net calories?

Options
i've been a member here for quite a while, but never questioned the whole '1200 calories' thing.
I'm 5'2, 130-135lbs, 18 years old, female.
I used to have an eating disorder, and with that said, my brain keeps thinking that if I net negative calories, that's the only way I'll lose weight, and I know that's not the truth.
What's everyone's net calories at the end of the day like? And what are your stats? How much weight do you usually lose per week?
I just need some reassurance that eating 1200+ works for weight loss, and won't make me gain.

Replies

• glitterstreet
    Options
    Bump! I'm wondering the same thing...Eating 1500 calories when exercising to net 1200 calories seems like too much!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your net should be equal to your goal. You can't drive a car without gas - and you can't run your body without fuel.
  • NewDavenport
    NewDavenport Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    when i first started i was on 1200 calories a day, i never reached 1200 and i didn't eat back my exercise calories either and i lost 6 kilos so 13 lbs in 1 month then i started working everyday so i thought i would up my calorie intake and i started gaining when i went to 1430 calories a day so now i have dropped back to the 1200 calories a day.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    When I am working out consistently, I gross around 1800 cals to net around 1450 and I lose about .7lbs per week on average, which is actually a little more than I would like, to preserve my lean muscle mass.

Eating more to net your 1200 is actually a MINIMUM. You want to be eating as much as possible while still dropping weight, not seeing how low you can go.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I go by gross cals rather than net as it's simpler to manage. My TDEE is around 2700, so 2700 to maintain, below that to lose, and above that to gain.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    when i was losing before i got pregnant, i would net about 1800.
    im pregnant now and not trying to lose, but when the baby is born i plan on doing the tdee method and not worrying so much about net. according to my bodymedia fit, ive averaged about 2600 calories a day tdee for the last two months-ish, so ill probably eat about 2550 or so to account for breastfeeding (500 calories) and light activity - though ill probably change it once im cleared to exercise again.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    How long ago was your eating disorder? Did you regain weight once you discontinued netting negative numbers and began increasing at least up to 1200? Was 1200 the absolute highest you've consumed since those negative days? Typically, recovered persons will gain weight initially when they start increasing calories after restricting so severely for so long due to loss of lean body mass, weight lost, and reduction in Resting Metabolic Rate.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    when i first started i was on 1200 calories a day, i never reached 1200 and i didn't eat back my exercise calories either and i lost 6 kilos so 13 lbs in 1 month then i started working everyday so i thought i would up my calorie intake and i started gaining when i went to 1430 calories a day so now i have dropped back to the 1200 calories a day.

Fyi, it's not possible that you were gaining fat at 1430 if you were losing such significant amounts on 1200. I'd check your sodium before those weigh-ins. It was water weight.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i've been a member here for quite a while, but never questioned the whole '1200 calories' thing.
    I'm 5'2, 130-135lbs, 18 years old, female.
    I used to have an eating disorder, and with that said, my brain keeps thinking that if I net negative calories, that's the only way I'll lose weight, and I know that's not the truth.
    What's everyone's net calories at the end of the day like? And what are your stats? How much weight do you usually lose per week?
    I just need some reassurance that eating 1200+ works for weight loss, and won't make me gain.

Your calorie deficit is built into your calorie goal, and for someone with very little weight to lose, you would be best served by aiming to lose 1/2 pound per week. How much YOU should eat to lose will depend on your individual TDEE, but yes, you will lose on 1200+. My calorie goal is 1630, and I lose about a pound a week. That said, it can show up on the scale in cycles, so don't get discouraged if you don't show a loss every week. And be aware that sodium can mess with your progress showing up as it should, especially if it isn't balanced with around double in potassium. It sounds to me like you might be someone who'd be better off weighing only on occasion, and not very frequently at all. Best of luck to you.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I usually aim for about 1100 (can't remember what calculator gave me that number) then exercise 3-4 times a week (but I try for 5, but it usually don't happen) which burns 300-330 calories each time (via HRM). I don't like to eat the calories I burn back because I loath working out and I feel by eating it back (when I'm not hungry) throws out my hard work. I do eat it back sometimes however when I have something naughty for dinner (takeout).

I've been doing the above for awhile but looking at my reports I've lost about 5lbs in 3 months (i'm 5' and was at about 130lbs then and 125 now, note I lost weight before this but I wasn't using MFP then so no records). It's the most success I've had in the least amount of time I've even had.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    the best way to explain it is this..............................

If a person does not eat they will die.
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    my calorie goal is 1400. to maintain my weight it should be 1900. i have been loosing a pound a week eating at 1400. i decided a few weeks ago to go to 1200 and i stopped loosing weight and felt hungry, i put it back to 1400 what mfp recommended me to do and i am again loosing a pound a week no problem. 1200 calories did not work for me at all, which means i can eat more plus loose, which im loving lol
  • NewDavenport
    NewDavenport Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Fyi, it's not possible that you were gaining fat at 1430 if you were losing such significant amounts on 1200. I'd check your sodium before those weigh-ins. It was water weight.

hi i was unaware of that, can you please tell me how sodium effects your diet?
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

sodium retains water.....in very simple terms
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

It's not just sodium that affects water weight - you know when you first reduce your calories and get a bigger loss the first week, from loss of water weight? Well you get the same in reverse when you increase your calories.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/

at 1400 you did not eat over your maintenence calories, and so did not gain fat, it was just water weight, and it is just temporary.

How long did you give the increased calories before you cut back down again?