Will Oatmeal In The Morning Make Me Fat?

Options
I have been having a little bit of oatmeal w/ breakfast lately, and not much in the way of carbs for the rest of the day. I don't eat any other grains at all really. Will this cause me to lose weight slower, or perhaps even gain weight? Please offer your advice if you have any. Thanks.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    now, that is silly! NO!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a calorie deficit, I don't see why oatmeal will specifically make you put on weight, unless you're eating over 3500kcals a day of it.

I have oatmeal nearly every day with peanut butter for the past few weeks and have lost substantial weight.
  • Donna_Houghton
    Donna_Houghton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat it every single day and have lost 14lbs in the last month. So eat away! It keeps you satisfied until lunchtime :smile:
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    oatmeal wont make anyone fat, overeating and no exercise makes us fat.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is healthy and filling. Knowledge is power. Getcha some
    Here is good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    oatmeal doesn't make you gain weight however for it's size it packs alot of calories, so if you require something that makes you feel full it's not the best of options, but if you feel fine eating it and it's not putting you over your calories it's a good healthy food to eat, eat away!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    oatmeal doesn't make you gain weight however for it's size it packs alot of calories, so if you require something that makes you feel full it's not the best of options, but if you feel fine eating it and it's not putting you over your calories it's a good healthy food to eat, eat away!

I find it really filling. :drinker:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    lol wat
  • Lol.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    No oatmeal won't make you fat. If you go over your calories eating oatmeal, then yes. It might make you fat. But if you stay within your calorie limit and eat oatmeal, nope, not gonna make you fat.
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    I hate oatmeal almost every single morning, and mix up what I make it with. I normally put either my chocolate or vanilla whey in, cook it with water until a more 'cakey' texture as opposed to runny and then top it. My favourite toppings just now are Natural Low Fat Greek Yogurt, Raw Whole Almonds, Raw Whole Cashews and Flame Raisins. Yum!

And as for calories, it's not much really. For mine this morning (which I just finished) I had:

40g Oats made with water.
    5g Chocolate whey protein.
    17g Whole Cashews and Flame Raisins
    7g Almonds
    40g Low Fat Natural Greek Yogurt.

That was 310kcal and I will be full until lunch.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    No food will make you fat unless you eat too much of it.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I have been having a little bit of oatmeal w/ breakfast lately, and not much in the way of carbs for the rest of the day. I don't eat any other grains at all really. Will this cause me to lose weight slower, or perhaps even gain weight? Please offer your advice if you have any. Thanks.

A recent study printed in a popular magazine claims so. Oatmeal is an irritant. It bloats me so I can't eat it. Maybe not an irritant for everyone, but according to this study, if it is found to be an irritant to YOU, your body will fight it and will make you gain weight. It was explained in great detail but the ending result was weight gain, irritability, etc, you get the gist. So the answer is MAYBE it MIGHT make you gain. Experiment with your body to conclude.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options

This.

I eat oatmeal every day.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

A recent study printed in a popular magazine claims so. Oatmeal is an irritant. It bloats me so I can't eat it. Maybe not an irritant for everyone, but according to this study, if it is found to be an irritant to YOU, your body will fight it and will make you gain weight. It was explained in great detail but the ending result was weight gain, irritability, etc, you get the gist. So the answer is MAYBE it MIGHT make you gain. Experiment with your body to conclude.

.... troll?
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat it almost every day, and I'm less than 20 pounds from goal. :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Is there any chance you could provide a link to the study or say where you got that information from please?

I could just as easily say "a recent study printed in a major newspaper shows that eating 10 bowls of oatmeal each day will make you lose 50lbs in one week".
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Every time a question like this is asked . . . someone gets diagnosed with di- UH- beeties.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    In my non-nutritionist opinion, oatmeal is one of the best things a person can eat. High in fibre, good source of protein for us non-meat eaters, filling. Just watch how much butter and brown sugar you slather all over it (:

My favourite for the past few months is overnight oats with brown sugar, yoghurt and chia seeds. Nice way to have oatmeal in hot weather...