Salt Kills

Options
Deipneus
Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
All kinds of things are claimed to be unsafe on MFP forums without any scientific evidence at all let alone proof.

This isn't proof, but it is scientific evidence that all that salt people eat is killing some of them.

Headline: Harvard salt study shows 2.3 million related deaths worldwide in 2010
March 22, 2013 - 08:40 am

"Ten percent of deaths in the United States can be attributed in part to the overconsumption of salt, a new Harvard study says.

The death of more than 2 million cardiovascular deaths worldwide in 2010 were linked to excessive salt intake, the study says, and one in 10 Americans are dying from eating too much sodium."

http://wj.la/15zBUvP

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/03/21/1-in-10-u-s-deaths-blamed-on-salt/

Replies

• aelfrice
    aelfrice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Shame on ABC, NBC, CBS, and the rest of those who resort to sensationalism. "A team of Harvard researchers" is not a signifier of authority here. As the article linked to in the OP points outs--somewhere at the bottom, this review of other studies has yet to be published in a peer-reviewed journal. While being published doesn't make something true, it's reasonable to demand that findings this contrary to recent thought be scrutinized. To not do so is a red flag.

The article, obviously not written by someone with scientific training, seems to report preliminary findings as fact. I believe that the researcher believes his findings to be true but how can readers be served by reporting on the confidence level of an academic who somehow was able to convince every major news organization--it seems--to have this story ready on the day of presentation?

In other words, this story is anecdotal. People have a hard enough time wading through real findings of fact. Introducing BS can't help.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Life kills man. It's inevitable.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
  • Deipneus
    Options
    aelfrice wrote:
    Shame on ABC, NBC, CBS, and the rest of those who resort to sensationalism. "A team of Harvard researchers" is not a signifier of authority here. As the article linked to in the OP points outs--somewhere at the bottom, this review of other studies has yet to be published in a peer-reviewed journal. While being published doesn't make something true, it's reasonable to demand that findings this contrary to recent thought be scrutinized. To not do so is a red flag.
    I'm impressed! I posted it and I didn't even read it that far myself! My original point was that people say things all the time on the forums, a lot of it with no evidence at all. I posted this because it has "some", but you're right, this is hardly final.

The last thing I should do is add to the lack of science in the forums. Hopefully, your addition will inspire people to be more discriminating.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    ...thought this might be a thread about garden slugs...
  • aelfrice
    aelfrice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed! I posted it and I didn't even read it that far myself! My original point was that people say things all the time on the forums, a lot of it with no evidence at all. I posted this because it has "some", but you're right, this is hardly final.

The last thing I should do is add to the lack of science in the forums. Hopefully, your addition will inspire people to be more discriminating.

In a rush to be more skeptical than thou, I forgot that you weren't promoting this story but were complaining that people take too much for granted. I didn't mean to criticize you; I was writing on autopilot. Thanks for being so gracious.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    In a rush to be more skeptical than thou, I forgot that you weren't promoting this story but were complaining that people take too much for granted. I didn't mean to criticize you; I was writing on autopilot. Thanks for being so gracious.
    Nah, thanks for the catch. I liked your first point that ABC, NBC, CBS et al sensationalize stories. I can't believe I got sucked into one of their stories myself!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    ...thought this might be a thread about garden slugs...

In that case, beer also kills.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Liar.

If you eat clean/paleo/avoid carbs and artificial sweeteners, you will not only live forever, but you will also apoear to be 16 years old even when you're a million years old.

Fact.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Salt significantly alters blood pressure. If expressed in scientific terms. A change of greater than 1.

However the word significant is not the same as the every day word.

From memory the study that the whole **** storm came from, showed a change from the average of 121/81 to 123/82 or something equally daft and unimportant.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    There is power in statistics. This study can only be CORRELATIONAL because salt is not the direct cause of death, therefore, other contributing factors, for example potassium deficiency, cannot be excluded as contributing to those deaths.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nobody gets out alive
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Liar.

If you eat clean/paleo/avoid carbs and artificial sweeteners, you will not only live forever, but you will also apoear to be 16 years old even when you're a million years old.

Fact.
    I don't want to live forever, I'd get absurdly bored.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    9TNsf3f.jpg
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    All kinds of things are claimed to be unsafe on MFP forums without any scientific evidence at all let alone proof.

This isn't proof, but it is scientific evidence that all that salt people eat is killing some of them.

Headline: Harvard salt study shows 2.3 million related deaths worldwide in 2010
    March 22, 2013 - 08:40 am

"Ten percent of deaths in the United States can be attributed in part to the overconsumption of salt, a new Harvard study says.

The death of more than 2 million cardiovascular deaths worldwide in 2010 were linked to excessive salt intake, the study says, and one in 10 Americans are dying from eating too much sodium."

http://wj.la/15zBUvP

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/03/21/1-in-10-u-s-deaths-blamed-on-salt/

slugmaze.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Are people now slugs and dying from salt?
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Ah yes....yet another "Chicken Little". SIGH.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be dead than to have to live with my sodium within a normal range. *drinks soy sauce from the bottle*
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    So, salt contributes to high blood pressure. High blood pressure kills.

My blood pressure is great. I'll have all the salt I please.