I'm already at my limit for sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• hsullivan16
    Options
    I add a scoop of protein powder to my oatmeal each morning. It stays with me longer, and my son loves loves it too (4 years old).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what was the plans to eat for the rest of the day?
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar recommendation. Depending on your calorie goal, you can go over by eating two pieces of fruit.

Personally I wouldn't eat those instant oatmeal packets because I don't find them filling and can eat tastier things for the calories, but if you like it and it fits in your daily diet, I wouldn't worry.

I love this oatmeal, plus its a really easy thing to make. But I've been thinking about getting plain oats and adding things to make it sweet on my own. Would that be better?

So, as long as most of my sugar is coming from healthy sources, (like fruit, not candy), I'm okay if I go over? Because I eat fruit all the time, but I never realized how much I was going over in sugar. I've been eating like double the amount some days ._.

I make plain oatmeal or millet grits and add in a handful or two of frozen raspberries. Once the raspberries cook a bit it tastes like I've mixed globs of yummy jam into my oatmeal sans sugar. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I really like it.
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    what was the plans to eat for the rest of the day?

Well, at lunch I'm thinking about having a tuna salad pita (2 servings of tuna, 2 tbsp mayo, mustard, 2 tbsp relish, green onion, tabasco, maybe some onion if I have any) with romaine lettuce in it in a whole wheat pita. I usually eat half before work (around 12:30) and the other half on my break (around 5pm). I'll probably have some baby carrots and the last 1/4 of my avocado to dip the carrots in (mashed with tabasco of course hehe).

Then I get off work at 7:30 pm, get to the gym by 8pm for Zumba until 9pm, then I'll go home and cook something from the freezer. Not the healthiest, I know, but it's hard to make dinner at 9pm, but that's when zumba is and I don't have time between work and Zumba.

I'll probably have 2-4 turkey meatballs cooked in red thai chili sauce with green beans or salad and I'll have to figure out a carb. Maybe some bread. :)

Does that sound okay? :/
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Ignore the sugar recommendation. Depending on your calorie goal, you can go over by eating two pieces of fruit.

Personally I wouldn't eat those instant oatmeal packets because I don't find them filling and can eat tastier things for the calories, but if you like it and it fits in your daily diet, I wouldn't worry.

I love this oatmeal, plus its a really easy thing to make. But I've been thinking about getting plain oats and adding things to make it sweet on my own. Would that be better?

So, as long as most of my sugar is coming from healthy sources, (like fruit, not candy), I'm okay if I go over? Because I eat fruit all the time, but I never realized how much I was going over in sugar. I've been eating like double the amount some days ._.

I make plain oatmeal or millet grits and add in a handful or two of frozen raspberries. Once the raspberries cook a bit it tastes like I've mixed globs of yummy jam into my oatmeal sans sugar. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I really like it.

I ADORE raspberries. Omg, I actually think I have some left in the fridge from my costco trip on Saturday. Love love love raspberries.
  • ThisIsCharity
    ThisIsCharity Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing this morning. One glass of milk and I was basically at my sugar for the day!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    yep- instant oatmeal is loaded with sugar. Sugar is in almost everything we eat. I come close to my limit by breakfast just by adding blueberries to my greek yogurt!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but do some research on sugar in general, even the natural kind in fruit. Sugar, amoung other things causes inflamation in your body. Processed food, especially low fat or non fat versions have a ton of suger to replace the fat. When possible eat whole or unprocessed food. I make steele cut oats at the begining of the week and portion them out for breakfast, I sweeten it with stevia and add a little milk before you warm it up - it is really good and really stays with you! (I am horrible speller so my apologies!!)

the only low fat food i eat is my greek yogurt and thats only bc i eat it everyday and the full fat versions are too high in calories.

Fat is an essential nutrient our bodies NEED. Fat is not the enemy- sugar and over consumption of everything is the enemy!
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    yep- instant oatmeal is loaded with sugar. Sugar is in almost everything we eat. I come close to my limit by breakfast just by adding blueberries to my greek yogurt!

Seriously. I hate that so much :(
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It depends on your personal goals; I am keeping my sugar low for health reasons not weight loss. If you do not want to see your sugar replace it with fiber ect. don't let it bother you if you are still losing and are comfortable with your food choices. Yes, if you ate plain oatmeal used Stevia (to sweeten it) and had eggs for example your sugar would not be so high. Feel free to look through my diary for ideas as I am currently watching my sugar. Wish you all the best with your goals!
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My sugar consumption went up quite a bit when I started eating better because I started eating at least a couple pieces of fresh fruit every day. As in "every calorie isn't the same" neither is every sugar. Refined sugar is what we want to avoid. Sugar in fresh fruit along with fiber, antioxidants, and other great nutrients is not exactly equal. The calories still count, so don't overdo it, but if it's fresh fruit that accounts for most of your sugar, do freak out.

Brown sugar is just refined sugar with some molasses, so look at it as being the same as white sugar. You might find using real maple syrup as a substitute allows you to use less and get about the same sweetness if you crave sweets. Another trick is to wean your self down by using less sugar over time and getting used to that. Those prepared packets are full of added sugars an other things already and I don't find them to taste very natural. Quick oats really don't take that much longer to make and do cost a lot less per serving.

Ooh, anything cost-effective is definitely a yes in my book. I'll have to look at the store and see what kind of natural sweeteners they have. I shop primarily at Trader Joe's, if you have any ideas. I know they have Stevia there, but last time I checked it was expensive ._.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get some almond butter made with JUST almonds? So far, the closest I've found was Trader Joe's made with just almonds and sea salt. Ralph's didn't have any, Fresh&Easy didn't have any.

Stevia is much, much sweeter than sugar so a small amount goes a long way keep that in mind while shopping. You are right pre-packaged little bags of oatmeal will cost you more so you are offsetting your costs.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I go over sugar every single day.
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep your oatmeal as instant, but save money - buy the quick oats, then quickly pulse some of them in a food processor. Take 1/4c un-pulsed oats and 1 TBSP pulsed oats. There is your package of 'instant' oatmeal. Cook it the same as you would the prepackaged kind.
  • Momma_of3
    Momma_of3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've went over 58 grams in sugar....EEEKKK!!!!