abdutor machine

Options
13»

Replies

• mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    My trainer got me started on machines 3 weeks ago when I just joined. I did explain my goals etc He did say the machines weren't a forever thing. I was given lunges with dumbells and a couple of sets of bicep curls going into a shoulder press as well as the machines. He said just to stick with the weight I started with, that first day I struggled my last few reps but after 3 x a week and 3 weeks in I was a sneakly so and so and upped that weight and i'm now finding that becoming comfortable soon. I am seeing him this coming Wed and will be demanding some compound moves!
  • MGSR
    MGSR Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    thanks guys for such great response........

for the people who are being said not to do free weights ........... even my trainer says so but the reason behind him saying this is that our skin expands if we lift heavy using free weights or machines......... he is dead against lifting heavy since he says the moment u stop lifting your skin expands and there will be inch gain

IS HE RIGHT...... ?......... Should i klift heavy or just do cardio according to him.......... advice please

I'm definately not an expert, but I lift heavy (for me, I'm still quite weak but getting there!) and have lost inches, not gained. There is also loads of other women's heavy lifting sucess stories on here who have lost loads of inches by lifting heavy and not doing any cardio.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

for the people who are being said not to do free weights ........... even my trainer says so but the reason behind him saying this is that our skin expands if we lift heavy using free weights or machines......... he is dead against lifting heavy since he says the moment u stop lifting your skin expands and there will be inch gain

IS HE RIGHT...... ?......... Should i klift heavy or just do cardio according to him.......... advice please

Am I gonna have to travel the country and fire ALL the personal trainers? What's wrong with these people. I mean, even if the trainer is complete idiot, for job security reasons he/she should not be spouting off nonsense like this."If you work with me effectively your skin will get an inch bigger." How does a trainer sell his services with that pitch?

FIND A NEW TRAINER
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Does the guy look like a stick? If so, there's your answer. There is more to being fit than being thin with a six pack. I had a six pack when I was 18 and didn't do a thing, I was 150lbs of nothing. Find a new trainer!
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    agreed squats. Although i don't feel in on my inner thighs even when i do squats, lunges, deads, etc.

The only thing that burns inbetween my thighs in the hip abductor machine. ;)

Try a low-bar squat with your legs and feet at about 30 degree angles, and get your thighs below parallel. You'll feel it.

6a010536b8cd27970c0133f2ee8488970b-800wi.jpg

I am stealing this photo and posting it everywhere :love: :love: :love:

Quoted for all those who think your back should be straight up and down when you squat. This is great form here! Notice her back is flat/slightly arched and her head is up. This is what you want to concentrate on, not trying to stay straight up and down!

And as far as the burn between your inner thighs- try some ointment lol. :bigsmile:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Am I gonna have to travel the country and fire ALL the personal trainers? What's wrong with these people. I mean, even if the trainer is complete idiot, for job security reasons he/she should not be spouting off nonsense like this."If you work with me effectively your skin will get an inch bigger." How does a trainer sell his services with that pitch?

FIND A NEW TRAINER

That's what happens when becoming a "personal trainer" is an internet click, a quick test, and a weekend course away.

My sister is a PT and some of the things she tells me blows my mind. Never mind the fact that when my husband used to go to the gym she's a manager at he used to have to correct HER on the exercises she was giving people AND she doesn't lift heavy because she doesn't want to get bulky.

All this information can be yours in a weekend course!!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

FIND A NEW TRAINER

No one listen to DavPul. He is out to make everyone feel bad about them selfs and give bad advice to make himself feel better. He's just a sad little black boy who probably doesn't even know who is father is. It's hard going through life with that many insecurities so to make up for it he makes fun of anyone he can get his hands on. Probably a little bit of small **** syndrome too. Maybe your muscles from all that "heavy" lifting you do will distract someone for long enough to think you actually know what you're talking about.

Sooooo.....how do you really feel here?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No one listen to DavPul. He is out to make everyone feel bad about them selfs and give bad advice to make himself feel better. He's just a sad little black boy who probably doesn't even know who is father is. It's hard going through life with that many insecurities so to make up for it he makes fun of anyone he can get his hands on. Probably a little bit of small **** syndrome too. Maybe your muscles from all that "heavy" lifting you do will distract someone for long enough to think you actually know what you're talking about.

Seems legit.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Article from women's health: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/gym-exercise-machines

Seated Hip Abductor Machine

What it's supposed to do: Train outer thighs.

What it actually does: Because you are seated, it trains a movement that has no functional use. If done with excessive weight and jerky technique, it can put undue pressure on the spine.

A better exercise: Lateral Band Walks

Place a heavy, short, looped resistance band around your legs (at your ankles); sidestep out 20 paces and back with control. This is much harder than it sounds.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

And you pay this person?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Aww, the good old good girl/bad girl machine. The only use I have for those is the one that force your legs spread wide. I put some weight on there and use it as a stretching machine.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

this is a good start. but surely you can do better

MAD-MEN-DON-DRAPER-HARDER-GIF_zps3576d496.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    With the exception of leg extensions, leg curls and some cables (and those who may have ailments that require sitting to exercise), as a PT I have my clients start off with free weights. Your PT isn't very well versed if they can't start you off with a free weights program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

You're trainer is full of **** then. I swear the fitness industry needs to have better standards these days before allowing BS like this to be passed on as correct information. The average person can pass any PT test with a little studying. Implementing correct technique and programs come from YEARS of actual experience and correctly updated information.

IDEA Fitness member
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Ask your trainer what his certification is (I.e. ACE, NASM etc.), or if he IS certified because this is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard...and I've been a Personal Trainer for 12 years!
  • danimalkeys
    Options

You're trainer is full of **** then. I swear the fitness industry needs to have better standards these days before allowing BS like this to be passed on as correct information. The average person can pass any PT test with a little studying. Implementing correct technique and programs come from YEARS of actual experience and correctly updated information.

IDEA Fitness member

Sounds like the people in my field who go get a bunch of paper certifications and can't troubleshoot their way out of a wet paper bag when something breaks. Book smarts is not equal to real world experience!