super juice dieting good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for ask your replies, I know about the fibre thing when juicing, and I did think that not eating food is bad but wasn't sure if you are getting the nutrients you need whether it matters if they are solid or liquid many vegetarians get everything they need from fruit and veg after all. I got confused about the water weight thing because you are still putting fluid into your body so how can you be losing water weight? I'm not arguing I'm simply asking a qu estion because I'm new to this...I am trying to currently eat a better calorie deficient diet so maybe I should look at including smoothies...any more info on detoxing, someone says you're body does it yourself does that mean don't bother trying to help?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses

Most vegetarians get a lot of what they need from things like dairy, legumes and nuts etc as well as fruits and veggies. Vegans do not have dairy but need to be careful to get enough nutrients because of the restrictions and have to be particularly careful to get B12.
  • jc4mee
    jc4mee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you are only looking at 7 days and you are juicing mostly veggies, I don't see where it would be a problem. I don't know that I would do any intense exercise during that time though. Another key aspect would be how much weight you have to lose. In the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead they were quite obese and were under regular medical supervision. It doesn't seem wise to go on a juice fast for a long term without medical supervision. Would love to know what you decide and how it turns out.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes.

Fat, sick and almost dead is a video that will make you not even want to read the responses here from ppl who have no experience, no clue.

That documentary is one sided, biased, and pushing an agenda. Heck, pretty much every documentary is. After watching it, people need to do additional research instead of taking what is said there as gospel.

Juicing and smoothies alone is not a viable or smart way to go about losing weight. All you are doing is creating a large (usually too large) deficit without getting the nutrients you need.

Incorporating into a diet that is balanced with dietary fats and protein can work quite well. I often do smoothies for breakfast, after workouts, or as a snack.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Why not try doing one green smoothie meal a day - with 2 low calorie meals to equal your calorie goal? That would help you get some green, raw vegetables into your diet and be a very low calorie meal. If you don't want to make your own green smoothies, they come ready made in a bottle in the produce or juice section of many supermarkets.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have just started my fitness journey due to bad fitness levels and weight gain, I am improving my diet and exercising 3 times weekly at the moment. I have been told by a friend, who hasn't done it, to try a super juice diet by Jason vale. Its seven days of no food, purely fresh juices and smoothies. It says you will lose 7lbs in 7 days but is this a healthy and/or lasting way to do it? Apparently you get all the nutrients required in just the juice and this is combined with almost daily exercise of some kind. But what about the sugars in juices? Is this a route to go or avo id? Has anyone else tried it or similar? additionally will it be a good detox or cleanser to kick start my journey?

Bad idea. Just eat at a sensible caloric deficit, track your foods accurately, drink water, exercise and be patient. This notion of there being some sort of great way to "kick start" "boost" one's metabolism or as a way to begin weight loss, etc. is B.S. Just go about things in a reasonably sane way and you'll do great.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for ask your replies, I know about the fibre thing when juicing, and I did think that not eating food is bad but wasn't sure if you are getting the nutrients you need whether it matters if they are solid or liquid many vegetarians get everything they need from fruit and veg after all. I got confused about the water weight thing because you are still putting fluid into your body so how can you be losing water weight? I'm not arguing I'm simply asking a qu estion because I'm new to this...I am trying to currently eat a better calorie deficient diet so maybe I should look at including smoothies...any more info on detoxing, someone says you're body does it yourself does that mean don't bother trying to help?

Vegetarians get everything they need from fruits, vegetables, and legumes... sometimes dairy. There's more to it. We eat a variety of foods to get the variety of nutrients. Juices and smoothies are good additions to your food intake, but please do not go days with just smoothies or whatever. As a hippy vegetarian, I have seen and read many things dealing with "detoxing" and smoothies... the problem is, they are misleading. They are trying to sell you something. Moderation in everything, nothing is "evil." Even meat.

Just make sure you get a scale so you can weigh your portions, it's much more accurate.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    If you are skeptical about it, there is usually a reason why.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes.

Fat, sick and almost dead is a video that will make you not even want to read the responses here from ppl who have no experience, no clue.

That documentary is one sided, biased, and pushing an agenda. Heck, pretty much every documentary is. After watching it, people need to do additional research instead of taking what is said there as gospel.

Juicing and smoothies alone is not a viable or smart way to go about losing weight. All you are doing is creating a large (usually too large) deficit without getting the nutrients you need.

Incorporating into a diet that is balanced with dietary fats and protein can work quite well. I often do smoothies for breakfast, after workouts, or as a snack.

I watched it. What I learned is that I need a $300 juicer and to be crazy rich so I can just take off 6 months of work to just juice and work on improving myself, in-between regular Dr and nutritionist visits..
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Since I started juicing is when my weight started too drop. It's helped me to get my sugar intake under control, and to change my palate so now I eat about 1lb of salad a day (with oj for dressing). I don't see how juicing organic vegetables in fruit is putting garbage into your body. Most people are so underfed when it comes to vitamin & minerals and veggies and fruit are the best way to get those. I'm not on a diet myself I'm on a journey to live as long and healthy as I can. Juicing and smoothies will be a part of it.

Legit question. Are you just incorporating fruits and veggies into an otherwise balanced diet (where you get fats and proteins and have a reasonable deficit) or are you talking about just drinking juice?

Great question!

I've never gone on a juice fast. For me that's too much like dieting and I'm changing my relationship with food. I take chia seeds and mix them in with my juice, 1 tbsp is about 5% of your daily fiber. I also have salads, and smoothies in which I blend in other raw nuts and seeds.

I've never had a problem getting enough protein into my diet in the past. I ate lots & lots of meat, dairy & cheese. Getting to a place. What I was not eating enough of is vegetables specifically green leafy veggies. This is why I love juicing and smoothies because I believe most people don't get nearly enough of green super food.

As far as labeling my self I guess I'm 80% raw almost vegan, but I do eat a bit of seafood sometimes but avoid almost all dairy and eggs. I would consider going on a juice cleanse I don't like the word fast that implies you are not giving your body nutrition. Right now I don't think my body needs it.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Why not try doing one green smoothie meal a day - with 2 low calorie meals to equal your calorie goal? That would help you get some green, raw vegetables into your diet and be a very low calorie meal. If you don't want to make your own green smoothies, they come ready made in a bottle in the produce or juice section of many supermarkets.

Good way of starting off introducing juices one at a time maybe breakfast and or after work out
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Some great advice folks thanks, I don't think I'll be doing the fast but will certainly consider introducing juices and smoothies into my diet, I eat raw veg, fruit and salad anyway but probably not enough. Following advice and research I believe I need to increase my daily calories anyway so this may help. I'll be continuing my exercises and varied diet plus juices and smoothies, fingers crossed I get some results!