what I made, and for the most part he does like the healthy food I make.. pity he is losing weight much faster than me without even trying though... oh well
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Ya'll obviously aren't Southern. Neither am I for that matter. But, if you feel like it's your role to cook, allot yourself the calories to have a few french fries and make healthy choices for the rest of your meal.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Talk to him and find an acceptable compromise.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    When my husband cooks, he makes what he wants to eat, not what I want to eat. That's o.k., my diet is my business, not his. And vice versa. We're all adults here.
  • alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Interesting responses... thanks guys!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If he said he would do it with you and now is not, then he should make his own meals!

When I started my weight loss journey I did not expect anyone else to conform to my needs. Although my husband and kids for the most part are more than happy to eat what I make, I always made two dinners each night. One for me and one for my family. (an no I am not a stay at home mom) Slowly but surly everyone started to conform to my new way of cooking without a battle...I have to admitt though, we never ate all that bad to begin with. The only time we have things like french fries (fast food) is if we are traveling and even then we eat things like Subway more than burgers and fries.

Good luck my friend, it's not always an easy undertaking to get the other half to participate!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit"

he can make something else if he doesn't like what you make...

but I would make one a meal a week for my husband that I know he likes. (which I do, because it's the same here. I eat 'heathy' h prefers 5 servings of cheesy mashed potatoes and a box of cheap mac and cheese for dinner.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly veggies till dinner. That way I can fix whatever my family would like. Find compromise.

Just because this is what you are into doesn't mean he has to be.

I'd much rather hear "that was a great dinner babe" rather than have some argument about veggies and French fries.
    There are ways you can make it work.
    I promise.
  • kxlly
    kxlly Posts: 21
    Options
    If my husband wants something unhealthy, I make it for him. It takes what--another 10-15 minutes? To me, that's not big deal. I don't force my dietary choices on him. (As a result, I think he's far more amenable to eating the way I do, since I'm not forcing his hand. Real choice is a powerful thing.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I would also add that "healthy" is a relative term. A lot of people get stuck on healthy being nothing but veggies and fruit...no fat, etc when in reality, those people that are stuck in that low fat/no fat, this is bad and that is bad mindset are often the ones not getting proper nutrition.

I'm just sayin'...maybe your ideal of healthy is too restrictive for him. I do concur though that if he wants something you're not preparing then he should make it himself.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,707 Member
    Options
    Skip fries and make roast wedges instead. Cut potatoes into wedges, spray with a little olive oil, salt if you use it, and roast at 200C for around 30 minutes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My husband won't eat broccoli, so I make a bag of mixed vegetables and let him pick out the stuff he'll eat while I eat everything else. Or I make a vegetable we'll both eat, like green beans, carrots or peppers.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Skip fries and make roast wedges instead. Cut potatoes into wedges, spray with a little olive oil, salt if you use it, and roast at 200C for around 30 minutes.

Or do this with any veggie. We love our green beans this way!
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I assume you're dating a 12 year-old boy, and that's why you're cooking his dinner. In which case, fries are microwaveable, and even an adolescent can push a power button.

This! :drinker:
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Talk to him and find an acceptable compromise.

QFT
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    My husband is much the same he will not eat 90% of the things I make if he doesnt like it he eats the crap he wants only problem with that is I hate having that stuff in the house x.x
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Agree - whomever is cooking is king. If you don't like it, cook! But really, we've come up with lots of tasty, healthy meals the whole family loves.

But with this^ logic, I guess he should have total control over how the money is spent.* And I can't imagine that idea would be nearly as popular as the "he can cook his own food!" idea is.

(* Assuming that he works outside the home and brings in the income...which seems like a reasonable assumption since she seems to be tasked with the cooking responsibilities. Yes, there are exceptions, and no, those exceptions won't invalidate my point.)

ETA: Oh, and OP, discuss it with your husband. Will probably be a lot more effective than whatever advice you receive on the MFP forums.