Protein

Options
I'm allowed 53g of protein aday and most days I go over. I only tend to have 1 slice of ham. 1small chicken fillet. What can I do ?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Are you worried about going over? If so, don't be - MFP's protein settings are on the low side. :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's not a big deal unless you're going way over and lacking in other nutrients like fiber.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    eat more protein.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that contraindicates much protein, don't worry about it.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    VJ wins!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I typically get anywhere from 110 to 150 grams of protein per day and love it.
  • dushyant92
    dushyant92 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Isnt that too much 150 gms ?
  • AndreaEliz93
    Options
    I was actually curious about my protein levels too when before I saw your thread! I was always under the assumption that protein was like water, fruits and veggies- nothing but good nutrients and there's no such thing as "too much"

Typically, I eat a lot of protein and go over on it too. In the pie charts on my phone app, I compare the protein to my fat and carb levels and I'd rather go over on protein than fat or carbs.

I am curious about what the bad sides (if any) of eating too much protein are though...

It's also good to know that MFP protein levels are set low so that it's okay if you go over a little bit. I was reading an article today online (trying to answer my questions about protein) and it said that a good diet has about 20 to 30 percent of daily calories devoted to protein, a "high protein diet" is considered 50 percent or more of the daily calories. Even between all the eggs, fish, greek yogurt, and crab sticks (DELICIOUS!!!! Low/no fat, high protein... only down side-is sodium...) I eat on a daily basis my protein level on my app is about 26 percent.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I was actually curious about my protein levels too when before I saw your thread! I was always under the assumption that protein was like water, fruits and veggies- nothing but good nutrients and there's no such thing as "too much"

Typically, I eat a lot of protein and go over on it too. In the pie charts on my phone app, I compare the protein to my fat and carb levels and I'd rather go over on protein than fat or carbs.

I am curious about what the bad sides (if any) of eating too much protein are though...

It's also good to know that MFP protein levels are set low so that it's okay if you go over a little bit. I was reading an article today online (trying to answer my questions about protein) and it said that a good diet has about 20 to 30 percent of daily calories devoted to protein, a "high protein diet" is considered 50 percent or more of the daily calories. Even between all the eggs, fish, greek yogurt, and crab sticks (DELICIOUS!!!! Low/no fat, high protein... only down side-is sodium...) I eat on a daily basis my protein level on my app is about 26 percent.

The reason I told the OP not to worry about it unless she has a medical condition that contraindicates it is that it's hard to get TOO much protein. It can be tough on the kidneys (and liver), but for most healthy people, the amount you can and would eat generally isn't a problem. Renal patients tend to be put on a low protein diet, at least prior to beginning dialysis (not sure about during).
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think MFP sets protein way too low, it should be like 1 gram for every pound you weight or something like that so I strive to get at least 100 grams a day which can be tricky for me since I don't eat a lot of meat. I'm pretty sure if you don't have a health condition than nothing bad will happen if you go over, it probably actually be in your benefit to eat more! There are quite a few other threads on this topic you can search for and read too.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Change your protein goal to 30% and then treat it as an absolute minimum. Done.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Isnt that too much 150 gms ?

Not even close. Double that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think MFP sets protein way too low, it should be like 1 gram for every pound you weight or something like that so I strive to get at least 100 grams a day which can be tricky for me since I don't eat a lot of meat. I'm pretty sure if you don't have a health condition than nothing bad will happen if you go over, it probably actually be in your benefit to eat more! There are quite a few other threads on this topic you can search for and read too.

General recommendations for active people who are in a deficit or who are looking to gain muscle is 1g per lb of LBM as minumums.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

General recommendations for active people who are in a deficit or who are looking to gain muscle is 1g per lb of LBM as minumums.

Thanks, I couldn't remember what it was exactly lol
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

This is not just for people looking to gain muscle, this is also for people trying to preserve their LBM while in a deficit, so that the weight they lose is fat, not muscle. I try to get over 120g protein per day. Unless you have health problems, you should be eating about 1gm protein per lb LBM and a minimum of 0.35g fat per lb of LBM for proper hormonal function.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Lol the amount of protein people eat here is hilarious. Why does no one care about other nutrients?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Lol the amount of protein people eat here is hilarious. Why does no one care about other nutrients?

Who says they do not...it does not have to be a mutually exclusive thing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

This is not just for people looking to gain muscle, this is also for people trying to preserve their LBM while in a deficit, so that the weight they lose is fat, not muscle. I try to get over 120g protein per day. Unless you have health problems, you should be eating about 1gm protein per lb LBM and a minimum of 0.35g fat per lb of LBM for proper hormonal function.

Yes, that is what I said.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thanks, I couldn't remember what it was exactly lol

Welcome - it often gets confused.