Is anyone terrified of falling off the treadmill??

Options
Ok, so ever since I was like 12 which is the last time until recently that I had ever been on a treadmill I have been so terrified that I'm going to fall off of one and I know it's probably not going to happen but I just can't push myself I just now made myself jog but I was terrified the entire time. So, I'm wondering am I the only one who is terrified of falling off and what's the likeliness that I will fall off the treadmill and if I do does it really even hurt that much. Really stupid I know but it's a real fear of mine :-/

Replies

• tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Nope!
    I have that same fear......
    Its one of the reasons I always hold on to the rails and stuff! :blushing:

I never walk straight. I tend to veer to the right, then to the left.... its kinda funny. When I am walking next to someone, I am always bumping into them.
    So when I walk on the treadmill I have to actually focus on walking straight and I get this fear that I'm going to start veering off to the side and accidently put my foot on the machine and not on the moving tread and then fall very awkwardly. :laugh:
    So I hold on to the rails so that if I lose focus, I'm still "safe".... :ohwell:
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    so glad I'm not the only one, I even almost fell off when we first tried this one out before we bought it, I forgot to slow it down a bit before just putting my feet on the side, and one of my feet stayed on the treadmill and almost brought me down lol
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I grip for dear life ( lucky really that even the more experienced members of the gym all do the same) but i am petrified of jogging cos i imagine myself slipping and banging my head... Slowly getting faster.xx
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just note that it can greatly cut down your calorie burn if you hold the rails. That's the reason they yell at them on Biggest Loser to not touch the machine.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've been a gym go-er since I was 17. I've never fallen off a treadmill, nor ever seen anyone fall off FWIW.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I almost did. Went to turn up the volume and it 10! I was running as fast as I could and hanging on. Hubby just sat there. Finally got one foot off. Wear safety strap all the time now even when just doing a nice easy walk.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Im going to help you overcome your fear. Look how this guy just gets back up.

CZ9ySJ3.gif
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just note that it can greatly cut down your calorie burn if you hold the rails. That's the reason they yell at them on Biggest Loser to not touch the machine.

Thank goodness i'm not on the biggest loser :-) xx
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

how do you know that is the reason?? I have NEVER Heard this before....
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

CZ9ySJ3.gif

you win the Internets.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

CZ9ySJ3.gif
    HEY THAT'S MY GIF!!!!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    It happened to me once at the gym, but that was because I was trying to grab my iPod which fell on the floor besides it.

Point being, don't do stupid **** and you'll be fine.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have that fear too, which is why I rarely use the treadmill, because I'll hold onto the rails and apparently that takes a lot off the burn.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I never walk straight. I tend to veer to the right, then to the left.... its kinda funny. When I am walking next to someone, I am always bumping into them.
    So when I walk on the treadmill I have to actually focus on walking straight and I get this fear that I'm going to start veering off to the side and accidently put my foot on the machine and not on the moving tread and then fall very awkwardly. :laugh:
    So I hold on to the rails so that if I lose focus, I'm still "safe".... :ohwell:

So I'm not the only one! I always feel like a &^% $#@! drunk on the treadmill. And yet I'm still trying to run. At least I'm good for a laugh at the gym!
  • aznsdgrl
    aznsdgrl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I fell on a treadmill when I was younger and didn't let go for a few seconds, my knees were raw. Now when I'm on a treadmill I run towards the front even though I know there is plenty of room.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    These guys can do it without falling, so can I.

tumblr_lndufjeinA1qen6oko1_400.gif
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Having the ground moving beneath you while you're otherwise stationary is not a natural sensation. Best thing you can do really is practice and learn to trust it. It does take some getting used to because the machine will want to maintain a constant speed, which is not something our bodies tend to do when we're running outdoors.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I fell on a treadmill when I was younger and didn't let go for a few seconds, my knees were raw. Now when I'm on a treadmill I run towards the front even though I know there is plenty of room.

Is this the REAL reason your knees were raw?

Be honest.
  • ziambucks
    Options
    when i was about thirteen, i literally SHOT off of my aunt's treadmill because i got distracted by her cat trying to walk onto it. i hit the wall and laid there and cried for about ten minutes and her cats looked at me, but besides a bruise on my back and a wounded ego i was fine LOL
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Falling off a treadmill was how I figured out I was pregnant.