Some questions about protein needs!

Options
I've been happily using this site for over a year - not so much for weight loss, but to keep myself in check and in good health. Last year I started running, and for the most part it's been my main form of exercise. Mostly from influence of the posters in the forums, I recently began training with some weight machines, in an attempt to see some actual physical results (which were pretty unimpressive from just running alone).

My question is, now that I've begun to do both cardio and strength training, do I need to up my protein? Will this be beneficial to me, or will the difference be negligible? I'm not afraid that I'm gonna get bulky, I know I don't eat enough for that, I just want to tone more efficiently and am wondering if this a key element to success. I'm living on a meal plan until August which doesn't have many protein-rich options, and additionally I'm curious if investing in protein powder is a good idea (if it's even necessary), and what would be best. Thanks for any advice in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jsenecal12
    Options
    Bump...?
  • rendonjr
    rendonjr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, without knowing your current meal plan it is hard to answer since you didnt state your current intake . Foods I eat to cover my daily protein even though I am a male eating 250G a day are as follows:

tofu
    edemame
    egg whites lots of whites, love them with broccoli and ham.
    fish
    shrimp
    scallops
    chicken
    turkey
    cottage cheese
    cheese
    beef- 2 times weekly.

I usually end up short so I do supplement with a shake or two or if I am in a pinch.

I use BSN syntha 6. good mixture of protein, carbs, and fiber. Tastes good and mixes well too. It is cheaper than most. I get it on bodybuilding.com with very low shipping and no tax to Texas.