Love to jog BUT.........

Options
2»

Replies

• KristysLosing
    Options
    Lots of good shoe advice here!

*Only run on soft surfaces [hard-packed trails, treadmill, grass, asphalt roads---but never, ever on cement sidewalks or paths]
    * Water running in a deep pool using a running vest until the knees heal
    *Ice those knees.

Good luck!

asphalt - since when is that a soft surface?

Asphalt (400-600 psi) is "softer" than concrete (typically 3000 psi) meaning that it takes compression and then expands back to its original state. Not as soft as grass, admittedly, but I always hit the road rather than the pavement when running as it's easier on the knees.

Interesting...I was wondering how that works too!
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Strengthen you legs with cross training, get a foam roller and see a physician or physical therapist to check it out.
  • stepgonz
    stepgonz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    They will not give me the IUD because I have never had kids and most doctors will only let you do this method if you have had children
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    They will not give me the IUD because I have never had kids and most doctors will only let you do this method if you have had children

Like I said, there have been lots of new pills on the market in the last 15 years, such as Cerazette and low-dose combined pills with fewer side effects. If it's a choice between your weight and your bones then it's a no-brainer.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It's amazing that when you start running you also learn about physics! I always assumed runners ran on the road so that they didn't have to go up and down curbs. Little did I know it was because tarmac/asphalt is bouncier!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    This years transition from indoor to outdoor running is for the first time causing my knees to hurt. I decided that I'm going to start to run with minimalist running shoes. I'm aware that this is going to be a lengthy process while my feet, tendons and calf muscles adjust to my new running style, but right off the bat on my first run I noticed that my feet were landing much softer. So now it's just a matter of building up my endurance, fingers crossed as I've already signed up for a half marathon in mid-May. Best of luck to you
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

This isn't true. You can get an IUD even if you haven't had children.

You know the answer to your question is to stop taking depo. You know the health risks involved, are experiencing the side effect of loss of bone density. It's time to give your body a break from hormones.

Many doctors will give a copper wire IUD (hormone free) or Mirena to a woman who hasn't had children. The biggest difference is the moment of insertion is a bit more painful for the woman who hasn't had children. I know many women who haven't had children who have IUDs.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    It's amazing that when you start running you also learn about physics! I always assumed runners ran on the road so that they didn't have to go up and down curbs. Little did I know it was because tarmac/asphalt is bouncier!

I wish the tarmac in my town was bouncier! lol But it sure doesn't feel that way