Conditions!!?

Options
I am starting to think I am the only person on this forum that doesn't have some sort of medical condition! Glandular problems, irratable bowels, wheat allergies, milk allergies, crohn's disease, arthritis, gall bladder issues, etc., etc., etc. I don't know a single person in my personal life who has any of these issues, but somehow it seems like the majority of people on here suffer from one or more condition. Is it coincidence, doctors over diagnosing to push drugs, everyone making excuses for why they can't lose weight, or part of todays society where people need to have something wrong with them to feel special? It seems like every original post starts with height, weight, age, and health issue. MFP should include this as a profile category.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    It's statistically more likely you'll find people with health conditions on a weight-loss forum as those conditions can attribute to high weight.

Maybe if you joined a footballing/bodybuilding/athletics forum, you'd find people as perfect as you?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I would say it's because we've moved past an era where doctors pegged illness on demon possession and treated ailments with leeches. We know more now, therefore we are better equipped to deal with it on a medical scale.
  • christimccarty
    Options
    well thats kind of deflating for those that have problems! I will say that I'm sure you see more of it hear because the people that have extra to deal with need extra support... and they know where to find it!
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's statistically more likely you'll find people with health conditions on a weight-loss forum as those conditions can attribute to high weight.

Maybe if you joined a footballing/bodybuilding/athletics forum, you'd find people as perfect as you?

^^WORD.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself very lucky then.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ~Well done you for being so perfect and healthy, and shame on all of us ill people who want nothing more to lose weight to help alleviate symptoms, or improve quality of our lives. *cough* *splutter*
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    wow don't know it you intended it to be so mean and rude, but it sure sounds like that. I was diagnosed with crohn's disease 12 years ago and I can say that it in no way has ever made me feel 'special'. It may be that the people who are talking about their conditions here feel like it is a safe place to do that. It can get hard to talk about a medical condition in the 'real' world, but here you can find others with the same conditions and find the support you need to get up each day and face the day.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I would say it's because we've moved past an era where doctors pegged illness on demon possession and treated ailments with leeches. We know more now, therefore we are better equipped to deal with it on a medical scale.

I don't know about you but three of my four humors are out of balance.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    ~Well done you for being so perfect and healthy,

Thank you
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i'm healthy but pretty crazy lol do i count?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am starting to think I am the only person on this forum that doesn't have some sort of medical condition! Glandular problems, irratable bowels, wheat allergies, milk allergies, crohn's disease, arthritis, gall bladder issues, etc., etc., etc. I don't know a single person in my personal life who has any of these issues, but somehow it seems like the majority of people on here suffer from one or more condition. Is it coincidence, doctors over diagnosing to push drugs, everyone making excuses for why they can't lose weight, or part of todays society where people need to have something wrong with them to feel special? It seems like every original post starts with height, weight, age, and health issue. MFP should include this as a profile category.
    Is your condition being bad at math and probabilities?:laugh:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I don't know about you but three of my four humors are out of balance.

Lol! Perhaps I just need to bleed out the bad blood in my system. That should do the trick!
    i'm healthy but pretty crazy lol do i count?

Yes. Many of us have mental health conditions that make diet and exercise more difficult. But we're in this together!
  • SydneyRenee2
    SydneyRenee2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

^^^^Well said
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    There are more of us with serious medical conditions than you know. You'd be amazed that some of your friends may suffer from something that they don't care to share with you. I do not want nor need attention. I do not use my illness as a reason for being overweight,although it is a contributing factor. I am pushing my body and mind to do things that are very painful for me, but necessary to get where I need to be, and I do it without excuses. I am special regardless of my medical condition. You should be incredibly grateful that you do not have serious a medical condition. We who suffer with chronic illness have found our voices to speak out. Maybe closedmindedness is your condition. Maybe you can get your own catergory for that.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    OP must've crawl out from under the wrong side of the rock this morning.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Is your condition being bad at math and probabilities?:laugh:

Good at math and even better at hyperbolating
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    mines anxiety, though i've been prescribed meds etc i've found making some big changes in life i don't need them :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This thread gave me a case of the vapors. Good thing I had a fainting couch nearby to swoon upon.
  • KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Did you ever think that prehaps some of those problems where brought on by the high weight those people are here to get help to lose? Or that they are more suseptable to those ailments because of their high weight, and want to lose the weight to relieve their ailments? Or maybe that you insensitive and have done nothing more than to make those people feel worse about themselves due to your comment?!

On a side note, I have no reason for being in the shape I am right now other than the fact that I have been lazy for the past 2 years after I got out of the Marine Corps and had a baby. So you see, even those that are perfectly healthy can need help losing weight. But even at my heaviest of 185, I would never make anyone feel bad about something they can't control, like a health problem!
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I developed lactose intolerance while I was in the Marines (Best shape of my life's) But if it is all in my head I welcome you to have a glass of milk with me and lock the door. The fumes will have you crying for mercy!
This discussion has been closed.