Replies

• dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have it on hot toast :)
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird but we were at a local festival ;ast year waiting in line at our favorite food truck to get some hummus and falafel when they competely ran out of pitas. Not caring we ordered 2 sides of falafel, one side of hummus, and used the falafel to dip into the hummus. That's the way I have been eating it ever since, and I get take out from then at least once a month. As it turns out I'm not the only one that does it that way.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had a wonderful, filling lunch today for 290 calories: heated 5oz can of tuna (drained the water) with 2 tbs salsa and 1 tbs hummus then on the side 22 mini pretzel twists to dip in another 1 tbs of hummus. So yummy!
  • Chrisgriff32
    Chrisgriff32 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I spread it onto pita bread! Plain and simple but it is soo good. I could probably eat it like that everyday. I also use it as a dip for vegetables. Going to try the broccoli with hummus this weekend.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    3 oz tuna, 2 Tablespoons Hummus, 1 tsp lemon juice. Eat with crackers (wasa is great)

i love tuna so i will be trying this soon!
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird but we were at a local festival ;ast year waiting in line at our favorite food truck to get some hummus and falafel when they competely ran out of pitas. Not caring we ordered 2 sides of falafel, one side of hummus, and used the falafel to dip into the hummus. That's the way I have been eating it ever since, and I get take out from then at least once a month. As it turns out I'm not the only one that does it that way.

Nothing wrong with that!

I love humus with falafel - especially Egyptian-style (broad bean) falafels :smile:
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If you get into making your own hummus, and you have a pressure cooker, I recommend cooking your own chickpeas rather than using canned (less sodium that way, if that's an issue for you). I started doing this recently and am kind of stunned at how easy it is. No overnight soaking or anything required--just high pressure for 35 minutes and then natural release. If you make a big batch you can even freeze them, apparently, but so far I just tend to make enough for one batch of hummus plus a little extra to throw on salads.

I also saw that tip for peeling your chickpeas for a smoother consistency. I was seriously considering it when I remembered that I hate fidgety work like that and I don't mind the consistency with the skins....
  • xProfLupin
    xProfLupin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love hummus so much that I even MAKE it when I can't get to the store to get the pre-made stuff. Basically you need Tahini (I've found it at health places, about 6-8 dollars per jar but there's atleast 50+ uses out of that jar since you don't use more than a Tablespoon or two), chickpeas or garbanzo beans, and some oil and whatever you want flavoured with it.. I usually add garlic to mine because I have an unhealthy love of garlic taste/smell.

However, when I get premade hummus, I put it on anything. Imagine a healthier/creamier dressing on your sandwich. I love mayonnaise..Like, heart it but the low fat tastes gross to me but sometimes I'll mix the hummus with the low-fat mayo and it doesn't taste as bad.

And as I don't like peanut butter (unless it's the natural peanut butter that has 1g of sugar in it), I'll eat celery or whatever with the hummus. I even hate red peppers but I love red pepper hummus xD. And yes, it's got a weird consistency to the stuff but I've grown to love it. I'd make it all the time if I knew where my tahini was xD
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I always have mine in a felafel wrap, with couscous, mixed beans and roasted peppers.

If i dont have tahini can i just throw in some roasted sesame sseds?
  • xProfLupin
    xProfLupin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    @Zylahe I found this website that includes some possibilities of you trying to make a substitute tahini. Maybe you can try it out ^^

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/545678