Will Oatmeal In The Morning Make Me Fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• AudreyinNC
    Options
    Every time a question like this is asked . . . someone gets diagnosed with di- UH- beeties.

LMAO :laugh: Ohhhh

Anyway, I eat oatmeal almost everyday. Mostly at work, with some greek yogurt, sometimes raw almonds. It's
    usually included with my breakfast in some form. I LOVE the fact that a lot of drive throughs are offering it now.
    Chic fil a's is really good, McD's will do in a hurry AND they serve it ALL day long too. Or they do here. I havent
    done fast food burgers or fries in over a year, but I will drive through for some oatmeal! Stay away from the
    sugar free stuff, its filled with artificial sweeteners. Compared to what I USED to eat for breakfast, oatmeal
    is WAY better. I've lost almost 50 lbs total, 10 lbs from my goal.
    So I would say, if you eat oatmeal for breakfast, then a big mac meal for lunch and pizza for dinner, dont
    blame the weight gain on the oatmeal. :wink:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I have been having a little bit of oatmeal w/ breakfast lately, and not much in the way of carbs for the rest of the day. I don't eat any other grains at all really. Will this cause me to lose weight slower, or perhaps even gain weight? Please offer your advice if you have any. Thanks.

A recent study printed in a popular magazine claims so. Oatmeal is an irritant. It bloats me so I can't eat it. Maybe not an irritant for everyone, but according to this study, if it is found to be an irritant to YOU, your body will fight it and will make you gain weight. It was explained in great detail but the ending result was weight gain, irritability, etc, you get the gist. So the answer is MAYBE it MIGHT make you gain. Experiment with your body to conclude.
    Is there any chance you could provide a link to the study or say where you got that information from please?

I could just as easily say "a recent study printed in a major newspaper shows that eating 10 bowls of oatmeal each day will make you lose 50lbs in one week".

You won't get one - she never links to what she quotes - just tells you to find it yourself. It was probably in an alternate treatment magazine.

I think oatmeal is excellent and as long as it fits into your calorie goal it won't make you fat. :drinker:
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Every time a question like this is asked . . . someone gets diagnosed with di- UH- beeties.

LMAO :laugh: Ohhhh

Anyway, I eat oatmeal almost everyday. Mostly at work, with some greek yogurt, sometimes raw almonds. It's
    usually included with my breakfast in some form. I LOVE the fact that a lot of drive throughs are offering it now.
    Chic fil a's is really good, McD's will do in a hurry AND they serve it ALL day long too. Or they do here. I havent
    done fast food burgers or fries in over a year, but I will drive through for some oatmeal! Stay away from the
    sugar free stuff, its filled with artificial sweeteners. Compared to what I USED to eat for breakfast, oatmeal
    is WAY better. I've lost almost 50 lbs total, 10 lbs from my goal.
    So I would say, if you eat oatmeal for breakfast, then a big mac meal for lunch and pizza for dinner, dont
    blame the weight gain on the oatmeal. :wink:

McD's oatmeal is my breakfast this morning! I agree, happy the fast food places have started carrying it.

And no, unless you eat a million packets in one sitting.. I think you're fine.
  • larryrforbes
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago, for variety, I switched from egg whites to oatmeal for breakfast. And then slowly I gained 5 lbs. I can't shake the 5 lbs. for any length of time. I have just realized the oatmeal could be responsible for the extra 5 pounds. So as of tomorrow morning I am going back to egg whites for breakfast. (I work out 90 minutes each day at the gym---cardio plus weights and until the oatmeal breakfast started, weight control was no problem. I am a 76 year old male and therefore because of my age my body tends to want to gain weight.)
  • RBurnham90
    RBurnham90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have been having a little bit of oatmeal w/ breakfast lately, and not much in the way of carbs for the rest of the day. I don't eat any other grains at all really. Will this cause me to lose weight slower, or perhaps even gain weight? Please offer your advice if you have any. Thanks.

A recent study printed in a popular magazine claims so. Oatmeal is an irritant. It bloats me so I can't eat it. Maybe not an irritant for everyone, but according to this study, if it is found to be an irritant to YOU, your body will fight it and will make you gain weight. It was explained in great detail but the ending result was weight gain, irritability, etc, you get the gist. So the answer is MAYBE it MIGHT make you gain. Experiment with your body to conclude.

^ This is why it's best to do your own research and not ask on mfp forums
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Kind of depends upon how much you are planning to eat.
  • xtrasmall
    Options
    well oatmeal by itself 4 breakfast has actually been proven to be the most filling thing u can eat so if u can resist eating a greek yogurt 2 then no oatmeal in the morning should not make u fat haha

ps about 160cals-200cals is a normal serving of unsweetened oatmeal which can range from a quartercup aka 44grams or 50grams to a halfcup depending on the brand and type of oatmeal like steelcut or rolled so ya ok hope i helped!
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I think I get that you are more concerned about the carbs and then the calories. I have oatmeal about every other day and it has worked for me.:flowerforyou:
  • happygal
    Options
    Oatmeal is good for you, and is very filling so you can make it through to lunch without feeling starved. I buy the regular instant oatmeal in the big container, then heat a cup of water in the microwave for two minutes. Add 1/2 cup of instant oatmeal and then stir in some brown sugar or some peanut butter (reasonable amounts, or you defeat the purpose!) YUM I also add a tablespoon f ground flax which gives it a nutty taste.

If you want something a little lower in calories, you can use PB2, which is powdered peanut butter with the fat removed. PB2 also comes in chocolate peanut butter flavor which can be like eating a peanut butter cup without all the fat! Delicious mixed with small amount of water and poured over lite ice cream. If you can't find it do a search on the 'net and you will find a location or you can purchase it online.
  • tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great advice, yes keep enjoying your morning oatmeal but if I may add to that, make sure its steel cut oats. It takes a bit longer to make but this form of oatmeal is far more nutritious than rolled oats. The process is "cleaner" and I am not one of those clean/dirty foods people. I just believe that this form of oatmeal is much better for the diet.

I add dried cranberries, raisins, almond slivers, and a touch of raw "organic' local honey to mine and oh my, its like having dessert for breakfast.

Now mind you, I am low carbing it right now so all forms of oatmeal are out but once I hit my goal weight and I am working on putting on muscle mass, I will be back to my steel cut oats.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal won't necessarily make you fat, but depending on how much weight you have to lose, it might not be the best choice. Protein is your primary nutrient, then a good dose of healthy fats. Carbs (other then vegetables) for the most part should be in line with your activity level. Hard workouts call for more carbs... easy workouts really don't require that much of them. Be your own judge though because everyone is different, which is why losing weight can be such a daunting task. There really is not any one perfect way to do it. The only rule that governs all of us is this, you must burn more calories then you take in to lose weight.

So to sum up my too long of a reply to your question I'll end with this...

Oatmeal + a calorie surplus = weight gain
    Oatmeal + a calorie deficit = no weight gain

Hope this help...
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    if you eat 3 pounds of it
  • Cyliesmom
    Cyliesmom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There is quite a big difference in nutrition between steel cut, slow cooking oats at home, and buying the kind that Starbucks sells. Kind of like the difference between cooking a chicken at home and ordering chicken nuggets. Just saying
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Only eat Oatmeal after 4 PM. That way it will .. wait what? No Oatmeal rocks. It fills me up. I like to put creatine powder in it even. If I'm going to be doing a lot of running I make it part of my carb loading. It cooks super fast with my Kurig too.
  • Kimaw65
    Kimaw65 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago, for variety, I switched from egg whites to oatmeal for breakfast. And then slowly I gained 5 lbs. I can't shake the 5 lbs. for any length of time. I have just realized the oatmeal could be responsible for the extra 5 pounds. So as of tomorrow morning I am going back to egg whites for breakfast. (I work out 90 minutes each day at the gym---cardio plus weights and until the oatmeal breakfast started, weight control was no problem. I am a 76 year old male and therefore because of my age my body tends to want to gain weight.)

I'm pretty sure it was the calories that made you gain weight. Did you weigh the oatmeal prior to eating it. 3 egg whites can be approx 54 calories. 1 serving of oat in water is 150 and a cup is 300, that's not counting if you add anything else to the oats. It's very easy to say to say 1 food made you gain weight without actually analyzing the situation as a whole.

^ This is why it's best to do your own research and not ask on mfp forums
    So because it was in a popular magazine it's true? You believe everything you read in the popular magazines or see on tv?

It's on the internet so it must be true! Just like my french model boyfriend!! LOL
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've eaten 35 grams (dry) of oatmeal mostly EVERY DAY since I started losing my diet on January 6. 93 lbs lighter I STILL eat the same for breakfast. Now I just add a lot of other stuff to the breakfast, since I have more calories to play with...

35 g oatmeal = 126 calories. NOT a lot, and it's actually a BIG portion.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    oatmeal wont make anyone fat, overeating and no exercise makes us fat.

This
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a calorie deficit, I don't see why oatmeal will specifically make you put on weight, unless you're eating over 3500kcals a day of it.

I have oatmeal nearly every day with peanut butter for the past few weeks and have lost substantial weight.

Agreed...I've been maintaining my weight range and I eat oatmeal daily.

Enjoy your oatmeal. :wink:

8488541.png