Protein

2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Lol the amount of protein people eat here is hilarious. Why does no one care about other nutrients?

One can eat plenty of protein and also eat a nutrient sufficient diet. Why do you assume nobody cares about other nutrients?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Lol the amount of protein people eat here is hilarious. Why does no one care about other nutrients?

They do. But protein is the most important one if your goal is to lower body fat.

You seem to have a lot of weight to lose. Instead of laughing at the people who have been wildly successful in doing what you are attempting to do, maybe you should try to learn from them instead.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    I'm 5'10" and 134lbs. I try to eat in excess of 100g protein and 38g of fat.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member

They do. But protein is the most important one if your goal is to lower body fat.

You seem to have a lot of weight to lose. Instead of laughing at the people who have been wildly successful in doing what you are attempting to do, maybe you should try to learn from them instead.

I actually lost a good bit of weight sometime ago but due to illness and medication side effects it all came back. Maybe instead of passing judgements about others weightloss you could ask a question or two. :)

p.s. I also lost that 20lbs without eating an absurd amount of protein.
  • jonnythan
    Maybe instead of passing judgements about others

Ahem.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    I was just going to post the same, jonny
  • jonnythan
    p.s. I also lost that 20lbs without eating an absurd amount of protein.

Not sure how you define "absurd." If you call "the amount of protein actually recommended by dozens of actual peer-reviewed scientific research papers" absurd then I'm not sure what to say to you.

Incidentally, can you show us your professional body fat measurements before and after that 20 lb loss?

Fact is, 1 gram of protein per lb of lbm is the optimal protein intake level for preserving lean mass while losing weight and exercising. Enjoy your reading: http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7
  • p.s. I also lost that 20lbs without eating an absurd amount of protein.

If losing lbs is all you're worried about then just stop eating all together and you will lose it a lot faster...
  • ridofthegoodies
    ridofthegoodies Posts: 38 Member
    The reason I told the OP not to worry about it unless she has a medical condition that contraindicates it is that it's hard to get TOO much protein. It can be tough on the kidneys (and liver), but for most healthy people, the amount you can and would eat generally isn't a problem. Renal patients tend to be put on a low protein diet, at least prior to beginning dialysis (not sure about during).

^^^ This; depends on disease. Also for pre and post transplant follow physician's orders and not MFP.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    The reason I told the OP not to worry about it unless she has a medical condition that contraindicates it is that it's hard to get TOO much protein. It can be tough on the kidneys (and liver), but for most healthy people, the amount you can and would eat generally isn't a problem. Renal patients tend to be put on a low protein diet, at least prior to beginning dialysis (not sure about during).

^^^ This; depends on disease. Also for pre and post transplant follow physician's orders and not MFP.

Of course. But of course, my suggestion is more conservative than most other people's anyways and I said tend, not always, which it's true that it's common. I was just saying there are some possible reasons that it *may* be restricted or contraindicated, such as kidney disease (not only fairly common knowledge in the medical community, but also per the national institutes of health and the national kidney foundation). But physician's orders should always trump MFP, not only pre and post transplant or in regards to renal issues.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member

perhaps, but protein and fats amount should stay fairly consistent. understanding carbs is the key to fat loss.
  • jonnythan
    understanding carbs is the key to fat loss.

..... Eh?
  • baptiste565

..... Eh?
    [/quote
    of course people can lose weight just by lowering overall calories. But it may more optimal for muscle retention during a fat loss phase if fats and protein stay at the b4 mentioned levels and the calorie reduction comes from manipulating the carb levels.
  • jonnythan

..... Eh?
    of course people can lose weight just by lowering overall calories. But it may more optimal for muscle retention during a fat loss phase if fats and protein stay at the b4 mentioned levels and the calorie reduction comes from manipulating the carb levels.

Oh I see what you're saying. I think we're thinking of it in different ways but to the same effect. Maintaining at a certain protein level and fat level and carb level.. but when you switch to losing weight you drop the calories but keep the protein and fat, so the loss has to come from cutting out carbs?
  • baptiste565

..... Eh?

Oh I see what you're saying. I think we're thinking of it in different ways but to the same effect. Maintaining at a certain protein level and fat level and carb level.. but when you switch to losing weight you drop the calories but keep the protein and fat, so the loss has to come from cutting out carbs?
    yep! cut carbs as little as possible in the beginning but enough for a 1-2 pound weekly loss. and when fat loss slows, cut carbs a little bit more. this will help keep ur metabolism healthy during a long cut. this is kind of advanced and maybe doesnt apply to 95% of people who are just trying to get that belly fat under control.
  • jonnythan

..... Eh?

yep! cut carbs as little as possible in the beginning but enough for a 1-2 pound weekly loss. and when fat loss slows, cut carbs a little bit more. this will help keep ur metabolism healthy during a long cut. this is kind of advanced and maybe doesnt apply to 95% of people who are just trying to get that belly fat under control.

Roger. Totally on board with you now.
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Way way low!!! I aim for 110g minimum.