BMR and TDEE Explained for Those Needing a Guide

Options

Replies

• jcbgs
    jcbgs Posts: 26
    Options
    thanks thishas help. i am so bad at math that i cant figure out all this math to get me results.
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read whole post
  • pamswopestrahlem
    Options
    great explanation - thanks!
  • tadlana
    tadlana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pamswopestrahlem
    Options
    I figured mine, but my total intake comes out to less than my BMR should be. My BMR is 1608 and my TDEE is 1798. Subtract the 20%, 360, and I end up with a calorie goal of 1438, below my BMR. Now what do I do?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I figured mine, but my total intake comes out to less than my BMR should be. My BMR is 1608 and my TDEE is 1798. Subtract the 20%, 360, and I end up with a calorie goal of 1438, below my BMR. Now what do I do?

You do absolutely no exercise then, because you picked sedentary.

You sit around the vast majority of the day, maybe an hr of cooking a day, and that's it?

That's sedentary.
  • dmcruz08
    dmcruz08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Glad this is helping so many of you.............I just posted my updated pics on the Success Boards from Day 5 to Day 100 - eating whole food plant based is my biggest factor but TDEE less 20% is for sure a close second! I am by no means done but the pics do help me see the progress and that this method works! Check it out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/990161-day-100-progress-check-in-with-pics
  • redhen966
    redhen966 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you xx
  • jrjordan79
    jrjordan79 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump ... so I can read at home tonight. :)
  • rhonnik
    rhonnik Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Need to read this. Thanks!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    monica1184 - your calc's look dead on correct - remember if it has been some time undereating - it can take a few weeks for that metabolism to come back - but it will - and some have a slight gain until it turns back on - don't panic - my advice would actually be stay away from the scale, eat at TDEE less the % and weigh around 4-6 weeks later................good luck!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    ruthc69 - the concept is scary - but after you eat more and it really sinks in WHY you are doing this to fuel the body and burn the excess, the fear does go away - I actually am now always in awe at the body and how amazing it is and how smart it is to know how to stay alive - you gotta eat - you just need to - your body wants to be healthy and thriving - without eating too much.............keep me posted!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    calaz84 - what I found in researching this is that the TDEE # has your normal activity level built in by the level of activity you select - it's there - so for anything ABOVE my "normal activity" only THEN do I log in my exercise if I know it's more then typical and even then I only eat back SOME of the calories...............make sense?

And if you are one who likes to see your exercise logged in as you do it, as many do, people have taken to putting in the exercise and manually changing the calories burned to "1" so it does not impact their daily calories since the exercise is already figured in to their TDEE amount.

Good luck!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    mommypeanut - absolutely! send me an email and I can calculate for you!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    cfredz - yes - you have it right!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    bump