Why is yoga so....

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Doing Yoga makes me want to punch someone. Mostly because there isn't a single Yoga exercise I can do with anything remotely close to good form and moving slowly like that drives me up the wall. The poses themselves are sensory hell. They make me feel like my hair isn't mine, like my clothes aren't fitting me right, and my skin feels like it's trying to peel away from my body.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    If it's actually "painful," you're doing it wrong. Slight discomfort, sure, but not painful. Never overextend yourself.

Staying in the same position holding my body weight for a few minutes is painful....

then you need to modify your position and/or not hold the posture as long. If your yoga instructor can not help you to modify... find a new teacher. You can't be expected to know how to modify your posture as a beginner... but learning that is essential to having a good practice. You may want to approach the instructor, tell him/her what kind of pain you are experiencing, and ask how to modify the postures to lessen your discomfort. I find that even though I am not very fit, I can get through almost any level yoga class, because I have learned how to modify the poses for my fitness/comfort level.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Doing Yoga makes me want to punch someone. Mostly because there isn't a single Yoga exercise I can do with anything remotely close to good form and moving slowly like that drives me up the wall. The poses themselves are sensory hell. They make me feel like my hair isn't mine, like my clothes aren't fitting me right, and my skin feels like it's trying to peel away from my body.

I feel this too... Hopefully I will get better
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Why do people say it's relaxing?

because people want to trick into believing the same thing they fell for.

having kids makes you happier

lol wow really? if you do it right it is both invigorating and relaxing. for real. not bc I bought in to what some silly guru said.

I think he was being funny. But you are right, yoga is invigorating AND relaxing. Someone on MFP once said you feel like you've given yourself a massage. That's the best way I've ever heard for describing it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be painful and if you have a teacher that isn't making modifications for your level of flexibility you should find a new class. Yoga isn't meant to be painful EVER and you should feel relaxed and invigorated after a class with a good stretch in all your muscles.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    If you get to a point of pain, you should release the pose to a less painful version.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

... And then there's that. Some people just find that yoga is not for them.

But before you give up, OP, shop around for a more suitable teacher. The explosion in popularity has not done yoga any favors--there is a huge influx of younger, inexperienced teachers who do not really know how to adjust classes for a variety of students or how to prevent injuries.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Yoga is supposed to be more about body control through the mind. If your mind cant focus....
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    All great advice here, but I will add that breathing is so important in yoga. Google ujjayi breathing and try that.... long slow inhalations and exhalations.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yoga is my absolute fave. I like all types, and I love the burn of my muscles stretching. It's never been "painful" for me. Just make sure you're not trying to push it as far as the instructor is. They're way more advanced and can probably form themselves into a pretzel if they wanted to. As others have said, only stretch to the limit of slight discomfort. Over time, you'll see you can go farther and farther.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If it's actually "painful," you're doing it wrong. Slight discomfort, sure, but not painful. Never overextend yourself.

Staying in the same position holding my body weight for a few minutes is painful....

It's okay to come out and rest in Child's Pose when you've had too much. Again, if your teacher never mentioned this, find another one.

^THIS!!

No one is expecting you to stay in a posture as long as an expert or be able to bend yourself into a suitcase on the first day. It is your practice, take it to the places you feel comfortable with.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    All great advice here, but I will add that breathing is so important in yoga. Google ujjayi breathing and try that.... long slow inhalations and exhalations.

I second this. Breathing is key.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I've given yoga MULTIPLE legit tries and it's just not for me. It's boring and uncomfortable and I spent the last 2/3 of the classes wishing it would end soooon. I am quite flexible and my balance is decent, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't "doing it wrong" for those of you who say we don't like it just because we're not doing it right: NO.

And if it's a slow-grower type of deal, I am not here to do something that will take me 10 or 20 tries before I start enjoying it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why do people say it's relaxing?

because people want to trick into believing the same thing they fell for.

having kids makes you happier

lol wow really? if you do it right it is both invigorating and relaxing. for real. not bc I bought in to what some silly guru said.

oh yes, really. I like yoga. i do yoga. i recommend yoga. it is not, however, relaxing, in any way shape or form. at least not the power yoga that i do. there are other types i know, but i find them relaxing in a rather be sleep or dead kinda way.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love love love hot yoga, it's tough and I'm generally sore the next day but I love it.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that find yoga relaxing. I love it. It's my favorite part of my schedule right now.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Yoga is supposed to be more about body control through the mind. If your mind cant focus....

The mind can't focus because them moves themselves, the odd poses and the extremely slow movements, are stress-inducing.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

That. It shouldn't be painful if you're doing it right. Challenging, yes; but you should always honor any restriction your body has. Also, if your yoga routine is stressful or painful, it's not the yoga practice for you. The beauty of yoga, though, is there are many different types, practices and postures.

What got me into yoga was Suzanne Deason's Yoga for Weight Loss. She designed it with her overweight mother in mind, and there are 3 different modifications to the practice. Maybe check that out?
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Are you sure that you aren't confusing pain with muscle burn? I started doing yoga about a month ago, the first few times it SUCKED!! Now I kind of like it. There are times when I am uncomfortable but it's not painful. Same thing when I run, sometimes I am uncomfortable and my muscles are burning, but it's not painful.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

QFT. start with beginners, probably hatha. work your way into ashtanga and vinyasa, but only if you like it.