Do you drink fruit juices but not artificial sweeteners?

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    The fruit juice has more vitamins, not from supplements (which, as shown in research, don't work very well), and tastes better too.

Which research?

fortified nutrients absolutely don't have the same bioavailability as the real thing

also... funny you're asking someone for research when you wouldn't provide your own as the OP...

It isn't research tho - its not a study. Its chemical composition of fruit. Available everywhere.

fair enough, but saying fruit has MORE of the chemicals that convert to formaldehyde etc seems like something worth having an article to link to. but yes, i hear ya.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    I'm not a big juice drinker, but I think that I would feel healthier drinking juice than I would something with artificial sweetener. For me, it's mental. If I'm going all out to be healthy, I feel strange about eating something that someone in a labcoat concocted someplace and would prefer something from nature. Now, I'm a total hypocrite because I don't eat 100% like this always- it kinda seems impossible....but on a good day... no artificial sweeteners.
    I'd simply like to have as much control as I can LOL. And an apple is an apple.... but I have no clue what splenda is.

Oh those poor people in lab coats. At some point in the past someone told somebody else that chemicals are bad for you. Scientists use chemicals. They take good hearty and nutritious food and they taint it with their evil chemicals all in an effort to make god cry.

Then others believed this because the alternative would involve learning a bit of chemistry and that sounds like a lot of hard work. Let me tell you this. If you can't pronounce it you shouldn't ingest it is not a good guide. Let me assure you that you consume things you can't pronounce every single day. Try looking up pyridoxine hydrochloride some time. I'll just go ahead and tell you. It's vitamin B6.

This one may shock you but we are natural. Our houses are every bit as natural as anthills. The things that we create are natural. Our scientists are not something separate from nature and neither is their work. They are working within the confines of nature at all times. We are chemical processes. Plants are chemical processes. Chemistry is the study of matter and we are made of matter. Plants are made of matter. I would really love it if we could just eliminate the stigmas associated chemicals and scientists. We benefit from the fruits of scientific endeavors every day.

Anti-science is the new religion.
    People who have rejected traditional religion as "unbelieveable" have latched on to all sorts of non-scientific silliness because it gives them touchstones of reassurance, and those are far easier to believe in than science is to understand.

Now, I think I'll go have a coffee enema to rid myself of the toxins from the unclean food I ate yesterday.
  • CoachReddy
    I'm not a big juice drinker, but I think that I would feel healthier drinking juice than I would something with artificial sweetener. For me, it's mental. If I'm going all out to be healthy, I feel strange about eating something that someone in a labcoat concocted someplace and would prefer something from nature. Now, I'm a total hypocrite because I don't eat 100% like this always- it kinda seems impossible....but on a good day... no artificial sweeteners.
    I'd simply like to have as much control as I can LOL. And an apple is an apple.... but I have no clue what splenda is.

Oh those poor people in lab coats. At some point in the past someone told somebody else that chemicals are bad for you. Scientists use chemicals. They take good hearty and nutritious food and they taint it with their evil chemicals all in an effort to make god cry.

Then others believed this because the alternative would involve learning a bit of chemistry and that sounds like a lot of hard work. Let me tell you this. If you can't pronounce it you shouldn't ingest it is not a good guide. Let me assure you that you consume things you can't pronounce every single day. Try looking up pyridoxine hydrochloride some time. I'll just go ahead and tell you. It's vitamin B6.

This one may shock you but we are natural. Our houses are every bit as natural as anthills. The things that we create are natural. Our scientists are not something separate from nature and neither is their work. They are working within the confines of nature at all times. We are chemical processes. Plants are chemical processes. Chemistry is the study of matter and we are made of matter. Plants are made of matter. I would really love it if we could just eliminate the stigmas associated chemicals and scientists. We benefit from the fruits of scientific endeavors every day.

People who have rejected traditional religion as "unbelieveable" have latched on to all sorts of non-scientific silliness because it gives them touchstones of reassurance, and those are far easier to believe in than science is to understand.

Now, I think I'll go have a coffee enema to rid myself of the toxins from the unclean food I ate yesterday.

or we just are open to other information and don't put ourselves in little boxes created by the food industries and the gov't.

for example - science will tell you that a sick person can't get better by just WANTING it and THINKING it... but then they turn right around and acknowledge the existence of the placebo effect.

there are many things science cannot yet explain, and others that it explains imperfectly. does science give us a hell of a lot of great information? yes. Is it the ONLY thing you should be open to? I don't think so. But we're all allowed to feel however we want about that.
  • iAMsmiling

or we just are open to other information and don't put ourselves in little boxes created by the food industries and the gov't.

for example - science will tell you that a sick person can't get better by just WANTING it and THINKING it... but then they turn right around and acknowledge the existence of the placebo effect.

there are many things science cannot yet explain, and others that it explains imperfectly. does science give us a hell of a lot of great information? yes. Is it the ONLY thing you should be open to? I don't think so. But we're all allowed to feel however we want about that.

You can certainly feel whatever you want about whatever you want. But, if what you feel goes against existing scientific knowledge, you're either an amazing revolutionary thinker, a not yet appreciated Galeleo, or you're headed in the wrong direction.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member

"Woman. Wo-man..... WHOOOOOAAAA MAN!"

Chill out. I'm just saying that I like having the control of knowing what's in the food that I eat. Chemicals.. blah blah blah.. what "chemicals" make up an apple... I don't really care about. I'm no scientist, and not to step on your little man toes but neither are you. I'm not carrying a banner that says "God hates splenda users." I'm just saying, I like the idea of eating something that I can go pick myself and I understand the logic behind others that are against artificial sweeteners.

In a nutshell this is the chemical composition of an apple:

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver.

Now that is not an exhaustive list as there is a little bit more to it but for the most part this is what your apple is made of and this is the lion's share of things that actually make a difference in your diet. This list compiles much of the reason that we eat them.

Now I have made claims about computers in the past and had someone tell me that I am not a computer tech so I am just talking off the cuff. On that day I was able to say, "Yes, I am a computer tech." Today I wish I changed my credits around a bit and got my degree in science because it would be great if I could say that I am an actual scientist. Truth be told I am just an educated layman. I have always had an interest in science and I have taken many classes but I changed my major over to IT when I realized I would have a higher earning potential.

All that aside making fun of me and my little man toes is not going to change the actual facts. There are plenty of things that grow naturally which you can go pick yourself that will kill you. Nobody in a lab coat ever got close to it. Try eating some berries of Belladonna. You would end up with a nice mouth full of tropane alkaloids. You would lose the ability to speak and then you would die unable to call for help. They are also known as the devil berries.

I really should dedicate myself to a more full understanding of science as should we all but even with the level of knowledge that I have I can assure you that we are all natural. I actually have a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept of anything unnatural existing. I don't exactly understand the concept.

I'm not exactly making fun of you.. I'm making fun of how touchy you are being about the fact that I don't like the idea of "man made foods." All of your "facts" aren't really adding anything to what I am saying here. As said previously... I like having the control. I don't eat deadly berries. I like knowing what I am eating.. but I don't really care what "chemicals" make up foods that come from nature. Yes... I know that you are saying its all natural... it comes from somewhere... but I don't know what or where that is when someone in a lab coat is making it. I did not disagree with Matt's point... I just gave my perspective on why I would prefer fruit juice over artificial sweetened drinks.

I guess I have the benefit of knowing that I am not worked up about this at all. I would think that any touchiness would be something you are just reading in to what I am actually saying. I am speaking from purely academic perspective.

You said "I don't really care what "chemicals" make up foods that come from nature." but you also said "I don't eat deadly berries" what this means is that you actually do care about what chemicals make up the foods you find in nature. What else do you think would determine if a berry is going to be deadly or healthy?

There is nothing wrong with having your own perspective. At no point during any of this have I ever been angry with you. Whether you were making fun of me or not is irrelevant. You are completely free to make fun of me, this is the internet but with regard to that actual content of our discussion I was simply addressing the common stigma people seem to have to anything that is produced from a lab and the tag word "chemicals". You seem to be treating me as though I were just a troll or some punk kid living in his mom's basement trying to find some joy by attacking the views of others.

Since this is the internet your assumption can easily be justified by the ubiquitous nature of people like that. Let me assure you that I am not one of those people. I am simply a man with a great appreciation for the accomplishments of science and I am a seeker of truth. You can disagree with me, Matt or anyone else but unless you are disagreeing for the sake of doing it you should be willing to listen to an examination of your views which may or may not need to be adjusted in order to conform to what the observations the world actually are.
  • CoachReddy

You can certainly feel whatever you want about whatever you want. But, if what you feel goes against existing scientific knowledge, you're either an amazing revolutionary thinker, a not yet appreciated Galeleo, or you're headed in the wrong direction.

or what i believe is supported by the decades of clinical experience of holistic doctors...
  • soldier4242
    it's pretty simple... man combining naturally found chemicals to make new chemicals that aren't found in nature. thus, "unnatural" or "synthetic"

Ok so man is natural and all the chemicals combined are natural but you call the result unnatural. If man is natural than why do you consider the actions of man to be unnatural. The ant is natural but do you consider the actions of the ant to be unnatural? Why are we setting this distinction for man? The new chemical is simply the result of our work in the same way that the anthill is the result of the ant's work. Do you consider anthills to be unnatural?
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580

I guess I have the benefit of knowing that I am not worked up about this at all. I would think that any touchiness would be something you are just reading in to what I am actually saying. I am speaking from purely academic perspective.

You said "I don't really care what "chemicals" make up foods that come from nature." but you also said "I don't eat deadly berries" what this means is that you actually do care about what chemicals make up the foods you find in nature. What else do you think would determine if a berry is going to be deadly or healthy?

There is nothing wrong with having your own perspective. At no point during any of this have I ever been angry with you. Whether you were making fun of me or not is irrelevant. You are completely free to make fun of me, this is the internet but with regard to that actual content of our discussion I was simply addressing the common stigma people seem to have to anything that is produced from a lab and the tag word "chemicals". You seem to be treating me as though I were just a troll or some punk kid living in his mom's basement trying to find some joy by attacking the views of others.

Since this is the internet your assumption can easily be justified by the ubiquitous nature of people like that. Let me assure you that I am not one of those people. I am simply a man with a great appreciation for the accomplishments of science and I am a seeker of truth. You can disagree with me, Matt or anyone else but unless you are disagreeing for the sake of doing it you should be willing to listen to an examination of your views which may or may not need to be adjusted in order to conform to what the observations the world actually are.

Sometimes it's hard to read how people are coming across... I'm a total hippie, so I'm cool as a cucumber here. I definitely didn't mean to treat you like a troll/kid- twas more or less meant to lighten the mood because you seemed to take it so seriously. I don't get into science- I failed every science class I've ever taken at least once before passing it. So it was kinda information overload for something I didn't really say.
  • soldier4242

This may be all well and good for hypothetical situations but in reality I am sure you demand a bit more from the people around you. If you or someone you cared about were sick and you went to a doctor and he said "My prescription is to WANT and or THINK about feeling better." You would write that doctor off and a lunatic and seek help elsewhere.

The placebo effect has never actually cured anything. When people have been "helped" by it what it normally means is that they did not actually have the problem in the first place which means they were simply imagining it all along or they have simply managed to block the pain because of well known and documented processes that we all have in our brains. These are the same processes that faith healers will attempt to exploit in an effort to con money out of unsuspecting believers. The thing is the cause of the pain is still there. The placebo does not actually FIX anything. As soon as the subject is given enough time the placebo effect will wear off and the patient will be right back where they started.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    it's pretty simple... man combining naturally found chemicals to make new chemicals that aren't found in nature. thus, "unnatural" or "synthetic"

Ok so man is natural and all the chemicals combined are natural but you call the result unnatural. If man is natural than why do you consider the actions of man to be unnatural. The ant is natural but do you consider the actions of the ant to be unnatural? Why are we setting this distinction for man? The new chemical is simply the result of our work in the same way that the anthill is the result of the ant's work. Do you consider anthills to be unnatural?

Because referring to everything in the universe as "natural" is a meaningless distinction.

"Natural" is generally used to refer to things that are found in nature, as opposed to "unnatural" or "artificial" things that are things not found in nature but instead created by man.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member

or what i believe is supported by the decades of clinical experience of holistic doctors...

Your quote reminds me of this - http://youtu.be/HMGIbOGu8q0

Sorry it just sprang to mind :laugh:
  • iAMsmiling

From my perspective, holistic doctor is an oxymoron. For that reason, we'll never get to common ground on this (or much else I suspect).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I'm a living "aspartame" experiment. 25 years now in the making. Check my levels when I'm dead. Just make sure you do it before they pump me full of formaldehyde.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • iAMsmiling

Your quote reminds me of this - http://youtu.be/HMGIbOGu8q0

Sorry it just sprang to mind :laugh:

Priceless!
  • soldier4242

Sometimes it's hard to read how people are coming across... I'm a total hippie, so I'm cool as a cucumber here. I definitely didn't mean to treat you like a troll/kid- twas more or less meant to lighten the mood because you seemed to take it so seriously. I don't get into science- I failed every science class I've ever taken at least once before passing it. So it was kinda information overload for something I didn't really say.

You are definitely correct about that. In the absence of verbal and facial ques we are left to our own devices to try and figure out what the actual intention of the writer is trying to say. Given that internet forums are teeming with people who want nothing more than to agitate it can be a difficult distinction to make.

I realize that science is not a pursuit that everyone is going to enjoy but given the vast amount of benefit that we have all received from it, it stands to reason that it is worth the effort. It can be so illuminating to see the world as it actually is. Everything from understanding why all the planets are spheroids to why we have two ears.(I picked two that I actually know) Often times learning about just one new thing will explain why so many other things are the way that they are.

It also protects you from those who would seek to take advantage of your lack of desire to delve in to science. Without skepticism you are more susceptible to con man. Faith healers and snake oil salesmen do not want people of science examining their trade. They know that once the curtain is lifted and people see the truth it will be a lot harder to get away with their scams.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I rarely drink juice anymore.. and when I do I check labels and get the ones that have only fruit in it..

It's not hard.. I actually want to start juicing.. but juicers are expensive!!
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    I don't drink artifical sweetners for the simple fact I am one of the rare people who can't digest it and it causes me migraines if I do. I do know that a glass of orange juice is equal to eating 10 oranges in one setting.

diet cokes wouldn't be much better because of the chemicals in them. I took a nutrition course and they did a study on rats who drank nutra sweet/ the artifical stuff they ended up with bladder cancer.

Have you seen the doses that cancer occurred?

Everything under the sun is toxic. Heck aspirin is fatal at 4x the recommended dose...

The "study" you read in your "nutrition class" was garbage. Yes, the doses were ridiculous but an FDA and EFSA review of that study found other, much more damning problems with the study.

Reported flaws were numerous and included, but were not limited to, the following: comparing cancer rates of older aspartame-consuming rats to younger control rats; unspecified composition of the "Corticella" diet and method of adding aspartame, leading to possible nutritional deficiencies; unspecified aspartame storage conditions; lack of animal randomization; overcrowding and a high incidence of possibly carcinogenic infections; and the U.S. National Toxicology Program's finding that the ERF had misdiagnosed hyperplasias as malignancies.

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/356.pdf
    http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408440701516184
  • mixtaplix
    mixtaplix Posts: 74 Member
    Matt - that video is freakin' hilarious! I'd share it, but my Wiccan Mother-in-law would probably hex me or something.....
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member

Because referring to everything in the universe as "natural" is a meaningless distinction.

"Natural" is generally used to refer to things that are found in nature, as opposed to "unnatural" or "artificial" things that are things not found in nature but instead created by man.

Umm no. Man was created by nature, ergo... anything we create is also natural. Or do you believe that God created man and that makes us unnatural?
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    No, I don't but...

This whole thread is just a load of WELL ACTULLY bull and I TOLD YOU SO crap.

Do what makes you feel good.

Neither fruit juice nor sweeteners make me food good so I don't drink them. Beer on the other hand.... xD