Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Main reason is its just a bad habit to form. Watch this and you'll get all the info on this you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsxJqpGmroA

*** WARNING the language in the video is a bit off color. Best to make sure the kiddies are not looking over your shoulder :wink:

The Hodge Twins?
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Here is a summary about the reality of night time eating from a bodybuilder with a PHd in Nutritional sciences.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman/
    very helpful. thank you!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    The problem with eating late at night is that when you lay down all the food settles in whatever direction you're laying down and then sinks into your body as fat!! So lay on your back and all that food is going to turn into a fat *kitten*....lay on your side and your late night meal with settle into fat hips....lay on your front and you'll get a bigger belly.

Eating during the day whilst you're moving around means the food never has a chance to settle and become fat; instead it swiches around and gets broken down into smaller and smaller pieces as you move around until they're too small to even become fat...and then your body expels them.

FACT.

HeadDesk2_zps49c498e1.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The problem with eating late at night is that when you lay down all the food settles in whatever direction you're laying down and then sinks into your body as fat!! So lay on your back and all that food is going to turn into a fat *kitten*....lay on your side and your late night meal with settle into fat hips....lay on your front and you'll get a bigger belly.

Eating during the day whilst you're moving around means the food never has a chance to settle and become fat; instead it swiches around and gets broken down into smaller and smaller pieces as you move around until they're too small to even become fat...and then your body expels them.

FACT.

craziest fact I've ever heard! I believe this is what you have heard or think but it's ridiculous. Your body has an ENTIRE different way of converting food into fat. And it's the calories that you don't burn off but just like you can't lose 2 pounds of fat in a day - you can't gain fat that fast either.

uh oh.....

sarcasmMeter-1266531711_zpse1b0a779.jpeg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

FACT.
    Awesome Poe. Well played! :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

FACT.
    :laugh: :laugh: It's gotta be true.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

dr-cox-you-re-wrong_o_GIFSoup.com.gif?1332098829
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I always eat right before sleeping. Full stomach puts me to sleep.

I don't eat right before bed, typically, but have done so now and again. And, man, does a nice bowl of oatmeal right before bed make me feel awesome! And, I sleep so soundly when I eat right before bed.

The scale, each week, doesn't seem to care when I take in my calories.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    craziest fact I've ever heard! I believe this is what you have heard or think but it's ridiculous. Your body has an ENTIRE different way of converting food into fat. And it's the calories that you don't burn off but just like you can't lose 2 pounds of fat in a day - you can't gain fat that fast either.

No, no. You see losing weight is not really about calories, it's about the density of the food you eat.

Ok....let me explain. We all take it as given that on a beach the heavy pebbles eventually sink to the bottom and lighter sand particles rise to the top, right? It's the same in our stomach! The dense, heavy food is more likely to sink to the bottom and turn into fat than the lighter, less dense food. So....pork belly - dense, more likely to settle unless you keep it on the move....popcorn, not very dense at all so less likely to settle quickly.

The more dense food you consume, the more you have to keep it moving (trampolining is the best form of exercise for keeping dense food from settling quickly!) and the less dense food you eat the less you need to jiggle it around to keep it from settling and becoming fat....so think crackers, popcorn, marshmallows and fish (fish float so they are naturally less dense...as is duck and other aquatic birds.)

Now there is one exception to the dense food rule and that is beans. Beans are dense little suckers however they produce lots of gas in the stomach and gas rises! So beans are actually good foods to eat. Now obviously I don't want to get too deeply into the science of this on here, but you can read more about it in my forthcoming nutritional book 'The Unbearable Lightness of Bean'
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

FACT.
    This may be the single funniest thing I've ever read on MFP. Well done! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No, no. You see losing weight is not really about calories, it's about the density of the food you eat.

Ok....let me explain. We all take it as given that on a beach the heavy pebbles eventually sink to the bottom and lighter sand particles rise to the top, right? It's the same in our stomach! The dense, heavy food is more likely to sink to the bottom and turn into fat than the lighter, less dense food. So....pork belly - dense, more likely to settle unless you keep it on the move....popcorn, not very dense at all so less likely to settle quickly.

The more dense food you consume, the more you have to keep it moving (trampolining is the best form of exercise for keeping dense food from settling quickly!) and the less dense food you eat the less you need to jiggle it around to keep it from settling and becoming fat....so think crackers, popcorn, marshmallows and fish (fish float so they are naturally less dense...as is duck and other aquatic birds.)

Now there is one exception to the dense food rule and that is beans. Beans are dense little suckers however they produce lots of gas in the stomach and gas rises! So beans are actually good foods to eat. Now obviously I don't want to get too deeply into the science of this on here, but you can read more about it in my forthcoming nutritional book 'The Unbearable Lightness of Bean'

Bolded for the shear genius.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    So let's say in a 24 hour period you burn 2200 calories.
    And let's say within that 24 hour period you eat 1700 calories (suppose you ate 700 of them in bed).

What is 2200 - 1700?

Yep.

How do people still not get this...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Bolded for the shear genius.

I have nothing.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Jumping up and down after a fatty meal also helps break the lumps of fat down so they pass through quickly.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

FACT.
    This may be the single funniest thing I've ever read on MFP. Well done! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am eating a salad as big as my head and sitting in a chair typing away on MFP - I hope the salad doesn't go to my *kitten*. :laugh: :sad: :laugh:
  • SRH7
    Options

So, what about drinking soda? I'm trying to get my head around the science but wondering if the reason why I put on weight when drinking soda is because the gas bubbles makes all the food in my stomach sit at the top for hours and hours, rather than being digested? You seem to know your stuff and hope you can help me :smile:
  • SRH7
    Options

FACT.

I am eating a salad as big as my head and sitting in a chair typing away on MFP - I hope the salad doesn't go to my *kitten*. :laugh: :sad: :laugh:

Oh, but I think you know the answer to that already. Lettuce while sitting down = big bottom. Just one of those sad facts of life.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love what this thread has become.
  • fayeonherway
    Options

You win the Internet! :flowerforyou:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Yes, there is the "floats on water" camp. According to them, health food consists of things like:
    bread
    apples
    very small rocks
    cider
    gravy
    cherries
    mud
    churches
    lead
    a duck

Personally I think this is total BS and I only eat things if you can build a bridge out of them.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    You need to extend your timeframe to account for the entire day.

This! ...is why it's calories over the course of the day that matter. I lost 45 pounds (now at GW) by eating 300 to 500 calories right before bed. I did this purposefully because if I was at all hungry I'd have trouble sleeping. A substantial snack was all I needed.

I think "don't eat X number of hours" before bed has traction because most people don't reduce their daytime eating to accommodate a night time snack. So, it does become extra calories. Also, some people have digestion issues that are triggered by eating too close to bed. It all depends on the person. It certainly worked for me!