What do you guys eat after your workout?

Options
I workout at 7 pm and afterwards I am hungry. I was told the best thing to consume after a workout was a protein shake. Is this the best option? What do you guy eat?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I eat ALL the egg whites! I make some bomb crepes that are like 80% calories from protein (from the egg whites) so I typically get twenty something grams of protein.
  • JEmbry515
    JEmbry515 Posts: 46
    Options
    I eat Odwalla protein bars or something high in protein
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I work out after work too so I'm not getting home until at least 7pm or so, and M-W-F it's after 8pm when I get home from swimming. It's also a 35 minute drive home.

On my drive home I eat a protein bar - 180-210 cals and 8-10gms of protein.
    It keeps me from being so hungry when I get home and just grabbing the first thing I can find.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If I feel like I need to eat then I'll have a protein shake, chobani greek yogurt, or quest bar
  • Searedtuner
    Searedtuner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do fruit smoothies after workout, 1-2 hrs protein shakes before. :)
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I go protein shake, shower, meal depending on the day. Protein immediately after a workout helps reduce the effects of muscle damage, so that would be a good place to start. Since you're going late in the day I'd suggest something low carb like an omelet or a small grilled fish filet.
  • grapegorilla13
    grapegorilla13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I go with a protein shake, but watch the calories as some can have more calories than you just burned off. Precision makes two powders I like (and that taste pretty good), one of which is quite low in calories (~110) and little/no sugar (at full dose the other is ~1000 calories).
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with a little fresh fruit-I get the protein benefits plus a few carbohydrates to offset my desire to take a nap!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Depends what time. 8am I eat eggs. 6pm I'll cook dinner when I get home full of protein.
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies with a protein drink made by Bolthouse Farms. I add spinach, kale, protein powder, and whatever other fruits I feel like adding.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    After a hard weight lifting routine, the last thing I want to do is chew some food. Maybe it's just me, but I get nauseous thinking about it, lol. But, I do have a protein shake because I am hungry afterwards and know that I need to have something to shut my stomach up.

After cardio, I don't necessarily have anything right away. I just continue on with my day and have my next regularly scheduled meal as the time comes for it.
  • Trinichica
    Trinichica Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, it really helps
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is a "best" option for post workout. I prefer to have my protein shake.
    8 0z Trop 50 OJ
    1 Cup Frozen Strawberries
    2 Scoops Strawberry Protein
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I try not to eat anything because from what I've heard from Jillian Michaels, unless you are doing serious strength training, you really don't need to fuel your muscles that much to repair. I generally workout pretty close to a meal anyway, so I figure that suffices. At the very MOST, I will eat an apple and almond butter, but that's only if I'm really hungry. Usually I just hydrate. I do eat my calories back though, so it ends up working out I think.
  • spikeithard
    spikeithard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I take scoop of myofusion elite protein, BCAA, 2 apples and 10 egg whites after my workout. But thats just me ;)
  • spikeithard
    spikeithard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat anything because from what I've heard from Jillian Michaels, unless you are doing serious strength training, you really don't need to fuel your muscles that much to repair. I generally workout pretty close to a meal anyway, so I figure that suffices. At the very MOST, I will eat an apple and almond butter, but that's only if I'm really hungry. Usually I just hydrate. I do eat my calories back though, so it ends up working out I think.

dont listen to her haha. nutrient timing is not that important. (except protein for bodybuilders). Eat something after your workout even cardio. just keep it inside your daily ratios and your fine. Carbs before bed are OK. wont 'turn to fat' overnight... myth
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Varies, but my three most common are: Clementines, Roasted Peanuts (in the shell) and fresh vegetables.

I usually get home from/finish up workouts about 30 minutes before I go to bed.
  • MamaTrombone
    Options
    Cottage cheese topped with mandarin oranges. Pineapple works too. Or, sometimes I have a low fat ice cream treat. Because I'm human.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Protein shake with some glutamine...
  • kimmyrn42
    kimmyrn42 Posts: 30
    Options
    I really like Muscle Milk. It has 20g of protein in a 11oz. container. Calories are 180 so not too bad. Tastes just like chocolate milk.