What do Brussels Sprouts taste like?

Options

Replies

• krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like them with a little butter, salt, and pepper. I always end up making them too soggy, though, so I only eat them when I visit my mom because she can cook them right.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    They taste like farts smell. There I said it!!! Lol.
  • magiccat32
    Options
    I LOVE them!! I don't taste broccoli in them though. To me, raw, they taste like cabbage with a slight radish like bite. Really good in salads or by themselves with salad dressing. As far as cooked, I don't like them steamed or even sauteed and never ever boil them, only roasted. They get very mild and lose all cabbage and radish qualities and just get very nutty and a little sweet. Maybe a little like roasted cauliflower which they pair great with. They are awesome with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper. But also delicious with salty and sweet, like maple, balsamic, dijon, nuts, pancetta or bacon (although you put maple and bacon in anything and its gonna be yummy). Only buy fresh, NEVER frozen. That said, I've tried to get my sweety to like them with both overt and sneaky methods and he is just not into it, so i guess it is all a matter of taste. Give it try and see what you think. K, got some in fridge and they are calling my name now. YUM
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    They are delicious roasted...kinda sweetens them up. They are cabbage like, but I love them.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Imagine if mustard gas and cow farts had a baby.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    They have a taste of their own, but I like them with just a little salt.

Yea i'm boring.

Edit: Chicken Seasoning..there's an idea.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    spongebob-imagination-o.gif
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Love sprouts, eat them steamed with salt myself, never added anything to the other than cranberry sauce at Xmas. Quite high in calories for a vegetable though.
  • waggs613
    waggs613 Posts: 1
    Options
    They are SO good- I cook them all the time. Always fresh, never frozen, I toss them in a little bit of olive oil w/ garlic and roast :)
  • smarttart19
    smarttart19 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Ha ha my OH reckons they're like a fart in your mouth - I've never asked him how he would know that !!!

I reckon they taste like .... sprouts :smile:

But whatever you do, do not cook them like my Mum cooks them, she puts them on to simmer about 3 hours before you sit down to dinner and you almost have to drink them :sick:
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    They have a taste of their own... I know that's not a very good answer, but I was "afraid" of Brussels sprouts for a long time and then one day I just tried them. They came with a butter sauce. They were delicious! I love them now.

Just don't overcook them! When they're overcooked, they lose the really good flavor and become bitter.

This! They need to be bright green to be yummy. One easy way to test is to microwave just 30 sec at a time and try it out to learn what tastes good and how fast it goes nasty.
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options

Agreed when cooked to be that swampy green. Leave them bright green, add some spices like recommended here, and yum!
  • staceyw73
    staceyw73 Posts: 49
    Options
    are a mild cabbage. here is one of my fav. recieps http://www.marthastewart.com/953631/brussels-sprout-apple-and-bacon-hash
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    LMBO at some of the comments! But yeah as others have said they taste like cabbage :smile:
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options

^^This. LOL I've never been able to eat them. I just can't get past the smell, the taste, the texture. Reading all these replies, I might have to give them a shot roasting them, but.. ugh, idk.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sliced thin and sauted in butter and olive oil with fresh garlic. Even my kids will eat them-and ask for seconds. Also yummy with toasted slivered almonds when I roast them.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    They're delicious.
    I cut them in half lengthways, steam them til just softened, pat them dry and fry them in a little olive oil til they're nice & brown on the edges.
    Then I put flaked rock salt, lemon juice & balsamic drizzle on them.
    Yummo
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    dirt
  • MoreLikeMe43
    MoreLikeMe43 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ok, my mother HATED them, so I never had them as a child. As an adult, I tried frozen, and I quite liked them. But when I started MFP (March 4) I found a recipe on ChefMD for Sauteed Brussels Sprouts, and I made them tonight...for the THIRD time. They are SO yummy! Here is the link: http://www.chefmd.com/recipe_display.php?id=48 (Very similar, I think, to what karenhray7 posted.)

Also, mom tried them, and she didn't LOVE them like I do...but she was surprised to like them. :D
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I sautee them in olive oil, chicken stock, white wine, and garlic. Favorite way to eat them