What do Brussels Sprouts taste like?

Options
I'm thinking about giving brussels sprouts a try, I've seen tons of recipe ideas on MFP, but can some describe what they actually taste like? Would you compare it to the taste of cabbage maybe? Thanks!!

Replies

• zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think they taste like cabbage. I'm not a huge fan but I don't mind them roasted.
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I might get a couple from the store tomorrow and give them a try. My arsenal of vegetables is getting very boring and I'm ready to try something new. I do like cabbage, but raw, so I guess the only way to know is to try it!!
  • rluedtke
    rluedtke Posts: 32
    Options
    They taste a little sweeter than cabbage. I absolutely love them roasted or stir fried in ginger, garlic and soy. I also cut them in half before cooking them It might be a mental thing, but they taste better that way. I also don't cook them until their mushy, I keep them a little al dente as the flavor is slightly better.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    They taste a little sweeter than cabbage. I absolutely love them roasted or stir fried in ginger, garlic and soy. I also cut them in half before cooking them It might be a mental thing, but they taste better that way. I also don't cook them until their mushy, I keep them a little al dente as the flavor is slightly better.

Agree -- and avoid frozen, they don't taste as good and they get mushy. you can also roast them in just some olive oil, or steam them.
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Ohhh, that does sound good!!
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Like sprouts....from Brussels. >_>
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    They have a taste of their own... I know that's not a very good answer, but I was "afraid" of Brussels sprouts for a long time and then one day I just tried them. They came with a butter sauce. They were delicious! I love them now.

Just don't overcook them! When they're overcooked, they lose the really good flavor and become bitter.
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I steam the frozen ones with bacon bits, I like them a little softer, I love them but kinda forget about buying them, :)
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I steam the frozen ones with bacon bits, I like them a little softer, I love them but kinda forget about buying them, :)

forget bacon bits...cook a few strips of bacon in the pan and then put the sprouts in with the bacon and bacon grease, add a little garlic...YUMMMMMMMMY!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I've just started eating them recently. I don't love them yet. But they're very good. They have taste that belongs in the broccoli/cauliflower family. I just steam them in the microwave for 3 minutes, add 1/2 teaspoon of margerine, a drizzle of lemon juice, and some salt.

They do things to my digestion that broccoli and cauliflower don't do. So I'm not having them more than once a week, at this point.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I think they taste just like bacon. When they're wrapped in bacon, of course, which is the only way I can tolerate them.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Agree -- and avoid frozen, they don't taste as good and they get mushy. you can also roast them in just some olive oil, or steam them.

I found that frozen worked better when roasting them in the oven with olive oil, but fresh did better wrapped in a foil pouch on the grill.
  • honey_dew
    honey_dew Posts: 28
    Options
    Amazing-ness! I love them! They are so yummy. They kinda remind me of broccoli.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Once you develope a taste for them they are absolutely addictive and so nutritious. I roast them with olive oil and garlic.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I always found them a bit too bitter for my tastes and I love Cabbage. I find I can reduce the bitterness by quartering them and then cutting the "core" out as well. Super easy to do when they are quartered.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Heaven

oh, you want more info? They taste like powerful little cabbages.

If it's "your first time" Try Emerril's brussels, bacon and cheese recipe.
    But parboil them first.
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage but hate brussels sprouts. I'm pretty open to all veggies, but I just couldn't get past them. I would still give them a shot though, you may love them.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    They taste like cabbage or lettuce. They don't have a strong flavor - they basically taste like whatever you cook them with. The trick is to get them soft without making them mushy. If they are prepared well they are absolutely delicious!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Think of what it would taste like if broccoli and cabbage had a baby. They become sweeter when roasted and pair well with bacon, almonds and cranberries. I have also roasted them with watermelon radishes for color (radishes taste like cabbage when roasted. If you are looking to make them just think of any salty sweet element and it will probably pair well with them.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Get fresh ones, if you can. They taste almost sweet. Frozen ones taste bitter to me. You can get a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts on any foodie site that won't be high calorie. They're good.