Conditions!!?

Options

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I don't have conditions, which means I don't talk about it all the time, and you don't see it. Don't get all dunning-kruger on us now.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think people on here are more open about those type of issues because they don't want to talk to (bore) their friends or family with complaints. I know a lot of people in my life are not nearly as concerned about what they eat or when they exercise or being healthy as I am and for me to talk about macros, calories, calorie burn, and how my digestive issues effect it would be gross and boring. THis is a website designed to talk to others with the same interest in eating healthy in healthy protions and exercising so people are more in tune with those types of issues.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    This thread gave me a case of the vapors. Good thing I had a fainting couch nearby to swoon upon.

Jealous! All I have is my cat hair covered couch with its torn upholstery. Fainting couches are just so much classier! :laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am starting to think I am the only person on this forum that doesn't have some sort of medical condition! Glandular problems, irratable bowels, wheat allergies, milk allergies, crohn's disease, arthritis, gall bladder issues, etc., etc., etc. I don't know a single person in my personal life who has any of these issues, but somehow it seems like the majority of people on here suffer from one or more condition. Is it coincidence, doctors over diagnosing to push drugs, everyone making excuses for why they can't lose weight, or part of todays society where people need to have something wrong with them to feel special? It seems like every original post starts with height, weight, age, and health issue. MFP should include this as a profile category.
    Is your condition being bad at math and probabilities?:laugh:

Good at math and even better at hyperbolating
    If there are 1000 various conditions each of which a person has a random 1 in 200 chance of having, how likely is one to not have ANY condition?
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I would say it's because we've moved past an era where doctors pegged illness on demon possession and treated ailments with leeches. We know more now, therefore we are better equipped to deal with it on a medical scale.
    This.

I'm thinking doctors of the 1950's probably wouldn't give a *kitten* if my heart was racing, hair was falling out, and I couldn't eat enough due to the nodules on my thyroid. Why? Because the ultrasound hadn't been invented until late in the decade and they couldn't see them and likely didn't realize they were interacting with my pituitary gland. Pretty sure I didn't choose an iodine radiation treatment just so I could feel special being medicated for the rest of my life.

I'm also pretty sure I didn't make up the conditions that led to my infertility as well. But thanks for your well-worded, incredibly intelligent post. Thanks to the miracles of modern medicine, I'm managing just fine.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Unless you hand out questionnaires, how can you be sure that you don't know a single person in your personal life who has any of these issues?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have an ingrown toenail.......
    seriously though.....these "conditions" are very real and very impactful for the people who have them. They are not the trendy disease of the week for them. Nice of you to be so sympathetic. Not.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

I'm thinking more better at hyperbole - and a rather crass and uneducated version at that.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    OP people in your personal life aren't telling you, because they know you will judge them.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I don't know how old you are, but believe me...excess weight with age catches up...it's only a matter of time. In your 20’s it’s no fun, in your 30’s you learn to live with it, in your 40’s you’ll slow down and once 50 hits it’s all over but the trip to the pharmacy. So do yourself a huge favor, lose the weight.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would love to take a pill that would allow me to eat as much milk, yoghurt and cheese as I want without my throat closing up in the middle of the night. Maybe I need to find a pushier GP.

And the only people who know I have the intolerances that I have, are the people who occasionally cook for me.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Did you ever think that prehaps some of those problems where brought on by the high weight those people are here to get help to lose? Or that they are more suseptable to those ailments because of their high weight, and want to lose the weight to relieve their ailments? Or maybe that you are an insensitive prick and have done nothing more than to make those people feel worse about themselves due to your comment?!

On a side note, I have no reason for being in the shape I am right now other than the fact that I have been lazy for the past 2 years after I got out of the Marine Corps and had a baby. So you see, even those that are perfectly healthy can need help losing weight. But even at my heaviest of 185, I would never make anyone feel bad about something they can control, like a health problem!

Most of the autoimmune diseases he mentioned have nothing to do with weight. Many run in families in different forms. For example my maternal grandmother had Diabetes I and RA, my mother has RA and migraines, one brother has Crohn's, one has RA, one has Psoraisis, one sister has psoraisis Bechet's, and migraines,one has migraines, I have Sneddons, Fibromyalgia, OA, and Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome, and one of my neices has Diabetes II. My 7 siblings are all normal weight. I was thin when I began having problems at the age of 22.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options

I'm thinking more better at hyperbole - and a rather crass and uneducated version at that.

crass yes, sarcastic definitely, uneducated no
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It's statistically more likely you'll find people with health conditions on a weight-loss forum as those conditions can attribute to high weight.

Maybe if you joined a footballing/bodybuilding/athletics forum, you'd find people as perfect as you?

I like you.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

Surely if you were educated you would realize the million and one ways the human body can go wrong? Or is it just willful ignorance that keeps you in your comfortable, insulated, and condescending bubble?
  • shmoony
    Options
    I am starting to think I am the only person on this forum that doesn't have some sort of medical condition! Glandular problems, irratable bowels, wheat allergies, milk allergies, crohn's disease, arthritis, gall bladder issues, etc., etc., etc. I don't know a single person in my personal life who has any of these issues, but somehow it seems like the majority of people on here suffer from one or more condition. Is it coincidence, doctors over diagnosing to push drugs, everyone making excuses for why they can't lose weight, or part of todays society where people need to have something wrong with them to feel special? It seems like every original post starts with height, weight, age, and health issue. MFP should include this as a profile category.
    Is your condition being bad at math and probabilities?:laugh:

If there are 1000 various conditions each of which a person has a random 1 in 200 chance of having, how likely is one to not have ANY condition?

I think, uh, that means everyone would have like 100 of them or something
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason I am here is that most of my "conditions" can be helped or eliminated by losing weight.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'll play devil's advocate for a second and say that a lot of the conditions/allergies get most of their weight from the fact those conditions are finally getting names. That's not to say I don't think those conditions are real and require a lifestyle change to avoid issues but just that those conditions may be more of a pain in the a** than some huge life crippling diagnosis.

A friend of mine who's lactose intolerant comes to mine. I've heard her mention her condition several times after meeting new people. However whenever it's time to eat pizza she seems to be able to handle whatever problems come from eating cheese just fine.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I hate to laugh at someone's medical condition but I do find that society takes "diseases" to the next level! I mean, every child is ADD or ADHD and should be on medication these days, aren't they?

• shmoony
    Options

Surely if you were educated you would realize the million and one ways the human body can go wrong? Or is it just willful ignorance that keeps you in your comfortable, insulated, and condescending bubble?

In a final and more serious response to the outpouring of sensitive souls, there is no denying that our society has made a drastic turn in the last two decades towards throwing pharmecueticals at everyone who walk through the door. Whether this is due to the availability of drugs, the lining of the pockets of drug company execs, or the increase in diagnostics, I don't know. What I do know is that many people look for excuses, not just when it comes to weight loss. If you're not one of those people, then don't worry about it. I never denied the existance of said issues. If you are, you deserve an insensitive reminder. Sorry. Now put the cookie down and stop googling "thyroid and weightloss".
This discussion has been closed.