Will I ever be able to run 5k?!?

Options

Replies

• KathyMarie1970
    KathyMarie1970 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!! I started C25K at 275 pounds last March and I ran my first 5K at the end of May. Now I'm training for a half marathon next month and I'm still over 200 pounds. It gets easier. I thought I was going to DIE that first month. Just don't give up. I ran 9 miles today! If you would have told me last year that I would ever be able to run 9 miles I would of laughed at you!
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    You can do it. I'm not > 200lbs but everyone starts somewhere. I just wanted to say make sure and get some good (recommended by the running store) shoes. Save your shins and stretch your shins.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    you will do it. I ran my first one and i was 220 pounds then when I did my first one. I finished with a time of 47:40

you can do this . I was 2 pounds heavier than you were and I did it and made it to the finish and so will you.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am at 216 lbs and doing the couch to 5k ap. I am in week 6 and I am not going to lie it's a *****. It's a struggle to push through but I am determined to see it through to the end. I may never run again or may run but I want to say that I did it. In the beginning, I didn't devote 3 times a week to it but when I noticed the runs getting longer.. I rearranged my other workouts to make it fit three times a week. My advice to you would to just do it.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    YES...YES...YES! I was well over 300 when I ran my first one last May. I began running in January 2012 and literally could not run 1/2 a mile. I am down to 245 and just finished my first half marathon. I have a bad knee, herniated discs in my neck and back and a bad ankle. It hurts like hell, but I promise when you do it, the joy is well worth it!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! I've been there. In my opinion, 90% of it is mental and 10% is fitness. Granted, that 10% fitness is huge, but if you tell yourself you can push further each time, you can! Keep up the good work!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Register, run the 5K or walk, just get there. Personally, I walk a 5k. Haven't since last fall, and I have been training. Anxious to see what my times will be now. Have four lined up for next month and just one, the Berkshire Invest in Yourself in May.(this is the first one and I really wanted to participate).

I am concerned about your shin splints. Try training on a flat run for a bit. Warm up, run, cool down. Then STRETCH!!!! I cannot repeat that enough.

If you are in the Omaha area, feel free to message me.

Question to the group, what do I do with all of the shirts I am collecting?
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't think weight is what really stops a person. I was fairly skinny but still with the mind of a fatty. I was about 120 pounds and I just couldn't run lol. I could walk faster than I could run... So I really think it's just about practice and technique... and mind set.
  • digressions
    digressions Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!! I was about 220 lbs (now about 181) and bored with my gym routine when I first decided to give running a go. HA! I made it about 30 seconds before I was out of breath and felt like I was going to die! That was only 8 months ago. I kept plugging away at it. I didn't *exactly* do a C5K program, but just ran as far as I could until I had to walk, then repeat. I used mapmyrun.com to figure out a 5k route in my neighbourhood.

I ran my first official race on New Years Day 2013 (in -10 temp with snow!) and finished in 36:30. While that is by no means a fast time, I was not even close to finishing "last" and wouldn't have cared even if I was! The overwhelming feeling of crossing that finish line was one of the best feelings of my life.

Advice - if you are getting tired, try slowing your pace before just giving up and walking. You'd be surprised how quickly you can recover by just slowing down a little bit! Also, don't let the mere *sight* of a steep uphill stretch stop you! Look at the ground, take it slow and steady. Keep your strike soft and invest in good shoes - you don't want to hurt yourself. Most importantly - You GOT this!

Also, it's true - running really does help melt off the pounds. My weight loss had slowed considerably, until I started running. Another 40 pounds practically fell right off!

Good luck - you can do it!!!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I started at 225 and really had to take my time don't push it, pain doesn't mean always mean gain, go at your own pace and you'll get there. I have recently hit one of my goals to run under 10 minute miles and my 5k time is now less than 30 mins. Runkeeper is my app of choice and proper running shoes were a god send to get ride of aches pains and shin splints.
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 years old and started running at 50 while 220 lbs. The first time I ran it was downhill and I made it about 700 yards before I had to stop and walk. Took me quite a while to run 5k, and a lot of sore feet, knees, hips etc. But I made a 5k within 5 months, couldn't tell you the time because all I cared about was finishing. Now I run 3 miles at lunch time in 30 minutes about 3 times a week.
    April 28th I am running the Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon, dont really care about the time, just want to finish.

You are no different to me and you can do it too.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am with the people who have never weighed 200+... However, as everyone is saying-- your shoes are your most important piece of equipment. I started the couch to 5k totally out of shape... couldnt run the first week ( I loathed my 2 year old sons jogging stroller), but got through it eventually...
    You will totally be able to do a race in july! If you are walking/running, you will be passing people... I am by no means a fast runner (I'm just slow), but I still pass the walkers! You can do this!
    I also want to give you a suggestion, if you havent already tried it... I know a very well endowed lady who resorted to wearing 2 sports bras for adequate support when she first started running.
    Best of luck! You will have to let everyone know how you do on your race in July!
  • blaquediamon
    Options
    Now tell me again why you would not be able to run a 5k? Because you are 218 pounds! Well you CAN run a 5k and finish. YOU CAN FO IT!! I ran 10 miles with very little train and my goal was to finish it not place. Once you get comfortable set another goal; but your first go is to finish. GOOD LUCK!
  • brboydjr
    brboydjr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can do it just keep moving. Ice those shins and you'll feel like a million bucks.
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    At the end of January I was struggling to do the minute runs of the first week of C25K, I don't quite stick to the program but today I ran 1.3 miles without stopping (and 2.2 miles overall) - it's not 5K (yet!) but I'm AMAZED. And I'm about 215lbs - you can DEFINITELY do this :)
  • kyakrbetsy2
    Options
    I am 58 years old and although Ive lost 40 lbs I weigh just about the same as you do. I am running my first 5K tomorrow morning. If I can do it ANYONE can.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a story about a 400 pound person who completed a marathon!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/21/kelly-gneiting-heaviest-man-marathon_n_838599.html

Keep working hard and you can complete a 5k (or any distance you desire). There is nothing wrong with repeating weeks as many times as needed. Congratulations on your hard work and staying motivated. You can do it!

I am pretty heavy compared to the typical runner at 218lbs but nevertheless, I've started a C25K program and I'm going to work through the weeks at my own pace. I usually run (I use that term very loosely) every other day and am repeating week 1... yup... week ONE lol My interior dialogue goes something like this: Just make it to that poll, hold your boobs down, did that ***** say walk yet?! It's pretty demoralizing sometimes LOL

My shins often hurt and I'm not the most graceful thing you've ever seen but I AM determined, so I have that going for me. I guess I just want to hear from other folks who were over 200# and have had success. Would it be reasonable to register for a race mid July? I'm pretty nervous as that doesn't seem like a lot of time, but I would like to have a goal!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    If I can do it you can do it. I started my weight loss journey at 220. I never intended to be a runner but I am now and I love it. I have lost count of how many races i have done but I think it is 16 in just over a year. If you have a goal shoot for it! You can do it!!!
  • Xeyro
    Xeyro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weighed 270 as of this morning, and as of this afternoon, I completed week 7 of C25K. You can do it for sure!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Mid-July sounds like a great goal. After about six weeks of running consistently everyday you will see a huge difference in your fitness. Keep getting to the next pole, the next pole, and the next one, and soon you'll be flying right all of them.