Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Here is a summary about the reality of night time eating from a bodybuilder with a PHd in Nutritional sciences.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman/

lolz - just noticed that the earlier article I posted was actually posted on the first page...derp.

Here is a review of the anabolic effects of GH from the British Journal of Sports Medicine for people concerned about GH being suppressed by eating at night.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/37/2/100.full

Did you cite the wrong article? I read the entire thing and it was basically just speaking to the issue of taking exogenous GH. No one here was advocating any artificial use of rhGH--so why go there? The article actually affirmed that the majority of our natural supply comes during sleep but nothing further was said about it. It did mention that exercise does stimulate natural GH production, but other research has revealed that nighttime secretion is still the most plenteous.

That was not the reason I posted it.

Then, would you like to reveal your purpose?

I though that my post explained that when I said:

"Here is a review of the anabolic effects of GH from the British Journal of Sports Medicine for people concerned about GH being suppressed by eating at night."

But the article did not speak to that.

Does not speak to what?

The issue of natural GH being suppressed by eating a lot before bed.

I never said it did
  • susan_skipper
    Options
    I never eat anything after I have finished my last meal which could be anywhere from 6:00 - 7:00 pm. I cant sleep very well going to bed on a full stomach, plus I love the feeling of waking up hungry. It makes sure I dont skip breakfast.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I snack every night around 8:30-9 PM. I go to bed at 10. I'm losing 2-4 pounds per week without fail and from measurements and educated guesses (since we all know BF% calculations outside of the fancy expensive ones aren't exact) my BF is going down.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Here is a summary about the reality of night time eating from a bodybuilder with a PHd in Nutritional sciences.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman/

lolz - just noticed that the earlier article I posted was actually posted on the first page...derp.

Here is a review of the anabolic effects of GH from the British Journal of Sports Medicine for people concerned about GH being suppressed by eating at night.

Did you cite the wrong article? I read the entire thing and it was basically just speaking to the issue of taking exogenous GH. No one here was advocating any artificial use of rhGH--so why go there? The article actually affirmed that the majority of our natural supply comes during sleep but nothing further was said about it. It did mention that exercise does stimulate natural GH production, but other research has revealed that nighttime secretion is still the most plenteous.

"Here is a review of the anabolic effects of GH from the British Journal of Sports Medicine for people concerned about GH being suppressed by eating at night."

Does not speak to what?

I never said it did

Then why did you mention it?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Why are all you people resorting to silliness? I think the OP was trying to track down a subject and the sarcastic tone is really juvenile and mistreating what is, to her, a serious subject. While I agree that the timing of eating is irrelevant to weight loss, there were other issues raised in addition to that one.

Erm, because the subject was well and truly discussed and a conclusion reached by the end of page 2 (i.e. calories in, calories out, time of day does not matter). But we were all having such a lovely time chatting we decided to continue with the thread. I really don't know why this would upset you.

If the OP disagrees then we will stop, but I haven't heard that she does.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    So, what about drinking soda? I'm trying to get my head around the science but wondering if the reason why I put on weight when drinking soda is because the gas bubbles makes all the food in my stomach sit at the top for hours and hours, rather than being digested? You seem to know your stuff and hope you can help me :smile:

It's ok, I know the science of weight loss can be confounding at times....although I have to say that you are very perceptive because you are right, having soda make *all* your food float to the top is as bad as having it all settling to the bottom...it just means you'll get a fat torso rather than a fat *kitten*.

So; there are two solutions for you:

1. Moderate your soda intake. Take a few sips, then a few bites of your food, then a few more sips so that everything is a bit more mixed up.
    2. Invest in my Gyronator 3000; proven to gently mix your food into small, non-fat making particles. This man lost 350lb with a healthy 'low density food diet' and 30 minutes a day on the Gyronator 3000 and he's never looked back!

188_gyro_shoot_009.jpg

You are now officially my new MFP hero :heart:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    craziest fact I've ever heard! I believe this is what you have heard or think but it's ridiculous. Your body has an ENTIRE different way of converting food into fat. And it's the calories that you don't burn off but just like you can't lose 2 pounds of fat in a day - you can't gain fat that fast either.

No, no. You see losing weight is not really about calories, it's about the density of the food you eat.

Ok....let me explain. We all take it as given that on a beach the heavy pebbles eventually sink to the bottom and lighter sand particles rise to the top, right? It's the same in our stomach! The dense, heavy food is more likely to sink to the bottom and turn into fat than the lighter, less dense food. So....pork belly - dense, more likely to settle unless you keep it on the move....popcorn, not very dense at all so less likely to settle quickly.

The more dense food you consume, the more you have to keep it moving (trampolining is the best form of exercise for keeping dense food from settling quickly!) and the less dense food you eat the less you need to jiggle it around to keep it from settling and becoming fat....so think crackers, popcorn, marshmallows and fish (fish float so they are naturally less dense...as is duck and other aquatic birds.)

Now there is one exception to the dense food rule and that is beans. Beans are dense little suckers however they produce lots of gas in the stomach and gas rises! So beans are actually good foods to eat. Now obviously I don't want to get too deeply into the science of this on here, but you can read more about it in my forthcoming nutritional book 'The Unbearable Lightness of Bean'

Bolded for the shear genius.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Why are all you people resorting to silliness? I think the OP was trying to track down a subject and the sarcastic tone is really juvenile and mistreating what is, to her, a serious subject. While I agree that the timing of eating is irrelevant to weight loss, there were other issues raised in addition to that one.

Erm, because the subject was well and truly discussed and a conclusion reached by the end of page 2 (i.e. calories in, calories out, time of day does not matter). But we were all having such a lovely time chatting we decided to continue with the thread. I really don't know why this would upset you.

If the OP disagrees then we will stop, but I haven't heard that she does.

It doesn't upset me, but I was concerned that she would feel that others were looking down on her.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    craziest fact I've ever heard! I believe this is what you have heard or think but it's ridiculous. Your body has an ENTIRE different way of converting food into fat. And it's the calories that you don't burn off but just like you can't lose 2 pounds of fat in a day - you can't gain fat that fast either.

No, no. You see losing weight is not really about calories, it's about the density of the food you eat.

Ok....let me explain. We all take it as given that on a beach the heavy pebbles eventually sink to the bottom and lighter sand particles rise to the top, right? It's the same in our stomach! The dense, heavy food is more likely to sink to the bottom and turn into fat than the lighter, less dense food. So....pork belly - dense, more likely to settle unless you keep it on the move....popcorn, not very dense at all so less likely to settle quickly.

The more dense food you consume, the more you have to keep it moving (trampolining is the best form of exercise for keeping dense food from settling quickly!) and the less dense food you eat the less you need to jiggle it around to keep it from settling and becoming fat....so think crackers, popcorn, marshmallows and fish (fish float so they are naturally less dense...as is duck and other aquatic birds.)

Now there is one exception to the dense food rule and that is beans. Beans are dense little suckers however they produce lots of gas in the stomach and gas rises! So beans are actually good foods to eat. Now obviously I don't want to get too deeply into the science of this on here, but you can read more about it in my forthcoming nutritional book 'The Unbearable Lightness of Bean'

I have nothing.

Can I pre pay for your book, pretty please?
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You need to extend your timeframe to account for the entire day.

Except I'm not concerned with Bob's daytime intake. I'm not concerned with whether or not he's maintaining a deficit. Because that part is irrelevant to my question. Even if Bob is maintaining a deficit during the day, and by this I mean that his body is using stored energy while he's up and moving, or even sitting and typing. I'm talking about about the period of Bob's 24 hours when his body requires only the minimum to function. How are the extra kcal he's consumed before bed going to be used instead of stored? Bob may still be losing weight, but giving the body more kcal than it requires at any one time results in kcal storage. This is my argument.

Then you're not concerned about Bob losing weight. Because those are the key, no, the ONLY relevant points as to if he will lose weight or not.

She answered her own question.
    :noway:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Does not speak to what?

I never said it did

I said why in my post
  • johnboy513
    Options

So your saying to buy food that says light....hahahahaha
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hmm well I always eat right up until I go to sleep! As you can see from my ticker, it hasn't stopped me :P

Me, too. And it hasn't stopped me, either.
  • johnboy513
    Options
    So, what about drinking soda? I'm trying to get my head around the science but wondering if the reason why I put on weight when drinking soda is because the gas bubbles makes all the food in my stomach sit at the top for hours and hours, rather than being digested? You seem to know your stuff and hope you can help me :smile:

It's ok, I know the science of weight loss can be confounding at times....although I have to say that you are very perceptive because you are right, having soda make *all* your food float to the top is as bad as having it all settling to the bottom...it just means you'll get a fat torso rather than a fat *kitten*.

So; there are two solutions for you:

1. Moderate your soda intake. Take a few sips, then a few bites of your food, then a few more sips so that everything is a bit more mixed up.
    2. Invest in my Gyronator 3000; proven to gently mix your food into small, non-fat making particles. This man lost 350lb with a healthy 'low density food diet' and 30 minutes a day on the Gyronator 3000 and he's never looked back!

188_gyro_shoot_009.jpg

Will this give me abs over night...... do you have a magic pill to go along with the Gyronator 3000... I been thinking about coming out with the Terminator 5000
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I have nothing.

Can I pre pay for your book, pretty please?

Paypal is accepted
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i munch all night before i go to bed. i get home from work later, eat dinner and a few snacks and go to bed shortly after. my bmi is in the 17s...

Looks like you play Twister too. I also played Twister back in the 60s. I was very thin then. Correlation?

first time i have played that game in years. and only once on st patricks. other than that no twister.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Does not speak to what?

I never said it did

I said why in my post

No, you didn't, but I'm unwilling to argue the point any further.
  • johnboy513
    Options
    The problem with eating late at night is that when you lay down all the food settles in whatever direction you're laying down and then sinks into your body as fat!! So lay on your back and all that food is going to turn into a fat *kitten*....lay on your side and your late night meal with settle into fat hips....lay on your front and you'll get a bigger belly.

Eating during the day whilst you're moving around means the food never has a chance to settle and become fat; instead it swiches around and gets broken down into smaller and smaller pieces as you move around until they're too small to even become fat...and then your body expels them.

FACT.

FACT.... No science needed... no bro science... its all right here... In black and white... no need to look into it any more. obesity is solved!!!
  • johnboy513
    Options
    Is there any science to support your claim?

Absolutely! It's pretty difficult science though.

nq23iv.jpg

what if you don't eat pork belly... is there a chicken belly or beef belly... is the science the same???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Does not speak to what?

I never said it did

I said why in my post

No, you didn't, but I'm unwilling to argue the point any further.

That is your opinion. Maybe you just did not read it the right way.