Weight loss on a higher cal limit successes?

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    My limit on here is 1690 cals, and I work out and burn around 500 which I eat most of back. Was wondering who of you has done this and lost a lot? Photos would be great, and how long it took you. =)

I used to be able to eat that much and lose-- when I was 22 - 23. Things change!

You said it sister!
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've just started upping my calories and am in week 2 of a attempting a metabolism reset. Feel free to read about my experiences in my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/72MonteCarla
  • zumbarock
    zumbarock Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Interested as well!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    My limit on here is 1690 cals, and I work out and burn around 500 which I eat most of back. Was wondering who of you has done this and lost a lot? Photos would be great, and how long it took you. =)

I used to be able to eat that much and lose-- when I was 22 - 23. Things change!

You said it sister!

I disagree. I'm 50 years old and lost 45 pounds a year ago eating 1600 to 1800 calories a day. Been at maintenance for 9 months now eating between 1900 and 2300 calories a day.

I started at 1200 calories a day and lost a pound a week. Increased it to 1600 calories a day and lost 1.5 pounds a week.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

Follow these steps and guidelines to figure out your BMR and TDEE. Eat what you need to! Everyone will be different so someone saying they eat 1200-1440 doesn't mean it's right for you. Eat more to loss the weight and not be hungry all the time
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I might be an extreme outlier, but I lost 30 pounds in 8 weeks eating at least 2600 cals/day, and usually in the 2800/day range. That being said, I was breastfeeding a 9-month old at the time (and still am), and I also am a SAHM so I'm always on my feet and running after the kids. So, I know my TDEE would be a LOT lower if I had a desk job and weren't nursing a kiddo.

I'm 5'8" and started off at 187 pounds; now down to 140 and still losing gradually at 3,000 a day. Maintenance for me is around 3,500. I work out (HIIT) or lift heavy 6 days a week.

Me back in Dec. (with smexy husband):

410_zpsa66ab7ab.jpg

I've lost a few more pounds since then and also added muscle.
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since Jan. 2012. I started out at about 1200-1300 cals and burning 200-400 cals most days (netting 800-900 cals). Was losing pretty consistently, then hit "the wall" around October 2012. Seemed like nothing I did could break the plateau. then started reading alot about eating at maintenance for a month or so then calculate TDEE-10 to 20%. Soooo, after researching, did the Scoobysworkshop calculations and Fat2Fit radio calculations. I am now eating about 1850 cals(that includes my exercise, so I don't "eat back" any cals) I am happy to report the plateau has been broken:)
    I have to admit it really messed with my mind to eat at my maintenance calories for a month or so, but I figured I'm in this for the long haul, so what's a month to reset things?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    me.

153 lbs in a year. Eating "higher" calories.

a deficit from what my TDEE is, that's all. Yeah, working out too.. obviously.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/885191-153-lbs-in-365-days-pics

here ya go.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I might be an extreme outlier, but I lost 30 pounds in 8 weeks eating at least 2600 cals/day, and usually in the 2800/day range. That being said, I was breastfeeding a 9-month old at the time (and still am), and I also am a SAHM so I'm always on my feet and running after the kids. So, I know my TDEE would be a LOT lower if I had a desk job and weren't nursing a kiddo.

I'm 5'8" and started off at 187 pounds; now down to 140 and still losing gradually at 3,000 a day. Maintenance for me is around 3,500. I work out (HIIT) or lift heavy 6 days a week.

Me back in Dec. (with smexy husband):

410_zpsa66ab7ab.jpg

I've lost a few more pounds since then and also added muscle.

Heh. He's totally grabbing your butt. :wink: :tongue:
  • andrewjcarter
    Options
    I am eating 2130 a day plus most of my exercise calories and am averaging 1.8 lbs a week at the moment.

2130 is my "sedentary level", and I would not book all the walking I do in my job and with the dog etc.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I netted around 1800 calories for most of my weight loss. Down to 1600 now but I'm a lot smaller than I used to be. Seems to be working pretty well :)
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    <~~ I eat 2k + . Maybe not yet a success but a work in progress and smaller than I was!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It is totally possible. When I was working out a lot and burning lots of calories I ate between 1600 and 1800 calories and lost 2 pounds a week, I had to cut my calories down when I had to slow down with my exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ..... so under that is going to mean losing weight...

That isn't remotely true, you won't lose weight underneath that as a general rule. It is important that the diet fits the person completely. Ideally, you wouldn't want to eat back your full calorie burn amount. ATM My intake is at 1700 a day, which I usually hit around 1600 of and burn about 600-700 per day, for me that works, but for others it may not.
    Ideally you'd want to keep a higher calorie intake (1700 ish being high, I guess, for a woman) and ensure that you stick reasonably to the same amount going in as out every day and log how well you are doing.

There are a lot of success stories around on this site, but also I guess through people you'll meet in life. A friend of mine, a man, lost around 40lbs or so by intaking 2000 cals a day, burning 650 and sticking to a low/medium amount of carbs/sugars (obviously). Different things work for different people, which sucks, as I totally wish there was one rule for everyone and it resulted in is all looking hot as hell.

In context, she is actually right.

referring to "around 2000 calories" as TDEE - if you eat under TDEE you lose. That part is correct.

Even the around 2000 figure is closer to what people could maintain on until they lose muscle mass eating too little, shoot their metabolism down to the ground, and then have to eat so much less even to maintain.

If you already have a healthy deficit in your goal, as MFP would do if you selected 1 or 1/2 lb, without exercise included - then actually you would eat it back to keep that same healthy deficit.

If you are a man eating 1600 calories daily, and exercise is knocking out 600 of those purely for mechanical movement energy - you an't leaving your body much to repair on, let alone actually improve on.

I'll bet you are overestimating your burns, or your metabolism has slowed down, and your body has slowed down daily expenditure to compensate.

You don't even know what improvements you could have eating properly for your lifting - might give it a try and be shocked.

Look at all these women, older women even, lifting heavy and eating more than you. At some point, probably getting stronger too, though that will be difficult with the male and age thing on your side.
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump for info!
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use MFP and Fitbit and both do the whole TDEE calculation for me, so I go by what they say. The average between both Apps tell me I can eat between 1680-1800 cals, depending on my activity. I am pretty active every day as it is, I walk/stand/climb stairs all day at my work, so that is BEFORE my workouts, which I don't even log any more.

I am losing about .5 a week, which should be 1lb a week based on my settings, which tell me that if I ate just a little less (because sometimes I go over, or forget to log things) I could lose more.

If I weighed less and were less active, there would be no way I would lose the weight steadily, I dont think, at this Calorie level but for me, it works.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    150 to 120 netting 1700 cals and eating back exercise calories (mostly hiking):
    535356_10151751503765607_1690500749_n.jpg

Then I decided to eat at a calorie surplus and lift weights. This is 2 pics of me at 130:
    untitled.JPG

Not done yet, still working on it. Screw weight loss, I'm going for looking better now.

Woooooooooow.
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    trogalicious,
    It was helloitsdan's IPOARM that I followed/am following. I am so grateful to have found his info. And yes, it DOES work!!
    Congrats on your success!!
  • paisleyskies
    Options
    I started at 160 and have fluctuated around 150 for a while now. 10 pounds may not seem like a lot, but its made a huge difference in both my appearance and how healthy I feel. I set my goal to 1850 a day, plus whatever I earn with exercising. I'm usually under around 100 calories under a day. This feels good for me because I can still eat without feeling deprived, but within reason. When you don't need to lose that much weight, a higher cal limit is more attainable. Plus who wants to feel weak and gross when they're trying to get healthy?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1600-1900 per day. I have lost 14 lbs in under 3 months. I'm more focused on BF% than lbs lost but I went from 40%BF in the "postpartum" photo below to 25%.. I'm more fit than I've ever been and I fit a size 6 at 167lbs.

Postpartum (May last year):
    5b8fw5.jpg

Day 8:
    xlxetu.jpg

Day 70:
    19593344_9764.jpg

19593344_9446.jpg

Day 80 (today):
    19593344_6317.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!