Why are women always on a diet?

Options

Replies

• Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Ive noticed that all the women in my office eat those prepacked generic slim meals you buy at the grocer, but then down snack cakes and soda the rest of the day at their desks.

Cant speak for everyone, but that might have something to do with it
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I don't think people realise how much they actually eat.

People over-eat - simple as that!
    ^^^^ This, exactly.

And it's not ALL women -- my sister and daughter and one of my nieces can eat anything and never gain a pound; and they wear size 0 to 2 clothing. (why oh why didn't I get those genes???)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Because they don't feel confident about their bodies, but aren't willing to be disciplined about a solution.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    That, and I feel like it's cultural expectation that a woman should always watch their weight, which can explain the impulse to say they are.
    [/quote]

this as well
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My coworkers who do the same thing are also guilty of always getting the largest slice of cake on birthday day because it's a special occasion or grabbing a doughnut when someone brings them in "Just one treat won't hurt" Which is true, but it's never just one treat for the day/week/month/whatever--it's one treat for that trip past the food table.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else has been saying, they don't realize how many calories they're consuming.

Also, women will always diet. Forever and always. As a woman, it is part of our job description to honestly believe we are the fattest thing that has ever walked the Earth. It's science, dude. :wink:
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    It's partly a social thing - all women are dieting and all men are working out. But it is also a lack of understanding about what their caloric needs are and what they are eating. Someone who always orders a salad but doesn't note the high fat calories in the dressing, croutons, etc. is fooling themselves. As is the person who always eats fat free or sugar free foods and believes they are doing the healthy thing.

Oddly, my thin friends aren't dieters. They do eat less and work out more but they never make a big deal out of it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    when you're in kitchen all day, you think about diets. Good on them!
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The ability of people to fool themselves should never be underestimated. I gave up smoking over 20 years ago but when I smoked if asked I would always say I smoked 20 a day. I truly believed this was the truth. It was not until 6 months after I had stopped smoking that I realised that if I bought a pack of twenty every morning on the way to work and a pack of 20 on the way home, I was actually smoking 40 a day. Yet I repeat, I truly believed, (desperately wanted to believe), that I only smoked 20 a day.
    If you don't count your calories accurately you can believe what you want about how your diet is going. This Is what happens to too many dieters. Oh and it's not just women, men are just as bad, it's just that there are less men talking about their diets.
  • Also the funny thing I notice about a lot of my friends is that they will go to the gym and burn say 300 calories, but then they'll stop and have a 400 calorie smoothie on the way home!

I see this ALLLLL the time with women! Honestly, not so much men. But I see women all the time that put in a decent workout wherever they may be, then when they leave they think they deserve a treat for getting through that workout. Hellooooo counter-productivity.

Nah, when my boyfriend was working out with me, there was a McDonald's next door.
    After our 400 calorie work out: he felt like he earned a McChicken and a small fry.

So dudes do it too.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    That's because men usually lose weight easier than women! So we have to work harder!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    - No idea how many calories they're consuming
    - No idea what a reasonable calorie deficit should be
    - Hormones. Effin post-40 hormones!! :laugh:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    We aren't. Not all of us, and certainly not always. I went 63 years without ever dieting.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Because they don't feel confident about their bodies, but aren't willing to be disciplined about a solution.

QFT
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    aren't willing to be disciplined about a solution.

THIS!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Agree they have no idea how many calories they are consuming. Neither did I until MFP, and I was appalled and a little sickened the first week when I saw how much I was REALLY taking in. No wonder I had so much junk in my truck.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    FIrst, it is typically easier for men to lose weight than women. Men can lose by cutting sodas etc.. here and there. Women, especially women who have had children, usually need to work it off.

My best guess is they are lying to themselves (and everyone) by claiming to work out when they are not, or by claiming to eat well when they are not. OR, they could be feeding into fad DIETS that DO NOT WORK.
    People, for the most part, do not want to work out or stop shoveling garbage into their pie holes, but they do want to be slim. They want some magic pill or powder to shake over their food which will allow them to continue to be lazy and eat crap but not be fat, or so they think. They are probably yo-yo-ing because they lack discipline to make any lasting changes.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    This is why I always log my bad days - because it reminds me that this is how I gained 20lb because every single day I'd eat like that and make an excuse to myself that it was fine because I wasn't fat and I'd stop if i got fat.
  • XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    While it can be harder for women to lose weight because of hormones, that usually just slows weight loss.

I'd say they're not tracking their calories, which means that even if you eat a healthy meal, calories from snacks, soda, etc. still easily add up.

I agree with this. You can't half-*kitten* it and hope for the best. You have to "do" more than you talk about doing.

I have really effed up hormones, PCOS, the works. I lose but slowly and I have to be diligent. Slightly off track and I will. not. lose.
    For some it's better to talk about doing it to be one of the group than actually doing it.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think there not being honest to themselves. Yeah I eat decent and work out 4-5 days a week too but I BINGE a LOT and on JUNK. So that is why I'm still fat. I can't eat over 1,700 a day and lose weight even with my exercise. Many people are confused about serving sizes. Like when you make a cheeseburger. How much meat are you really using? Did you count all the condiments? If you have some ice cream did you measure a cup or eat a "bowl". I see people log "1/2c Icecream" Did you really eat a 1/2c of are you putting that because the side of the box says that is a serving and you only ate 1 bowl aka "serving"

I have a friend who says she never eats fast food but when we were going to school she ate wendys almost every day. When we go out she often goes to checkers or McDonalds. -_-