Lower abdomen toning

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Can't spot reduce. Can't tone. Sorry. Eat at a deficit to reduce fat mass.
  • RThompson35
    Options
    I find that raising legs helps to isolate lower abs. Examples: bicycle crunches, scissors kicks (also called flutter kicks), hanging leg raises, lying leg raises...

BTW: I agree with no spot reduction. Diet and cardio to reduce fat layer. However, the more muscle mass you develop the better. So developing ab muscles is a good idea. Don't forget the obliques (side muscle groups).
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What is orrly?

rPT97f6.gif

highfive.gif

:laugh:
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Anything involving raising your legs works the lower area best.

My trainer says the same thing and we do alot of flutter kicks and "round the world" moves, etc. It is the hardest part to lose though because I have been taking ab classes 3x a week for 30 for 2.5 months and have great upper abs, but the lower are still a work in progress.
  • RThompson35
    Options
    I would stick with the ab work and ask him what he ate (or didn't eat) to get that lean.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm trying pilates as a way of getting at that area - hoping to increase my core strength and improve my balance, and also that when the worst of my remaining fat eventually comes off there'll be tautness to show off!
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You people are so mean to someone asking a simple/honest question! So she may not be "educated" about her question, but that doesn't give you the right to bully. Grow up!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    He has all of those stomach muscles just from losing body fat? Does this mean I can quit doing ab ripper x? :)

Yes.

I lift weights but never do abs.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    You people are so mean to someone asking a simple/honest question! So she may not be "educated" about her question, but that doesn't give you the right to bully. Grow up!

Oh dear...it will be okay. She seems like a good sport.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If its a slang word I won't get it.. Not up to date with that to be honest lol.

ORLLY? = Oh Really?
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What is orrly?

rPT97f6.gif

highfive.gif
    This made my day :laugh:
  • rishonb
    rishonb Posts: 232
    Options
    Best stomach exercise for me and works for many others is planks...
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    sexual yoga positions seem to be helping me.

interesting...where can I get more info?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    He has all of those stomach muscles just from losing body fat? Does this mean I can quit doing ab ripper x? :)

Yes.

I lift weights but never do abs.

Ditto. Can't remember the last time I did an "abnominal" exercise. Everyone has a "6-pack". You just need to lose the fat over the top of it.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    There are upper and lower ab exercises and indeed obliques etc.

However a general exercise regime will grow them.

I built this look last year with no ab work at all...

533300_10150878195941611_820015953_n.jpg

Hey... hi there... how you doin'?!

HAHA:wink:

LMAO I was soooo thinking the same thing. LOL
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    sexual yoga positions seem to be helping me.

interesting...where can I get more info?

from the book im writing...lol...

girl...just gotta be creative with your man.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I think it should be clarified that while certain exercises will feel as though they are working the "upper" and "lower" portion of the abs more or less, they are not affecting the upper or lower portion of the rectus abdominis muscle any differently. The rectus abdominis is the most visual, "6 pack" portion of the abdominal muscles. When you do various ab exercises and feel it working the upper and lower area you are probably just incorporating more or less of the other abdominal muscles like the internal and external obliques, as well at the transverse abdominis. This isn't a bad thing but it won't have any effect on the shape of your washboard :)
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    There are upper and lower ab exercises and indeed obliques etc.

However a general exercise regime will grow them.

I built this look last year with no ab work at all...

533300_10150878195941611_820015953_n.jpg

I believe him as all of my personally research and fact checking has always confirmed all of Matt and Yo's advice. In the grand scheme of things it does make a lot of sense. The abdominal muscles are core muscles. The body employs these muscle for almost all of your daily activities. Something as simple as standing up from a chair uses the abdominal muscles.

Now look at a workout in the gym. If you are doing squats you are using your abs. If you are doing dead lifts you are using your abs. If you are doing pushups you are still engaging your abs. Over the course of an entire training regimen your abs will still get a good bit of exercise. I have improved my situp event on the APFT by about 10 situps and I did not do any situps to train for it. Thanks to following Matt and Yo's advice my body is looking better. I can lift more and I am confident that if i stick with it long enough that I will be able to post my own picture one day.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "upper" and "lower" abs. It's one muscle, if you work abs, you are working the entire thing. Now, working your abs does nothing for excess abdominal fat. Calorie deficit takes care of that.

Uhm. To your first point:
    LOL - What?!
    Please see below.
    abdominals.jpg

But yes, you're right, eating at a deficit is what will help...

This. :D
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    my husband who was very athletic all of his life speaks about the 'core' muscles - those are the muscles I believe you are talking about... there are ways to strengthen them, I am not promising that the bulge will go away, but whenever you tone muscle, it usually gets lean -

sit on the floor, pull your feet in close to your body with your legs flat to the sides and then stretch your body forward - I hope I am describing it well - this is one form of isometrics - using your own body to create its own strength -

I have found leg raisers - lay on the floor, place your hands under your touch or small of your back for comfort, with your legs stretched out left them up then slowly let them decend to just an inch over the floor, hold for a few seconds and repeat. For other adaptations,

stretch out the legs, pul the feet toward your bottom, then lift your knees up and down so the do not touch the floor, while keeping your stomach muscles in check.

You can imagin other adaptations, pull your legs out straight to the side without touching the floor... Crunches will actually help your core muscles if you make adaptations to them.... I find laying on the floor, with my arms behind my head, raise one knee to your chest while meeting the opposite elbow to it [you have to raise your head]