Do things like spelling and grammar....

Options
13»

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Their a lot of people hear looking 4 a raisin 2 correct you’re grammer an spelling.
    :laugh: Well played.

In the forums, I'm willing to relax a little when it comes to spelling and grammar. However, shortening any word possible and using numbers in place of words/parts of words really gets to me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As long as you know the difference between then and than, we're good.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Uh....yeah. Why pick and choose where you're going to use proper grammar and spelling?
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    depends on if you want to appear intelligent or not...

Very interesting… So according to your logic all non English speakers are “not intelligent”? Or if English is not their primary Language they should not be part of the MFP’s community because it bothers native speakers? Not because some lives in the US or England means that English is their primary language. Let’s switch languages and see how well you perform… :wink:
  • JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options
    communication is made up of senders and receivers. The responsibility of the sender is to send the information out with the fewest barriers. Incorrect spelling and improper grammar are barriers. If you are sending to one person, who you know and knows you to the point where a barrier like spelling or grammar would not be an issue, then spelling and grammar do not matter. The more people the sender wants to reach with his/her message, the more proper and within the general rules of sentence structure, spelling, and grammar they should make the message. While it is indeterminable to whom the spelling and grammar effect, you will not find someone who cannot understand the message because it IS spelled properly, and structured correctly.

So, really, whether or not it "matters" is dependent upon with whom the sender wishes to communicate, and if they want to exclude people from receiving said communication.

Is that the kind of answer you were wanting?

I think I might love you.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I hope not!! I'd rather do Algebra than worry about grammar and punctuation!!:ohwell:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    communication is made up of senders and receivers. The responsibility of the sender is to send the information out with the fewest barriers. Incorrect spelling and improper grammar are barriers. If you are sending to one person, who you know and knows you to the point where a barrier like spelling or grammar would not be an issue, then spelling and grammar do not matter. The more people the sender wants to reach with his/her message, the more proper and within the general rules of sentence structure, spelling, and grammar they should make the message. While it is indeterminable to whom the spelling and grammar effect, you will not find someone who cannot understand the message because it IS spelled properly, and structured correctly.

So, really, whether or not it "matters" is dependent upon with whom the sender wishes to communicate, and if they want to exclude people from receiving said communication.

Is that the kind of answer you were wanting?

I'm not the first to say it - but wow, I"m in love!

I edit all the time, but I will NOT point it out to you and make you feel like an idiot. I will just ignore you.

:blushing:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options

:flowerforyou:

:) I can be Silver Fox.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I've noticed if someone is losing an argument or has nothing clever to say, they resort to picking apart grammar. I personally don't give a *kitten* if something is misspelled.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Grammar, puctuation and spelling are important. The younger generations have digressed to OMG's, LOL's and "Like" on Facebook and most social media. There is little true content in communication any more.

When I open a thread and see grammatical and spelling errors I make a judgement of that person.

Go ahead and shoot me down. If you don't care for my thoughts on this subject and mispell your retorts I ain't a gonna pay attention anywho.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I am a closet grammar nazi, but I try to be a nice one. :bigsmile:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Personal attacks are usually a last ditch effort in arguments or misplaced opinions.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I automatically correct grammatical errors as I read them in my posts, and others, which lends to god-awful errors on my part. I find these errors mortifying.

PS,
    I'm a fan of the oxford comma.