Why are women always on a diet?

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Because they don't feel confident about their bodies, but aren't willing to be disciplined about a solution.

This.

Women are naturally lazy and unmotivated.

They're also by nature fatter.

This is true. We are generally stupider than men, too.

That is probably why I have an urge to beat you up for this comment.

But, being stupider, that is not the best course of action.

Don't get angry with me ma'am.

It's just science.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I'd say that women aren't always on a diet, but rather have intentions of dieting and "screw it up" daily. Alot of women I know wake up eating healthy and making smoothies, then go to bed with junk, fast foods, regret and a promise to themselves to do better the next day. It's a cycle.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i think most women, most people, define "being on a diet" as just "trying to eat less or go lowcarb/lowfat". So, saying "I am on a diet" may only mean "I try not to eat every piece of cake that comes my way, I try to order a salad instead of fries, I buy baked chips instead of regular"... but they don't actually understand what they should be eating and how much of it.

I don't think these people are necessarily lying to themselves, they just don't know what "diet" means other than "try to eat fewer bad things" so, if you are forever trying to avoid "bad foods" you are forever "on a diet"
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Because they don't feel confident about their bodies, but aren't willing to be disciplined about a solution.

This.

The only thing keeping you alive is the internet.

Some of these marathon running women can catch you and hold you down for the heavy lifters to teach a lesson.

We should learn our place, rowanwood. Your username sounds like someone from the past, so you probably already know this. :)
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    That's a generalization.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

This.

he's just trollin...trolls are everywhere on these threads :yawn:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm gong to bet they aren't eating at deficit. Mixing in more healthy foods is a good thing, but if they still eat at or over maintenance, they aren't going to lose jack.
  • Cr01502
    Options

This.

The only thing keeping you alive is the internet.

Some of these marathon running women can catch you and hold you down for the heavy lifters to teach a lesson.

Good thing I can still out run marathon running women.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I know 2 people that are always on diets and both are morbidly obese, I know why they never lose weight but they don't.

Neither count their calories.

1 eats lean cuisine, and fat free foods everyday for lunch, yet is easily 80-100lbs over weight....why? She is still eating too much, she assumes if its sugar free or fat free she can eat it and that it doesn't "count". I've worked with her for 10 years and she still eats the same stuff everyday, I almost want to tell you you may as well have a burger instead the diet foods because it isn't making a difference

Friend #2 - always claims to be dieting yet gains weight. She drinks fancy coffees that are LOADED with calories every single day, some are 800+ calories, and she'll drink them twice a day, plus redbulls, plus mountain dew, she'll stop in the morning and grab herself a breakfast sandwich (500 calories) Eat some kind of peta sandwich for lunch (300) calories. Then for dinner tells herself she didn't eat (and technically she didn't) so she'll have two helpings of oversized portions for dinner. She is consuming 3000+ calories a day and is 4'10. Some days she'll even binge on McDonalds for lunch (eating 2000 calories in one sitting) - she'll do this several times a week but since on 3 out of the 7 days she was hungry most of the day she tells herself she is dieting and then wonders why it doesn't work.

Yes, unfortunately I've seen this way too often. Eating very small portioned things that are mega huge in calories and then feeling at the end of the day that they barely ate anything, so they splurge.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Women are always on a diet because TV and magazines tell us we should look the ladies on TV or the models in the magazine. This has made us self conscience. So even women (some not all) who are not necessarily overweight develop a negative self image and think they have to diet diet diet to reach society's standard. When they do this, it is usually a fad diet, they fail, thus continuing a vicious cycle of lowered self esteem.

This is part of the reason I love MFP and my MFP family. I have learned to accept me for me. I am never going to look like the super model in the magazine. I am who I am and that is all I can be. I am much happier person for learning this.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! Im so tired of the woman bashing/judging from both sides. And dont all clammer in on he was bashing just asking cuz thats bs and you know it. We are different (ladies that is) we may lose weight slower than a man doing the same things, and we constantly feel the need for self improvement generally speaking where you dont see that with men as much. Maybe some girls try for a bit and give up, who knows but instead of all jumping on the bandwagon when a guy mentions it we should stick up for our fellow lady. If your on MFP its likely you were at some point in your life one of these ladies he is referring to. Just sayin
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Society tells us to be on a diet. Many of us were raised by dieting mothers. There is an unrealistic body type presented by the media for all of us to strive for. It has become a social thing to constantly complain about our bodies and to "talk diet" with our fellow women, to the point where if you love your body and aren't actively dieting or trying to change its appearance, you aren't welcome. I could go on and on, but these are the top four reasons that I can think of...
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

This.

Don't get angry with me ma'am.

It's just science.

I am not angry. Anger is not feminine. I am sad. Tears are feminine, right?
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Plus, it's a lot more fun TALKING about eating healthy and exercising than actually DOING these things.
  • xiamjackie
    Options

This.

I'm actually pretty convinced you're either unemployed and that's the reason for your snarky attitude or that you are a computer. Because you troll on every thread and always say the right things to get everybody angry. Did your parents not give you enough attention as a child? Is that why you like ruffling everyone's feathers?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

This.

I'm actually pretty convinced you're either unemployed and that's the reason for your snarky attitude or that you are a computer. Because you troll on every thread and always say the right things to get everybody angry. Did your parents not give you enough attention as a child? Is that why you like ruffling everyone's feathers?

Unemployment makes people snarky?

Ha! I need me summa dat!
  • xiamjackie
    Options

This.

Unemployment makes people snarky?

Ha! I need me summa dat!

Hahaha I realized I didn't finish my thought process on that one. "unemployed living at home all day with nothing to do... that's why you're always trolling on all these threads"

Although I guess just being plain unemployed can make you snarky too. I know I was.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    All the guys in my office are always on a diet. It's weird. They talk about it more than the women do.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Every person is a unique case so we can't really generalize why so many women are always on a diet.

For me, it was impatience and lack of consistency.
    I was impatient and wanted to lose 2-3 (or more) pounds per week, so I tried to create a very high calorie deficit usually by eating 1200 or fewer calories, which in turn led me to be hungry and grumpy all the time, and after a while of that my body and mind team up on me and pretty much go....

AHHHRRRRGGHHHH YOU EVIL #$!*@ WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO US? YA KNOW WHAT, NO ENERGY FOR YOU! NO SANITY FOR YOU! YOU'RE GOING TO BE MISERABLE UNTIL YOU GIVE US SOME (insert really super awful unhealthy food here) IN MASS QUANTITIES!

So essentially, overzealous dieting = too much hunger = eventual binging which can potentially completely nullify any calorie deficit you created by undereating. I've heard people say "oh you couldn't possibly make up for it in one day" but you most certainly can.

So if they're doing a little bit of lying to themselves by having a "cheat day" as is common or a "cheat meal" quite often, that is one possibility. Or they have a metabolic disorder, but I doubt that's as common.

Source: Myself as a reformed yo-yo dieter who now believes you should never eat under your BMR, maintain muscle mass, and lose weight slowly. :)

And please don't think I'm bashing here... I'm only talking about myself as one little statistic.
  • spinnybecky
    Options
    I think it is in our culture that a woman needs to claim to be "on a diet" if she is overweight. It's a way of publicly acknowledging, "Yes, I know I'm overweight and I'm trying to do something about it."

Yet, I think "always" being on a diet is impossible so it turns into this on-again, off-again diet that can go on indefinitely. Tracking food for three days, then having an off day, giving up for a week or two, back to tracking, etc. etc. That was my pattern for the past few years until I finally realized that I need to commit to working on my weight for a longer period of time if I want to see any real results. It has been a couple of months now and I am still going strong.
  • Cr01502
    Options

This.

It's a combination of both. I have a snarky attitude and I use a computer in order to communicate it to all of you.

Also, if you can't see the sarcasm in my posts then it's your own fault your feathers are ruffled.

:flowerforyou: