Why do you like yoga?

Options
I currently work out three days a week doing an hour of BodyStep followed by an hour of BodyPump.

How would yoga benefit me? Core strength? Flexibility? What else?

Sell it to me! :smile:

Replies

• baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    relaxation..aww lower stress
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    relaxation..aww lower stress

Bonus after a stressful shift at work!
    Does it help you sleep better at night?
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start to hurt in my hips, back, heel or legs I do yoga and I feel so much better the next day. I don't enjoy yoga that much, however, so I end up using it like Tylenol when I should really use it like floss. :ohwell:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Whenever I start to hurt in my hips, back, heel or legs I do yoga and I feel so much better the next day. I don't enjoy yoga that much, however, so I end up using it like Tylenol when I should really use it like floss. :ohwell:

Ha! :bigsmile:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Anyone else??
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I do 5 hours of yoga a week. I like it because it's giving me killer abs and it makes me feel strong and flexible.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I hate pure yoga. To me it is insanely boring...which I guess others call "relaxing."

I do a class called PiYo which is a blend of pilates and yoga in a highly intense cardio setting. I get the benefits of yoga that I want such as flexibility, balance, and endurance without the boredom that I personally feel from yoga.
  • AmazingRed
    AmazingRed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a yoga junky. I definitely feel like it connects me with my body. I leave class feeling more flexible, more aware of my strength and feeling totally empowered. It's one of the few exercises that every time I do it I feel like I've improved.
    If you're just starting out I suggest you try a few different kinds. Vinyasa classes involve more movement and tend to be less boring for the more active types. Good luck!
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I enjoy ashtanga yoga. It focuses on building core strength, upper body strength, and flexibility. I also think all teachers of yoga are not created equal. You need a good one.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I am shocked that no one has replied with:

'The pants'.

More seriously...I've been wanting to get into yoga as a form of stretching...but never have.

I really should work on that :l.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i do bikram yoga. it's 90min each session and i go at least 3x a week and try for 4.

it's extremely challenging. i love that each time i go, i get a little better at the postures. a month ago, i couldn't do any of the standing series. now i can hold them for a couple seconds. concentrate. meditate.

right afterward, i enjoy a really nice yoga high, then the next day i feel like magic. it centers me, makes me remember that there's little i can't do if i keep at it, and makes me sweat out all the nasty energy of the day.

i'm so hooked.

eta: i also hoopdance, so the yoga helps keep me limber to work with my hoop. i do regular stretching yoga in the morning almost every day. i bicycle commute about 12mi /day, 4-5 days a week. the yoga also helps me balance better on my bike and keeps me more alert.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    core strength, flexibility, strength, balance, calmness of mind. I would recommend some type of flow/vinyasa yoga class to start. They have a lot of movement and aren't as challenging as if you were to go into the backbending/core based/crazy balance poses.

doyogawithme.com- multi level morning flow. Try it out.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to incorporate yoga into the end of a good workout. Or, if I have time, I do it in the morning before I go to work. It helps me feel a little more centered and lowers my stress level, I think. And, when I do it after a workout, it helps to loosen me up and stretch out after working hard.
  • niaworkstrong
    Options
    Yoga works for me because of the portability of the process. . . Have yoga mat . . .will stretch. I get strength (core and general muscle strength), flexibility, a sense of calm AND I sleep much better on a day when I do yoga.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    yoga pants
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It's relaxing.
    I have a back problem that flares up way less often if I do daily yoga.
    It makes me flexible.
  • CandieVH
    CandieVH Posts: 10
    Options
    I do Vinyasa Yoga twice a week. I feel like it is a calm workout but still extremely challenging. I like the flow of Vinyasa and I can really focus on what I am doing and let life go for an hour.

Also and maybe more important I want to be able to do an amazing yoga pose in front of the Castle at WDW to celebrate how far I have come, I know that's extremely specific lol. Honestly Yoga just makes me feel fit.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    yoga pants

Dun dun duuunnnnn!
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    I try to do it a couple times a week (in addition to whatever program I'm doing... beachbody junkie). I really like power yoga and hot yoga/yoga fusion. I love the challenge of getting better and improving my flexibility. Just last week I was able to get in 8 angle pose. I'm looking forward to doing the next challenging pose.

The heat is very relaxing and I enjoy the challenge. I wish I could say it was so I could meditate and reflect on my inner self, but I'm a super competitive person and must outdo myself every week.

There are many different types of yoga and you have to figure out what works for you. Its power/ashtanga yoga for me, but everyone has different goals and preferences.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i want to like it too, but it's just not happening.