Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Options

Replies

• KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump.

This is the most interesting one I've found all day.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If Bob is eating Ben and Jerry's while watching The Biggest Loser, Bob is a woman

Are you suggesting that Bob might be a Karen? lol.

No, I prefer to eat my pints of B&J alone in the dark.

The only way to properly do it. :laugh:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You need to extend your timeframe to account for the entire day.

Except I'm not concerned with Bob's daytime intake. I'm not concerned with whether or not he's maintaining a deficit. Because that part is irrelevant to my question. Even if Bob is maintaining a deficit during the day, and by this I mean that his body is using stored energy while he's up and moving, or even sitting and typing. I'm talking about about the period of Bob's 24 hours when his body requires only the minimum to function. How are the extra kcal he's consumed before bed going to be used instead of stored? Bob may still be losing weight, but giving the body more kcal than it requires at any one time results in kcal storage. This is my argument.

Your title is "Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?" but when answered, you continue to argue about what happens to the food while you're sleeping. Why does it matter what happens to the food while you're sleeping if it doesn't "make you fat?" Make you fat =/= temporarily stored as fat.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    All I've seen is it may change affect HGH or other things that might make a difference for body re-composition, but not generic weight loss or weight gain.
  • slavonka23
    slavonka23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My biggest meal is dinner at 21-22h...and I still loose weight!

If you're in your calories limit, you can eat whenever you want!!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Because math.

This.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just did this. But here goes. To spell it out:

Consider this spreadsheet. It represents some fictional person who has a TDEE of 2120

The hour column represents the 24 hours in a day.

Hours 17 thru 24 are sleep, so he's burning only 65 cals per hour that hour. The rest of the hours he burns 100 cals per hour.

He has 3 meals over the course of the day for 500, 300, and 750 calories respectively/

You can see that over the course of the day, he at some points reaches a surplus, and at some points reaches a deficit.

DMjxo6x.png

On balance, he achieves a deficit of 570 calories for this day

I invite you to create a spreadsheet of your own and divvy up the meals however you like.

If you still don't get it after this overcomplicated explanation, then I'm sorry.

Edit: er, actually, the way I laid it out, he's in a deficit all day. But you get the point? No? Probably not? I don't care.

I can't believe you did that either.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Aside from some bio-chemical/medical issues, it really doesn't make much difference when you eat your calories. However, it probably isn't a good idea to eat a heavy meal before retiring because it is likely to contribute to reflux esophagitis (which many obese folks suffer). In addition, there is the problem of insulin spike (following a blood sugar surge from a heavy meal) suppressing human growth hormone (which is mainly secreted in the first couple of hours of sleep). Adequate levels of growth hormone are desirable for weight loss and other health points. Exercise does stimulate the secretion of growth hormone slightly, but it is unlikely to make up for the loss of nighttime secretion due to high caloric intake before bed.

Ghrelin (please, no gremlin pix) is a potent stimulator of growth hormone and ghrelin is high when we are hungry. So going to bed a little hungry is not a bad idea from a bio-chemical standpoint. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is also a potent stimulator of growth hormone--as opposed to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) which suppresses it. Since many, many obese folk have high blood sugar issues anyway, it is unwise for them to eat large meals before bed.

I know there will be people here who will say, "I have lost 114 pounds and I have always eaten nearly all my calories after 7.p.m." While that may be true, their bodies would have probably prospered a bit more by eating lightly in the evening (if at all).
  • emtbabe
    emtbabe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I do live by Jillian Micheals rules. She says NO food after 9 and no CARBS after 7. Your body will simply turn it into fat. Even sugary food. Her thing is to eat yogurt if you neeed a snack-greek low fat of course. It works! If I am watching Hell's Kitchen and have nothing to eat I get so pissed, so I eat yogurt or carrot/celery with hummus. Then I dont feel deprived. And no booze before bed. She has it down for 2 drinks a WEEK. And beer or a lowfat vodka drink. I suggest bubblegum vodka with club soda. Lowfat, tastes great and a nice mellow buzz. Does that kinda help? lol:smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I do live by Jillian Micheals rules. She says NO food after 9 and no CARBS after 7. Your body will simply turn it into fat. Even sugary food. Her thing is to eat yogurt if you neeed a snack-greek low fat of course. It works! If I am watching Hell's Kitchen and have nothing to eat I get so pissed, so I eat yogurt or carrot/celery with hummus. Then I dont feel deprived. And no booze before bed. She has it down for 2 drinks a WEEK. And beer or a lowfat vodka drink. I suggest bubblegum vodka with club soda. Lowfat, tastes great and a nice mellow buzz. Does that kinda help? lol:smile:

lolno
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If Bob has 28 doughnuts and he eats 16 before he goes to bed, what does he have remaining?

DIABETES...................

Dont do it...........eating for me, IMHO caused me to gain weight
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    This post is making my head hurt. I eat dinner every night between 8 or 9 pm.....most nights I'm sound asleep by 10. It's never hurt or hindered my progress eating a full meal before bed. I guess I'm a special snowflake!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Not at all.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    dinner...bad bad....
    a snack or small meal under 300 cal.. OK...

but i never eat a meal of any size after 6pm (except on rare event occasions of course) and i usually just do a snack size meal for dinner, if that.

dinner KILLS my weight loss... just kills it.

I am sorry but you should eat dinner, under eating is as serious of a problem as over eating.
    Dinner does not kill weight loss not eating enough has killed your metabolism and that kills weight loss.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    This post is making my head hurt. I eat dinner every night between 8 or 9 pm.....most nights I'm sound asleep by 10. It's never hurt or hindered my progress eating a full meal before bed. I guess I'm a special snowflake!

Remember: You're special and unique, just like everyone else.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I know Bob. He eats Pop Tarts every night before bed. Sometimes with ice cream. :heart:
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Aside from some bio-chemical/medical issues, it really doesn't make much difference when you eat your calories. However, it probably isn't a good idea to eat a heavy meal before retiring because it is likely to contribute to reflux esophagitis (which many obese folks suffer). In addition, there is the problem of insulin spike (following a blood sugar surge from a heavy meal) suppressing human growth hormone (which is mainly secreted in the first couple of hours of sleep). Adequate levels of growth hormone are desirable for weight loss and other health points. Exercise does stimulate the secretion of growth hormone slightly, but it is unlikely to make up for the loss of nighttime secretion due to high caloric intake before bed.

Ghrelin (please, no gremlin pix) is a potent stimulator of growth hormone and ghrelin is high when we are hungry. So going to bed a little hungry is not a bad idea from a bio-chemical standpoint. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is also a potent stimulator of growth hormone--as opposed to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) which suppresses it. Since many, many obese folk have high blood sugar issues anyway, it is unwise for them to eat large meals before bed.

I know there will be people here who will say, "I have lost 114 pounds and I have always eaten nearly all my calories after 7.p.m." While that may be true, their bodies would have probably prospered a bit more by eating lightly in the evening (if at all).

Science and logic. Thank you!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I know Bob. He eats Pop Tarts every night before bed. Sometimes with ice cream. :heart:

What is it with the Pop Tart fetish among some of the folk on this website?? Even when I was eating sugar and wheat, I thought they tasted like sweetened cardboard with sweetened plastic frosting. Ugh. :tongue:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

What is it with the Pop Tart fetish among some of the folk on this website?? Even when I was eating sugar and wheat, I thought they tasted like sweetened cardboard with sweetened plastic frosting. Ugh. :tongue:

:sad: