Healthy substitutes

Options
scadgirl20
scadgirl20 Posts: 134 Member
There are tons of different foods you can substitute for the unhealthy ones. Please share some you know about. It would be nice if we could all have a variety to use. Any kind of cooking tricks are welcomed. Mine are listed below.

1. Cauliflower instead of potatoes for mashed potatoes
2. Spaghetti squash instead of noodles
3. Fat free zesty or regular fat free Italian dressing for seasoning on grilled chicken & veggies

Replies

• NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I love mashing an avacado up with my tuna or chicken salad instead of mayo. It tastes so good!!!
  • dacadoo
    dacadoo Posts: 32
    Options
    Oh I never thought of doing this! yummy I love avocado.
    Thanks can't wait to try
  • Saucytee
    Saucytee Posts: 31
    Options
    I am trying not to use salt because of blood pressure issues. Do you have any suggestions? I am trying to use Mrs. Dash, but it is still lacking.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Oh I never thought of doing this! yummy I love avocado.
    Thanks can't wait to try

Oh you will love it!!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I am trying not to use salt because of blood pressure issues. Do you have any suggestions? I am trying to use Mrs. Dash, but it is still lacking.

Squeeze some lemon on things??
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

-Use more herbs like oregano, basil, rosemary, etc.
    -Don't add extra salt if a recipe uses salty products already (soy sauce, chicken stock, salsa, etc).
    -Salt at the end of the recipe. You won't need as much because the flavor won't be lost in cooking.
    -Biggest thing is to gradually cut back. Take it slow so you won't be miserable and be tempted to add more salt back into your diet. The less you use over time, the bigger the impact it will have. Stick with it and you will be surprised how overly salty some foods are! My throat and mouth burn now if there is too much salt - not enjoyable!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I swap out fat free greek yogurt for sour cream in recipes and as a topper. My ultimate substitute though is seltzer water for sugary drinks. I drink it plain or with a lime wedge or a splash of cranberry juice. The bubbles hit the spot every time!!
  • MsMusicGA
    Options
    Try Morton's Lite Salt if you must have some. It's far less sodium. Remember to write the date on your salt box when you open it. That way you have a reference point when your doc ask about your salt intake. I reduced my salt to 1/2 tsp/day and that seems to be more than I enjoy. I've never been a big on adding salt to the food prepared at home. Also, I use lots of herbs to season meats, salads, and just about anything we eat. The herbs have natural sodium in them and are much better on the bp.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    tzaziki in chicken salad instead of mayo! just started doing this and i love it!
  • brarymama
    Options
    Use fat free salsas instead of salad dressing
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i switched from deep dish sausage pizza to thin crust pepperoni pizza. saves me 120 cals per slice and almost 1000 cals when i eat an entire pizza
  • The_Transforming_Journey
    Options
    Use pumpkin instead of eggs & oil when baking :smile:
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Use pumpkin instead of eggs & oil when baking :smile:

Really?!?! But does it make the recipe taste like pumpkin??
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I use peanut butter with oil separation in my sandwiches. Its the best! Can eat it by the spoonful.

I choose craft full flavor beers instead of bud or miller or coors. I just need 2 or 3 beers instead of 6 - 8.

I choose onions and bacon on my hamburgers, instead of cheese.
  • NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    applesauce instead of oil when baking.
  • Saucytee
    Saucytee Posts: 31
    Options
    I guess it was just the abrupt no salt. I never add salt at the table but I did cook with it. Thank you for all of the great suggestions! Bon Appetit!
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Have you tried the various "flavors" of Mrs. Dash in addition to their "table blend"? They have Garlic and Herb (good on eggs), Chipotle Chili, Extra Hot and Spicy, Carribean Lime, etc etc... but the absolute BEST one is the Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper. Great on veggies, grilled chicken, seafood, just about anything that would benefit from the flavor of lemon juice. garlic and herbs.

I truly couldn't live without my Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    lowry's seasoned salt is delicious. salt isn't really all that bad in moderation. you can buy healthier salts too, like sea salt or tibetan pink salt.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I love tacos and I can eat them all the time. I will show you the swap I use!

Fat-Free Sour Cream instead of Full Fat.
    Reduced Fat Cheese instead of Full Fat.
    Fresh Homemade Salsa instead of the jarred stuff.
    Whole Wheat Tortillas or Lettuce Leaves instead of white tortillas.
    Ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef.

Animo Acid/Low-Sodium Soy Sauce instead of regular soy sauce.
    Reduced Fat Peanut Butter instead of regular.
    Agave Nectar or Honey instead of sugar/sweetener.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter instead of Nutella