Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    While eating before bed may not necessarily make you fat (I haven't just now, so I won't know for sure until later), it invites your health to an uphill battle for various reasons, some of which have already been posted to this thread. I for one, more often than not, would wake up in the middle of the night when having eaten before bed. After all, who wants a brick smack in one's belly, not to mention then? My habit of not eating for as many as four hours before bed comes from the stomach's tranquil feel of lightness at bedtime and that the body will burn fat throughout the entire night's sleep. The underlying mechanism is that you can't absorb food and burn fat at the same time. There's the absorption phase which takes place after a meal and for the next about four hours, and there's the post-absorption phase when the body starts to use stored nutrients. I would imagine the other twelve hour half of a twenty-four hour period lends itself far less easily to such uninterrupted fasting. So to those of you joining us this morning, dig in!

Bwahhaaaaaaaa!! :laugh:
  • bellyboosmom
    bellyboosmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I cannot speak for others bodies, but I know mine, and I have seen it time and time again in the past...but not this time...I eat nothing...after 8pm....nothing...tea if my water for the day is complete...and that's tea with nothing added....when I eat at night I gain anywhere from1 to 3 lbs...every time...every shhhtinkin time:) <just sayin s'all

how much does 16 oz of tea weigh?

^^this truly made me LOL
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The problem with eating late at night is that when you lay down all the food settles in whatever direction you're laying down and then sinks into your body as fat!! So lay on your back and all that food is going to turn into a fat *kitten*....lay on your side and your late night meal with settle into fat hips....lay on your front and you'll get a bigger belly.

Eating during the day whilst you're moving around means the food never has a chance to settle and become fat; instead it swiches around and gets broken down into smaller and smaller pieces as you move around until they're too small to even become fat...and then your body expels them.

FACT.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The problem with eating late at night is that when you lay down all the food settles in whatever direction you're laying down and then sinks into your body as fat!! So lay on your back and all that food is going to turn into a fat *kitten*....lay on your side and your late night meal with settle into fat hips....lay on your front and you'll get a bigger belly.

Eating during the day whilst you're moving around means the food never has a chance to settle and become fat; instead it swiches around and gets broken down into smaller and smaller pieces as you move around until they're too small to even become fat...and then your body expels them.

FACT.

:laugh:
  • mozingoashley
    Options
    yes it is don't eat after u go bed I have done that let me tell you I pay for it the next day I see 1 to 2 lbs weight gain no good

this is because the food hasn't had a chance to "leave" the body and you have fluids in your stomach. The EATING did not cause you to gain weight.
  • fayeonherway
    Options

FACT.

I'm standing here in TEARS!!!!!!!!! Dying of laughter. THANK YOU. You made my morning! :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • mozingoashley
    Options

FACT.

craziest fact I've ever heard! I believe this is what you have heard or think but it's ridiculous. Your body has an ENTIRE different way of converting food into fat. And it's the calories that you don't burn off but just like you can't lose 2 pounds of fat in a day - you can't gain fat that fast either.
  • mozingoashley
    Options
    I cannot speak for others bodies, but I know mine, and I have seen it time and time again in the past...but not this time...I eat nothing...after 8pm....nothing...tea if my water for the day is complete...and that's tea with nothing added....when I eat at night I gain anywhere from1 to 3 lbs...every time...every shhhtinkin time:) <just sayin s'all

how much does 16 oz of tea weigh?

^^this truly made me LOL

and food? food weighs a lot and that's why.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

FACT.

This is awesome.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options

FACT.
    :laugh: :laugh: It's gotta be true.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kmw6886
    kmw6886 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The point is, do what works for you!
    Last night, I weighed myself when I got home from work and the gym.
    Before bed, about 10pm, I ate one string cheese, and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, and 2 slices of turkey breast.
    This morning I weighed almost 2# more!
    Even with this late night snack, I ate at a deficit during the day, so explain that!
    I did this in response to reading similar posts about it doesn't matter what time you eat, especially eating while at a deficit.
    Well, this is proof to me that I will not eat after 8pm if at all possible if I am to expect to lose weight.
    There is MY scientific proof!
  • KittenTikka
    Options

FACT.

Good to know! In fact, I might try eating lots and lots before bed-time then sleeping on my head to see if it improves my brain-size :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

FACT.

Thanks! Guess I'm laying on my boobs somehow if I can manage it!
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    its pointless for you to eat before bed because all you eat is stored.
    why would you eat before bed anyway? dont you feel bloated?
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

FACT.

Clapping_zps00af8d6e.gif
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Aside from some bio-chemical/medical issues, it really doesn't make much difference when you eat your calories. However, it probably isn't a good idea to eat a heavy meal before retiring because it is likely to contribute to reflux esophagitis (which many obese folks suffer). In addition, there is the problem of insulin spike (following a blood sugar surge from a heavy meal) suppressing human growth hormone (which is mainly secreted in the first couple of hours of sleep). Adequate levels of growth hormone are desirable for weight loss and other health points. Exercise does stimulate the secretion of growth hormone slightly, but it is unlikely to make up for the loss of nighttime secretion due to high caloric intake before bed.

Ghrelin (please, no gremlin pix) is a potent stimulator of growth hormone and ghrelin is high when we are hungry. So going to bed a little hungry is not a bad idea from a bio-chemical standpoint. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is also a potent stimulator of growth hormone--as opposed to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) which suppresses it. Since many, many obese folk have high blood sugar issues anyway, it is unwise for them to eat large meals before bed.

I know there will be people here who will say, "I have lost 114 pounds and I have always eaten nearly all my calories after 7.p.m." While that may be true, their bodies would have probably prospered a bit more by eating lightly in the evening (if at all).

i thank every day for people as educated as you :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

plus cant forget the cortisol ;) synergism!
  • TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    Main reason is its just a bad habit to form. Watch this and you'll get all the info on this you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsxJqpGmroA

*** WARNING the language in the video is a bit off color. Best to make sure the kiddies are not looking over your shoulder :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    its pointless for you to eat before bed because all you eat is stored.
    why would you eat before bed anyway? dont you feel bloated?

No it is not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

FACT.

Thanks! Guess I'm laying on my boobs somehow if I can manage it!

Sorry, I am not buying it...I sleep on my stomach and all my fat is in my *kitten*!
  • valey1234
    valey1234 Posts: 29
    Options
    Most people in this program are only interested in counting calories and losing weight. Yes it is important to track your calories but so is your health. eating heavy foods late at night can cause acid reflux and also heart problems. I Know some people work all kinds of late hours I was one of them and now I am paying for it I have errosion of my esophoges. Try eating a later lunch bring some healthy snacks with you so you can eat them on your break and eat light at night. remember your more than just a body your a whole person good luck valey1234