Lower abdomen toning

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "upper" and "lower" abs. It's one muscle, if you work abs, you are working the entire thing. Now, working your abs does nothing for excess abdominal fat. Calorie deficit takes care of that.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    My trainer has me do leg lifts (4 sets of 30) and reverse crunches (3 sets of 20) It's working, but very slowly.

It's not the crunches that's doing it. It's the calorie deficit.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Lose more body fat. You can't tone anything. You build muscle or lose fat. There is nothing you can tone.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    What is orrly?

rPT97f6.gif

highfive.gif
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Lose more body fat. You can't tone anything. You build muscle or lose fat. There is nothing you can tone.

^^This^^
  • marypatmccue
    Options
    There's no such thing as "upper" and "lower" abs. It's one muscle, if you work abs, you are working the entire thing. Now, working your abs does nothing for excess abdominal fat. Calorie deficit takes care of that.

Uhm. To your first point:
    LOL - What?!
    Please see below.
    abdominals.jpg

But yes, you're right, eating at a deficit is what will help...
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    If its a slang word I won't get it.. Not up to date with that to be honest lol.

Thanks for the advice everyone I will carry on with watching calories and try a few things and hope to see a change.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I Currently do:
    3 sets of 20 squats for my bum and legs
    3 sets of 20 crunches for my upper abdomen
    And run 30 mins 3 times a week training for a 5k

What is the best exercise to shrink my lower abdomen?
    This seems to be a problem area for me :-(

you need to wrap it in shrink wrap for seven days and then release..works wonders for me...
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    There are upper and lower ab exercises and indeed obliques etc.

However a general exercise regime will grow them.

I built this look last year with no ab work at all...

533300_10150878195941611_820015953_n.jpg
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I know you can't spot lose, but I am interested in knowing what people do to work their lower abs.

bicycle crunches
    pikes
    leg raises

but I don't do many of them - only for maybe 5 mins max, once a week at boxing.

also... planks - front, side, obliques
  • marypatmccue
    Options

Hey... hi there... how you doin'?!
    HAHA:wink:
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i use my slendertone below my belly button for 30min every other day, works great!
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options

He has all of those stomach muscles just from losing body fat? Does this mean I can quit doing ab ripper x? :)
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I Currently do:
    3 sets of 20 squats for my bum and legs
    3 sets of 20 crunches for my upper abdomen
    And run 30 mins 3 times a week training for a 5k

What is the best exercise to shrink my lower abdomen?
    This seems to be a problem area for me :-(

Try this, its a 10 minute workout for lower abs. Youtube is your friend. Just use the search bar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RaP4Hi4m9I
  • tigersword
    Options

LOL - What?!
    Please see below.
    abdominals.jpg

Let me rephrase. It is one muscle group, that all works together. You cannot really isolate upper or lower. Upper ab exercises also work the lower abs, and lower ab exercises also work the upper abs. It's impossible to only work one part of the muscle.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

LOL - What?!
    Please see below.
    abdominals.jpg

Tigersworld was correct. There are no "upper" and "lower" abs. The 6 or 8 pack is actually the rectus abdominis and it's one long muscle. The other obdominal muscles, (external obliques, internal obliques, and transversus abdominis) are simply more internally or obliquely located rather than above or below.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

^^This^^

huh? there is totally such a thing a muscle toning...the more you work out a muscle the more developed, functional, and stronger it gets even if you are not "gaining mass"
  • tigersword
    Options

^^This^^

huh? there is totally such a thing a muscle toning...the more you work out a muscle the more developed, functional, and stronger it gets even if you are not "gaining mass"
    And that is not even close to the definition of muscle tone. Muscle has tone, it cannot be toned. It's like saying a white car is "whited." Do you "white" your walls when you change color? You can't tone muscles, you either build them or break them down.
  • tigersword
    Options

LOL - What?!
    Please see below.
    abdominals.jpg

Tigersworld was correct. There are no "upper" and "lower" abs. The 6 or 8 pack is actually the rectus abdominis and it's one long muscle. The other obdominal muscles, (external obliques, internal obliques, and transversus abdominis) are simply more internally or obliquely located rather than above or below.
    People always seem to think that just because tendons cross the rectus abdominus, that it's suddenly more than one muscle.
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    20 years old almost 21, does this make a difference?

In terms of if he will hit on you or not, yes

^^^ LOL at Matt!