Health eating when i dont like Veg!

Options

Replies

• MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    In my whole time of losing weight/maintaining, I can't ever remember eating veggies... and I'm being serious.

The only ones I really like are potatoes, corn, carrots, lettuce and onions, and those I only eat every few weeks or so.

So no, you don't have to eat veggies to be healthy.. there are other ways to get nutrients/vitamins, that don't involve veggies.

please explain how that is.

where do you get vitamin K from?

Multi Vitamins, fruit... I ate a lot of fruit while losing and even maintaining, I tend to eat a ton.

I may have exaggerated with the every few weeks or so, it's more like once a week.. but still, it's not everyday like some people.

And as far as I can tell, I'm totally healthy... so until that changes, I don't see a need to change what I'm doing.

and how can you "tell"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_K

also, scroll down to where it says "Food Sources" and list for me the fruits you see there.

OoO Wikipedia... Aren't you scientific?

Try this site. http://www.livestrong.com/article/362643-fruits-that-contain-vitamin-k/

And there are more if you google "fruits that contain vitamin k"

Isn't it wonderful when someone who "doesn't like vegetables" tries to argue their point that you can be healthy without eating them.?

It is just factually inaccurate. Ask ANY qualified nutritionist! :explode:

Also please don't patronise me. I am not your sweetie. :huh: Just grow up and eat your greens!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    In my whole time of losing weight/maintaining, I can't ever remember eating veggies... and I'm being serious.

The only ones I really like are potatoes, corn, carrots, lettuce and onions, and those I only eat every few weeks or so.

So no, you don't have to eat veggies to be healthy.. there are other ways to get nutrients/vitamins, that don't involve veggies.

Multi Vitamins, fruit... I ate a lot of fruit while losing and even maintaining, I tend to eat a ton.

I may have exaggerated with the every few weeks or so, it's more like once a week.. but still, it's not everyday like some people.

And as far as I can tell, I'm totally healthy... so until that changes, I don't see a need to change what I'm doing.

and how can you "tell"?

also, scroll down to where it says "Food Sources" and list for me the fruits you see there.

Try this site. http://www.livestrong.com/article/362643-fruits-that-contain-vitamin-k/

1) you're fighting wikipedia with livestrong

2) the livestrong article doesn't say how MUCH vitamin K they include. why? because it's very, very little compared to veggies for K1

you'd have to eat 53 kiwis to match 1/2 cup of kale.

good luck.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

and how can you "tell"?

Interesting. It's great when someone who clearly knows nutrition comes along and totally blows someones understanding of nutrition out of the water.

I've said it once and i'll say it again. You CANNOT be healthy without vegetables.

He's an actor and a beach body coach, who's source is wikipedia.. which everyone who has ever done real research, knows is not reliable.

Clearly he knows a ton about nutrition sweetie and should be trusted.

so you eat 53 kiwis daily?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I hate veggies too. I literally can't chew spinach without making a horrible face. But I eat a sliced up cucumber or a side salad (both with a little ranch dressing) with my lunch every day. And either put them into the foods you make, or just suck it up and eat them. Of course, there's no rule that you have to eat vegetables, but if you don't, you won't get a lot of volume for your calories. What works best for me is eating a little bit of fat with the veggies. Sautee them in a skillet with a little bit of oil and seasoning. The fat kind of blocks the taste for me. I saw it on Dr. Oz, and though most people he's a wacko, he's right about some things. It really helps. Also, I'll eat them in casserole.
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    Assuming you are looking for a wAy to tolerate or even like veggies, not just a magic answer try a few things:

Do not like leafy taste?Try tomato or butter nut squash, for example

Do not like leafy texture? Try a pureed soup, mix cauliflower, carrot, butter nut squash or spinach with you mashed potatoes ( start small, increase over time if you need to)

Or want to try Kale, but not sure you like it? Try classic sauteeing first, even add a bit of ham or bacon to it. Not good? How about eating raw in a wintry salad with pears and gorgonzola for example ( look up a good vinagrette for it too), still not good? Try kale chips? Still not good? Try chopping into tiny bits like parsley snd sprinkle a bit on anything? Still not good? Either repeat several times, or try a new veggie! Stuffed bell peppers? Raw bell pepper dipped? Sauce made from roasted bell peppers? No? Try another veggie!

And do you really not like the starchier veggies, like corn either? Who does not like corn??

Or what about salsa, quacamole, tomato based pasta sauces or pesto, are those gross too?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'd add is get a tape measure and start taking weekly measurements of yourself. I do across both arms at the bicep, waist at the navel, hips, both thighs.

It's very possible you lost fat and added muscle this week. So the scale didn't move, but is that a bad thing? Not at all!

Taking measurements keeps your focus on the bigger picture and not one number.

And there are all kinds of vegetables, there have to be some you like. If not, I'd offer that you probably haven't tried them in decades and need to give them another shot. I've tried just about everything I didn't like as a kid as an adult and the only things I still don't eat are celery and beets.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Try the Light V-8 Fusions, they have alot of fruit and veggie stuff in them aren't a ton of calories and taste like normal juice you might like those and get some in that way. Or try putting veggies in Soups cuz the soup flavor may make them taste better to ya.
  • SlimDown4Good
    Options
    How about a veggie smoothie? There are many healthy low cal recipes out there. The good thing is you wont taste the "green"
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

and how can you "tell"?

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=112#foodchart

You'd have to eat a whole lots (cups and cups) of blueberries, strawberries to match the vit K content of the high vit K veggies.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Assuming you are looking for a wAy to tolerate or even like veggies, not just a magic answer try a few things:

Do not like leafy taste?Try tomato or butter nut squash, for example

Do not like leafy texture? Try a pureed soup, mix cauliflower, carrot, butter nut squash or spinach with you mashed potatoes ( start small, increase over time if you need to)

Or want to try Kale, but not sure you like it? Try classic sauteeing first, even add a bit of ham or bacon to it. Not good? How about eating raw in a wintry salad with pears and gorgonzola for example ( look up a good vinagrette for it too), still not good? Try kale chips? Still not good? Try chopping into tiny bits like parsley snd sprinkle a bit on anything? Still not good? Either repeat severl times, or try a new veggie! Stiffed bell peppers? Raw bell pepper dipped? Sauce made from roasted bell peppers? No? Try another veggie!

And do you really not like the starchier veggies, like corn either? Who does not like corn??

Or what about salsa, quacamole, tomato based pasta sauces or pesto, are those gross too?

My guess is it goes back to childhood. Time to put aside those prejudices and start trying new foods again. Often time you'll find things enjoyable as an adult that were less so as a child.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    At 23 years old, it's extremely unlikely that you've tried everything. Much of taste is learned behavior. Maybe it's time to learn some new tastes. You don't have to eat salad. I eat 7 servings of vegetables a day on average (I"ve been tracking) and I couldn't tell you the last time I had a salad.

Make sandwich wraps and add chopped peppers, onions, cucumber or other crunchy vegetables as a well as a generous handful of spinach or arugula, along with your favorite sandwich meat or other filling.

Dip veggie sticks in ranch dip, hummus, salsa or peanut butter.

Soups, chilis and stews are excellent ways to add veggies to your diet.

Puree cooked carrots into pasta sauces. Add veggies to omelets and pizzas.

If you don't like leafy salads, try grain or bean salads. Quinoa, bulgar wheat, wheat berries or other grains mixed with cooked beans, choppped crunchy vegetables and a vinaigrette is quite declicious.

Serve meat with a mushroom sauce.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

Sorry but I just don't agree with this statement.

You cannot rely on multivitamin supplements in place of REAL food. It is not the same, that are not absorbed nearly as easily and efficiently as REAL food. I would love to know what real food you get all your vitamins from if you don't eat any vegetables.

I honestly do not believe you can be healthy without adequate vegetables and I think most nutritionists that know what they are talking about will agree.

Agree. I'm always trying to find ways to add vegetables to my diet. When I make a pot of chili now I add 2-3 onions and a bag of chopped and diced carrots, plus a few peppers. It's not hard when you put some thought into it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Try the Light V-8 Fusions, they have alot of fruit and veggie stuff in them aren't a ton of calories and taste like normal juice you might like those and get some in that way. Or try putting veggies in Soups cuz the soup flavor may make them taste better to ya.

yeah... they're also full of high fructose corn syrup instead of fruit...
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Can ANYONE help me!! Im trying to lose weight, doing the 5;2 diet where for two days i have 500 calories, im also swimming 2-3 times a week (gym has stopped due to injury for the moment). However im trying to eat good but theres a massive problem, i dont like veg or much salad! Ive been like it all my life and trust me ive tried everything to help me eat well!!

Advice anyone?

p.s motivation is 0 at the moment after weighing today and no loss!

My kid doesn't 'like' veggies either. And there are some that I don't like, but I eat them anyway because of the nutritional value. But like I tell my kid, whether you like it or not, she's going to eat it anyway. And most of the time, after she eats it, she'll tell me that she kinda likes it. Which to her means that she does. And it helps. Most people would be jealous of the muscle definition of my 7yo. I know that I am. But she does gymnastics for 6 hours a week.

Cook them in different ways. Find ways to hide them. When I cook spaghetti or chili (both are cooked with ground turkey breast), I will add cooked carrots smashed up in there. The kidlet doesn't know that she's getting in her veggies that way. Roasting veggies with a little olive oil and garlic gives them a different flavor. I will usually add a little feta to hers as well to get her to eat them better.

Get it out of your head that you don't like veggies or you'll never eat them.
  • awebs89
    awebs89 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I was the same way. I hated ALL vegetables and refused to eat any of them. I learned that you need to get over thinking you don't like certain foods. Just eat them.
  • shelaneydae
    Options
    [/quote]

""I'm going to give you the advice that somebody gave me yesterday when I posted a topic about ways to make plain water less plain because I hate plain water: suck it up. You need to have a balanced diet in order to lose weight. You need the nutrients and vitamins that come from vegetables. Your body needs it. You need to either suck it up, or find ways to make veggies more tasty.

For example, I can add lemon or cucumber to my water for a natural flavor boost.

You can make an awesome stir fry with frozen stir fry vegetables, chicken and orange oriental sauce, soy sauce, teryaki sauce, whatever you like. But you need to incorporate the vegetables.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but unfortunately it's the best thing I can offer up. Good luck!""
    [/quote]

This.
    Suck it up. You think people would rather eat vegetables instead of chips? Hell no! But if losing weight is something you REALLY want, you're going to have to suck it up and do it. No excuses.
  • craigy_84
    craigy_84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You don't like vegetables on their own...

For instance a basic (home made) italian ragu contains Onions, Carrots, Celery and Tomatos as the base ingredients. Get a wise head when cooking your meals and you will easily increase your vegetable intake.
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you are just wanting to loose weight and you are not concerned with nutrition and health, by all means, keep avoiding veggies. BUT, if this is about a lifestyle change and about getting what your body needs, you gotta eat them. One really great way to get them is to make a "smoothie" with them and add fruits (like blueberries). The fruits masked the taste of the veggies and you are getting tons of nutrients! The truth is, if you know you need them you will find a way. You can find all kinds of healthy recipes for the smoothies online. I hope you find one and keep an open mind. Good luck on your journey!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

and how can you "tell"?

Interesting. It's great when someone who clearly knows nutrition comes along and totally blows someones understanding of nutrition out of the water.

I've said it once and i'll say it again. You CANNOT be healthy without vegetables.

He's an actor and a beach body coach, who's source is wikipedia.. which everyone who has ever done real research, knows is not reliable.

Clearly he knows a ton about nutrition sweetie and should be trusted.

so... care to follow up on this? if you're gonna attack me on a personal level at least stand your ground and prove me wrong.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Yes, just grate stuff and hide it, carrots, zucchini, spinach chopped up. In cake too. Yum!