Why do you like yoga?

Options

Replies

• Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    flexibility, improves lots of stuff IF YOU KNOW WAT I MEAN cos it idid wonders for my balance and flexibility and ashtanga is a form of full body active meditation so I feel less obliged to go postal on people :3

Was also only avalible form of semi active excercise when i was 260 lbs, and got tired and asphixating almost if i had to walk 200 meters :)
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,167 Member
    Options
    I do yoga to improve my flexibility and stretch. I've also improved my balance and strength. An unexpected bonus was the reduction in blood pressure. I was in the higher end of normal BP before I started doing yoga and now I'm in the lower end of normal. Not dramatic but every little bit helps!

Did I mention yoga pants?:wink:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    So...

I need to wear a certain type of pants...? :huh:
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    So...

Sometimes I wear basketball shorts. Sometimes yoga pants, but I sweat a LOT and shorts are more comfy to me. I just want them long enough not to show my rear to the people behind me.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that strength & flexibility can have an adverse relationship... so basically yoga can give you that flexibility training to help balance out the strength training you're doing. Personally I love it because it relaxes me and puts me in a good mood... and I just plain enjoy it. It's a simple answer, but honest.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    So...

Sometimes I wear basketball shorts. Sometimes yoga pants, but I sweat a LOT and shorts are more comfy to me. I just want them long enough not to show my rear to the people behind me.

No butt shots! :happy:
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,167 Member
    Options
    You don't have to wear yoga pants but I'm told they're very comfortable, being stretchy and skin-tight.

In the majority of classes that I've attended, the "Lady to Gent" ration is about 10 to 1. Although yoga isn't necessarily a good weight-loss activity (I've heard arguments from both sides on this), there does seem to be a fairly high number of slimmer people in yoga... wearing pants that are basically thick spandex... posing...

Can you see where I'm going with this?
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    all of the things other said, but I wanted to add that yoga really does make your other exercise much better.

I returned to dong yoga recently after many years. I knew it would provide strength and flexibility and additional toning, but what surprised me (and probably shouldn't have) was that my regular aerobic and body sculpting/toning is so much better. SO MUCH. For example, I don't know about you, but it usually takes me nearly 20 sit-ups before I really start feeling it deep and in my lower abs. Since adding yoga 2 or 3 times a week, my body is stronger, my form is better so close to every sit-up is a good one.

I really think adding yoga to your fitness routine will make everything else you do to strengthen your body much better.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    You don't have to wear yoga pants but I'm told they're very comfortable, being stretchy and skin-tight.

In the majority of classes that I've attended, the "Lady to Gent" ration is about 10 to 1. Although yoga isn't necessarily a good weight-loss activity (I've heard arguments from both sides on this), there does seem to be a fairly high number of slimmer people in yoga... wearing pants that are basically thick spandex... posing...

Can you see where I'm going with this?

What?
    I won't lose weight? :noway:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    all of the things other said, but I wanted to add that yoga really does make your other exercise much better.

I returned to dong yoga recently after many years. I knew it would provide strength and flexibility and additional toning, but what surprised me (and probably shouldn't have) was that my regular aerobic and body sculpting/toning is so much better. SO MUCH. For example, I don't know about you, but it usually takes me nearly 20 sit-ups before I really start feeling it deep and in my lower abs. Since adding yoga 2 or 3 times a week, my body is stronger, my form is better so close to every sit-up is a good one.

I really think adding yoga to your fitness routine will make everything else you do to strengthen your body much better.

I'm liking this!
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert and am just starting my own fitness journey I have done yoga in the past for a short amount of time and it is great felt so loose, flexible and fantastic afterwards, I gave up my classes for financial reasons I do have DVDs but prefer to be around an expert that can instruct me to do poses properly. the benefits look great, I would certainly get back into it asap
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    LOVE YOGA!!

It's an amazing stretch after my insanity workout :)
    I do classes and yoga at home ( doyogawithme.com-free at home videos if anyone's interested).
    If you take classes sometimes they target certain body parts - hips and backs I enjoy this as I have tight hips and its really benifical. I also love the sleepy time yoga, I always sleep well after it .

Benefits-
    Relaxing, distressing, better sleep, more flexibility , amazed in myself ( have been able to introvert a few times sucessfuly), arms and core strength as well. It's helped my butt and thighs to :p and I like being able to wear comfy clothes :)!

Also wanted to add its helped my arms tone up
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I would like to try for the stretching but no men do it in my gym, would feel uncomfortable.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say that they lost a lot of fat from doing yoga alone. I am skeptical about that one..
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say that they lost a lot of fat from doing yoga alone. I am skeptical about that one..

Well, you'll lose a lot more fat from doing yoga in a class than doing yoga alone.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Well, you'll lose a lot more fat from doing yoga in a class than doing yoga alone.

Nice Carl :laugh:

I do a lot of yoga, by most people's standards. What do I get out of it? Whatever I put into it.
    Some people want to sweat and burn calories, some people want to stretch and relax, some want to build strength, others want to meditate. You can do all of these, but you really need to set aside ample time.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love the way my body feels after a session but I do it purely to reduce stress levels. I havent kicked a puppy in weeks.
  • dazzlejazz
    Options
    Yoga REALLY helps with your breath too. It's great to do a yoga session before you do any other form of exercise. It has fantastic health benefits, helps with flexibility (great for your adult fun time!) makes you more capable of dealing with what life throws your way, improves your posture...I could go on (but I wont!)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I love the way my body feels after a session but I do it purely to reduce stress levels. I havent kicked a puppy in weeks.

Bonus! :bigsmile:
  • ic8990
    ic8990 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hate doing cardio. Some ppl are into it, but for me it's just boring and repetitive. The most cardio I do is walking my dog. I nvr miss out on yoga. I do yoga 5 to 7 times a week for 40-60 mins. And I started in February, and I can honestly tell you that it has changed my body. In as little as two weeks, I saw muscle definition in my arm and tummy. Sure, toning up in yoga is slower than other exercising regimens, but i love it that it never makes me feel sore or causes pain in my joints.

My strength and stamina has increase tremendously. All the breathing helps.

You get what you put into yoga, and I do believe yoga can give the female form the benefits of strength training without all the bulk.
    Plus yoga literally makes me feel like Im walking on air after every session. I'm a huge fan and this is something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life. Yoga has that power over you, your body eventually will ask you to do it.