Goat cheese! What do do with it?

Options
124»

Replies

• Lotusstarr
    Lotusstarr Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hammer and flatten out your chosen meat, mix it with spinach, roasted peppers, Italian seasonings, onions, garlic, throw in center of meat, roll it up and bake it in your toaster oven, yum!
  • fairykelly13
    fairykelly13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Open mouth, shove as much goat cheese in as possible - as quickly as possible. BEST THING EVER.

It's also REALLY good with veggies, on burgers, with pasta, on pizza, on crackers or toast, in desserts.....
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Tortilla Pizza:

flour tortilla brushed with olive oil, crushed garlic and herbs, partially baked
    cover with slice tomatoes
    add onions, bell peppers, mushroom, Italian sausage (pre-cooked) and goat cheese
    bake till veggies are tender and crust is crispy.

Stuffed Pork Chop:

mix goat cheese with fresh herbs, garlic and finely chopped spinach and nuts (pecans or walnuts).
    cut a small hole in the side of a thick cut porkchop and 'slice' the inside of the chop making a pocket
    stuff chop with goat cheese mixture. salt and pepper, sear the outside, add a little broth and bake.
    *also good marinated in a mix of orange marmalade, spicy brown mustard and rosemary.

OH wait! all you have is a toaster oven?? WTH??? That sucks.

*edited to add: I guess you could just lower the heat on the stove top and cover the pork chop until cooked.
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just had an amazing herbed goat cheese grilled-cheese sandwich
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Stuff chicken with goat cheese and sundried tomatoes - you can broil it in the toaster oven.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • RangerJess
    Options
    I made a sun dried tomato, pesto, goat cheese quiche with it. Granted that was before I joined MFP so I'm not sure what the calories on that was...but it was really delicious!
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I love my goat cheese with mushrooms and arugula as a grilled cheese or in an omelete.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Put it in a blender with some boiled cauliflower and puree. Serve with grilled salmon and green tomato salsa, TO DIE FOR.

It also goes rather well with strawberries and cashews.

I used it in soup instead of cream in my potato soup, I also use cauliflower instead of potatoes sometimes.

It also goes well on flatbread with mushrooms and arugula, or spinach.

Lucky you, I am jealous. Goat is my favorite cheese.
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    yum... recipe???

You can put whatever you fancy on your pizza. I make the base sauce(s). When we have tortilla pizza night in our home, this is the usual list of suspects on mine:

Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce (recipe here: http://goo.gl/hTXhH)
    La Tortilla Factory's high-fiber/low-carb tortilla
    Minced Italian chicken sausage, browned and broken apart in pan beforehand
    Goat's milk cheese, crumbled
    Grape tomatoes, halved
    Baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced thick
    Jalapeno pepper, sliced
    Baby spinach
    Fresh pineapple, cubed
    Roasted garlic cloves
    Sweet onion, sliced
    Sliced Swiss cheese (if I want more protein) or shredded Mozzarella cheese
    Robert Rothschild Farm's roasted pineapple & habanero sauce as the crowning glory

Preparation:
    Spread sauce on tortilla.
    Layer on the ingredients however you like.
    Stick pizza in oven that's preheated at 350 deg F.
    Take pizza out when cheese has browned or when you are too damn hungry to wait any longer, whichever happens first.
    Eat fast so you can make another one pronto.
    Eat the second one slower.
    Pat tummy happily.
    Belch proudly.

:flowerforyou:

OMG! I just discovered these Tortillas, I Love them! only 50 cals each!! and yummy to boot!
    Thank you for sharing the recipe, can't wait to enjoy.

Goat cheese? I love to put some on a plate, put Sugar Free jam/jelly over it and enjoy the two together on crackers!
    Plus i do agree, on pizza it rocks!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Is goat cheese the same thing as feta?
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Spread it all over your body and pour red wine on top!
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump to save all these awesome ideas!
  • abcdmomof2
    abcdmomof2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pizza!!! Use something like na'an bread or a smaller flat bread and you can use the goat cheese on pizza
  • abcdmomof2
    abcdmomof2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    no, goat cheese is softer
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    Is goat cheese the same thing as feta?

no, though a lot of feta is made from goat milk. goat cheese is softer and feta tends to be drier and tangier.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    So I have a ready supply of fresh goat cheese made on the northern part of the island, and I am discovering I love the stuff! However, so far I've only added it to salad. I'd love to find other ways to use it though. The catch is that I do not have a full size oven, only a toaster oven, so dishes need to be able to be made in there, the microwave, or stove top. Thank you for any ideas!
    I love goats cheese so much, I use it on home made pizza, on crackers, just as a add on at the side of my plate, toasted on some tasty bread, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm love love love it!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Posh cheese on toast. I love this for an easy dinner with a glass of red :drinker:

Toast a slice of good bread.

Spread with a good layer of cranberry sauce

Crumble the goats cheese over the top and grill until the cheese melts

Top with a good handful of rocket and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

So so good :bigsmile:
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese is delicious in Risotto(mushroom is my preference), melted over rustic bread to serve with a salad, sprinkled grilled chicken with caramelized onions tacos, vegan quesadillas, use it as a topping crumble@frittatas,tarts and quiches, on burgers/pizza subs/calzones, made into cheese balls or spears with roasted peppers or artichoke or stuffed into a cherry pepper, vegan lasagna, used in baking - muffins/loaf or even in something like a corn casserole as a part additive to the dairy(cream/Greek yoghurt) and inside pastries. I personally find that goat cheese complements veggies that caramelize whilst cooking really well, as a stuffing/filling or part of some type of accompaniment sauce to pasta.

Oh and if you have large enough pieces (Haloumi), you can pan fry or grill them. You can bread it with Panko - bake or fry them too.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think im gonna have to go eat some now. mmmm:wink: