Is anyone terrified of falling off the treadmill??

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Here is the GIF, in its entirety.

tumblr_mk1apeOFIL1s21fd0o1_400.gif
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    what like this?

JJL2x.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say terrified, but I'm concerned I might..lol. That or totally trip over my feet (which I have done >.>). My sense of balance wasn't all that great to begin with and a few years ago I got a really bad case of vertigo which I haven't completely gotten over. It's a little embarrassing when you are just standing there at times and suddenly start leaning..lol. Doesn't happen as often so yay :D

Funny_Pictures_Animated_Treadmill_A.gif
    onlylolgifs2.gif
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have fallen off the damn thing. At the YMCA when it was full. Didn't hurt much....just my ego.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Here is the GIF, in its entirety.

tumblr_mk1apeOFIL1s21fd0o1_400.gif

damnet geeky :D
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    what like this?

JJL2x.gif

It's missing when he tries to get back up and ends up back on the treadmill and falls back off. I remember this on World's Dumbest..lol.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just note that it can greatly cut down your calorie burn if you hold the rails. That's the reason they yell at them on Biggest Loser to not touch the machine.

how do you know that is the reason?? I have NEVER Heard this before....

http://voices.yahoo.com/10-reasons-never-hold-onto-treadmill-383744.html?cat=50

You're not engaging your whole body when you are holding on.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think you should probably start with a realistic speed and you won't fall off. You just haven't really done it and that makes you nervous. I started walking, increased my speed and then moved to incline intervals. Now I'm starting week 7 of C25K and have never fallen. I will admit that I'm afraid to run outside because I've afraid I'll fall. That's my next challanged. Finish C25K and move outside, the weather will be great and if I want to run a 5k race I'm pretty sure I'll have to run outside!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    No but I do get in to a groove sometimes and try to outrun it.
  • autopilot_on
    Options
    I went to the gym for 2 years before I finally plucked up enough courage to get on one. I haven't fallen off...yet. But the possibility is still in the back of my mind.
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
    :laugh:
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Mine has a safety line I can attach to me that will pull out of the machine if I fall and do a quick stop. I don't use it though because I am not afraid of falling off.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I've come most of the way off the back once - scary, but recoverable (at least at 4 mph it is). Not sure about how it would be going faster.
    Just note that it can greatly cut down your calorie burn if you hold the rails. That's the reason they yell at them on Biggest Loser to not touch the machine.

:) I tested this the other day. My HRM calorie burn was 2 fewer calories over 30 minutes when I held on versus arm swing.

At least for me - I'm not buying this theory. (I don't hold on normally - this was just "for science") :)
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I hold on for two reasons one is that my balance sucks and when I try and let go I wobble and the second is that the heart rate monitors are there. It is true you get a better workout if you let go but oh well...life goes on I'm dripping with sweat when I get off and that's good enough for me.
  • Sharla_G
    Sharla_G Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm with you, I fell on a treadmill when I was younger and didn't let go for a few seconds, my knees were raw. Now when I'm on a treadmill I run towards the front even though I know there is plenty of room.

Is this the REAL reason your knees were raw?

Be honest.
    LOL!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    ME~~~!!

It's never actually hapepned, but it hitched once and since then, it's terrifying. I finally gave it up and won't do it, too stressful! Switched to the elliptical and it provides so much more peace of mind!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I hold on for two reasons one is that my balance sucks and when I try and let go I wobble and the second is that the heart rate monitors are there. It is true you get a better workout if you let go but oh well...life goes on I'm dripping with sweat when I get off and that's good enough for me.

Decent balance is optional. :)

Just stay up front by the rails, I bounce off them (and the front) all of the time. :)
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yup... watched too many sitcoms when I was little and saw so many people fall off of them....
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yep! I'm a clutz. Sometimes I get tired and run more towards the back (if that makes sense). I know when I've gone back too far because I hear a squeak from my sneakers rubbing where the tread goes down. Then I run like heck back up to the rails. :)
  • nashiyashi
    Options
    lol I've almost fallen off one before! but only because I was reaching down to pick something up lol, so yeah don't do that XD I don't like treadmills though, I recommend the elliptical instead, it is more comfortable, easier to burn more calories, and there's pretty much no way to fall off! I like it so much I bought one, the only risk is I have been almost hit in the head with the moving handlebar thingies... while attempting to reach down and pick something up that fell again XD I need to just not do that haha