Why is yoga so....

Options
amymrls
amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
PAINFUL! I do not find it relaxing at all! When does it get easier?

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

When the class ends.
  • amymrls
    Options
    Why do people say it's relaxing?
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I've tried it too, I find it VERY stressful and painful. Apparently it gets easier, but it was way too difficult for me.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    try a differnt type of yoga. There are many different types.
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options

When the class ends.

:laugh: true
  • amymrls
    Options
    Well I am doing it to become more flexible. But I find it stressful as well.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Well I am doing it to become more flexible. But I find it stressful as well.

There are many types of yoga. Try hot yoga, it might help your muscles be warmer.

Relax and breathe through the movements. Don't force yourself into uncomfortable positions, just stretch until it barely pulls and stay in that position. Each time, you should be able to go a little further. It took me a good month to get into it, and I was a gymnast.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If it's actually "painful," you're doing it wrong. Slight discomfort, sure, but not painful. Never overextend yourself.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try gentle yoga
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    try the HOT YOGA.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

because people want to trick into believing the same thing they fell for.

having kids makes you happier
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Painful!? What kind of yoga are you doing? Try a gentle hatha or yin class. The only pain I feel is if I'm super sore and the stretch is OH SO GOOD! I also get pain if I'm on my knees cause of knee problems, but I have a block to put under my knees for that.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    if it's actually "painful" then you are doing it wrong. really.

Yes you should feel something, but if you get to the point that it's painful? you are pushing it too far. You do not need to attempt to get into every pose 100%, at all... just try to get a little bit further than you got the last time, and that is success! It is much more enjoyable when you can relax into the poses, which you can't do if you are in pain. When you can relax into the pose.... like magic, you will find yourself almost "falling" further into the posture. (admittedly, this is just as much of a mental practice as a physical one)

However... if you really hate it? then don't do it. there are lots of different activities for increasing strength and flexibility, find something you like.
  • amymrls
    Options
    If it's actually "painful," you're doing it wrong. Slight discomfort, sure, but not painful. Never overextend yourself.

Staying in the same position holding my body weight for a few minutes is painful....
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Try and find an Iyengar teacher. Yoga isn't supposed to be painful--if it is, your teacher (or you yourself) are pushing you too far. In the Iyengar tradition, they adjust common poses with props to make them possible even for less flexible people. Your current teacher probably isn't demonstrating the use of props or encouraging you guys to use them, and it sounds like you need them.

If you don't have an Iyengar or Anusara studio nearby, you could look into DVDs--Patricia Walden's stuff for beginners is pretty decent. But I would recommend an experienced teacher over a DVD.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

because people want to trick into believing the same thing they fell for.

having kids makes you happier

lol wow really? if you do it right it is both invigorating and relaxing. for real. not bc I bought in to what some silly guru said.
  • amymrls
    Options
    Painful!? What kind of yoga are you doing? Try a gentle hatha or yin class. The only pain I feel is if I'm super sore and the stretch is OH SO GOOD! I also get pain if I'm on my knees cause of knee problems, but I have a block to put under my knees for that.

I guess I am usually sore..... So yes this could be it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What kind of yoga are you doing? I've done some very light yoga which is pretty much just a lot of stretching and breathing to relax and become more flexible...and some very intense yoga (that does hurt) because it's "workout yoga." If it's a workout, it's supposed to hurt a little. Most yoga classes at the gym that I've ever come across are more of the "workout" variety.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Staying in the same position holding my body weight for a few minutes is painful....

It's okay to come out and rest in Child's Pose when you've had too much. Again, if your teacher never mentioned this, find another one.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Because it is.. If it hurts, you are not doing it right. I have done chakra yoga, ashtanga yoga and hot yoga. Chakra is the most relaxing.