1200 calories sucks !!!

Options
13»

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    As other people have mentioned, 1200 calories is not sufficient for most people, unless they're right around 5' tall, and already thin-ish.

Look at the roadmap -- You should never eat below BMR. Calculate your TDEE, and eat at 10-20% below. You'll lose weight and fat, especially if you add that to a lifting routine.

Good luck, and eat up!

Everyone keeps saying this. I'm 5'0, around 24-25% body fat, 120 pounds and my TDEE-20% is still 1600 calories. Just because you are small does not mean you require less calories. My BMR alone is 1285.
    Glad you posted this - I know there are a lot of people around 5' tall here who eat 1500+ calories and are doing great!

Totally agree, please eat more, your entire body needs more nutrition!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay at the 1200 calorie goal but I feel like its not enough. I am always hungry and I don't know if it's just a subconscious thing. What are some great vegetarian friendly foods that will make my bottomless pit seem a little less bottomless :)

it's not. your title is very correct.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    probably cause it isn't enough! especially if you are working out most of us need at least 1500 in reality
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You are too right, 1200 calories DOES suck!!! It just does!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You're a vegetarian and you finding it hard? Just what exactly are you eating...? Veg and fruit are pretty low cal and I'm finding 1200 is easy as hell.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    As other people have mentioned, 1200 calories is not sufficient for most people, unless they're right around 5' tall, and already thin-ish.

Look at the roadmap -- You should never eat below BMR. Calculate your TDEE, and eat at 10-20% below. You'll lose weight and fat, especially if you add that to a lifting routine.

Good luck, and eat up!

^^this! I'm 5'0" (151 pounds) and did not do well on 1200. Currently eating between 1500-1700 and losing inches with weight training.

Also, there is really good info at this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Everyone keeps saying this. I'm 5'0, around 24-25% body fat, 120 pounds and my TDEE-20% is still 1600 calories. Just because you are small does not mean you require less calories. My BMR alone is 1285.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    if you don't have much more weight to lose you could just up your calorie intake and lose slower for sanity's sake
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I am new here. If I understand it correctly it is set at 1200 net calories, not gross calories. In a nutshell it means we are supposed to eat back calories burned. I did a bootcamp and estimated about 400 calories burned. so my net would be 1200 plus 400= 1600. Feel free to correct me like I said its how I understand it. Anyway, I will find out on Sunday if it works!

Yes. That is how the site sets up our calorie goals.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie intake isn't for me either... while some people may be satisfied on it... I get hangry, cranky, and tired... I upped my calories to around 1550 (which is around 20%-TDEE for me) and I feel MUCH better.. and I still lose more than .5 a pound a week this way.
  • favreervaf
    favreervaf Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That is low, and as an exercise physiologist we come across this dilemma a lot. You can increase your daily needs by working out more and increasing muscle mass. But then, 1,200 cals is low enough were it might lower your metabolism, but if small meals were spaced out correctly, it could be fine.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You're a vegetarian and you finding it hard? Just what exactly are you eating...? Veg and fruit are pretty low cal and I'm finding 1200 is easy as hell.

I was wondering the same thing.

It's about what you eat too, if you grab a 1200 bar of chocolate you will most likely be hungry, if you use that 1200 on less calorie dense foods then you will last longer.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay at the 1200 calorie goal but I feel like its not enough. I am always hungry and I don't know if it's just a subconscious thing. What are some great vegetarian friendly foods that will make my bottomless pit seem a little less bottomless :)

I hear you. I am only here at 1200 until I can get out of my walking boot and back into the gym. I only cut back because of my injury. Otherwise, I wouldn't say that 1200 is enough for anyone.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

I was wondering the same thing.

It's about what you eat too, if you grab a 1200 bar of chocolate you will most likely be hungry, if you use that 1200 on less calorie dense foods then you will last longer.

Most vegetarians are carboholics. At least that is what I have seen with a couple of really good friends of mine! And here!
  • I'm vegetarian, and I know how hard it is to get filled up without gorging yourself on bread and cheese ( which is obviously no bueno). Ive become a huge fan of beans. I do lentil soup, home made vegetarian re fried beans, cuban black beans and snack on chick peas; they fill me up well, aren't high in calories, and most importantly full of all sorts of good stuff your body needs. I also highly recommend switching any white unrefined starch to whole wheat not only is it better for you it takes your body longer to break down so you stay fuller.
    Cheers
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Good luck, and eat up!

^^this! I'm 5'0" (151 pounds) and did not do well on 1200. Currently eating between 1500-1700 and losing inches with weight training.

Also, there is really good info at this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Edited to properly place my comment under the quote not within. oops.
  • shaaziatanweer
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?Sometimes we feel hungry and tired due to lack of enough water.Just try 5 litres of water for a week everyday:smile: and see .
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    1200 calories sucks !!!

Yes. Yes it does.